ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 79 of 295
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****The Clyde Edwards-Helaire Thread*****
Dante84 10:09 PM 04-23-2020
More to come! (I'll clean it up later - info dump into the OP)

(mod edit, all the goodness is in the spoiler tags)
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:21 PM 05-13-2020
The run against the Vikings and to a lesser extent the Chargers TDs were huge, to be sure (I don't think a back can run any harder than he ran against the Chargers in week 17 - he was a fucking load, man).

I remember the energy in the stadium in that Vikings game. 3 straight home losses, PM was hurt and that game had just turned into a slog where they just couldn't seem to find a working gear anywhere. Chiefs start the half punt/fumble and it looked for all the world like a 31-20 sort of game. The Vikings seemed right on the edge of getting a back-breaking score and the Chiefs offense was just teetering. Apart from the Hill TD, there had been nothing and you could feel the anxiety in the crowd.

Then Williams put Harrison Smith in a body bag and everything changed. And frankly, despite the bizarre Titans loss, that Vikings game did so much for the team that it really was a turning point for the season even if the winning streak didn't really start until the Chargers game. They so thoroughly dominated TN and needed so much crazy shit to happen to lose that you still felt like they'd gotten things back online after the Vikes win.

Williams was MASSIVE last year and people try to build up the CEH pick by undermining Williams contributions. I just don't think that's fair to the guy.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:21 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Don't forget Seals-Jones.

I mean you've got 2 RBs that can split out and 2 TEs who could both play the 'move TE' role. Oh yeah, and Tyreek played RB in college and Sammy is very possibly better in space than ALL of them.

Andy's getting near that mythical 'positionless football' status with his skill position players.

I bet the dude just gets a hard-on four or five times/day while sitting in his basement diagramming plays.
Yea it’s easy to forget about Seales-Jones but that’s just simply something we didn’t have last year. He’s a legitimate mismatch creator as a TE2 with Kelce.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:32 PM 05-13-2020
Then Williams put Harrison Smith in a body bag and everything changed. And frankly, despite the bizarre Titans loss, that Vikings game did so much for the team that it really was a turning point for the season even if the winning streak didn't really start until the Chargers game. They so thoroughly dominated TN and needed so much crazy shit to happen to lose that you still felt like they'd gotten things back online after the Vikes win.

Williams was MASSIVE last year and people try to build up the CEH pick by undermining Williams contributions. I just don't think that's fair to the guy.
Funnily enough, I think everyone remembers Reek catching Williams on the run that they forget about just how stellar of a run Williams had. Williams also gets grief because of how his YPC was impacted by long runs - but these long runs weren’t straight lines. He had to bury the defenders in each in order to hit paydirt. The guy was just a perfect fit in our O the past two posts seasons and I’m amazed at how easily people forget it.

My hope is that Andy has a Ware/West like dynamic but now with two much stronger runners, with CEH getting the majority of the load.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:41 PM 05-13-2020
Don't forget Seals-Jones.

I mean you've got 2 RBs that can split out and 2 TEs who could both play the 'move TE' role. Oh yeah, and Tyreek played RB in college and Sammy is very possibly better in space than ALL of them.

Andy's getting near that mythical 'positionless football' status with his skill position players.

I bet the dude just gets a hard-on four or five times/day while sitting in his basement diagramming plays.
I haven't seen enough of Seals-Jones to understand what all he brings to the table. I recall him being a UDFA, but I don't know much else about him (outside of his injuries). This seems like a weird place, but can you talk a little about him?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:41 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yes, Williams will be the “starter”, but they didn’t draft a RB in the 1st round to not use him a ton.

Everybody wants to point to Hunt and Ware. Hunt was a 3rd round pick. The Seahawks are the only team I can think of recently that took at RB in the 1st round and didn’t give them RB1 level touches.
It looks like the feature back in a Reid offense can reasonably expect around 250-275 rushing attempts per season. Per game that's only 15-17 with likely another 3-4 catches per match.

Even if we dip into D Will's touches for CEH, how many is he likely to get?

Reid had prime Jamaal Charles and Kareem Hunt and famously underused them at times. I'm just not sure he's truly going to be all in on the give-CEH-all-the-touches train from week 1.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:44 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think you can combine them really. CEH can theoretically play some slot WR and you can do some 2 back stuff. There's plenty of carries and touches to go around.
As I've noted all along, CEH isn't just a back. He's like adding a Swiss Army knife to the offense with his legitimate receiving skills.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:45 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
It looks like the feature back in a Reid offense can reasonably expect around 250-275 rushing attempts per season. Per game that's only 15-17 with likely another 3-4 catches per match.

Reid had prime Jamaal Charles and Kareem Hunt and famously underused them at times. I'm just not sure he's truly going to be all in on the give-CEH-all-the-touches train from week 1.
He underused Hunt to the tune of a rushing title.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:45 PM 05-13-2020

He might not get feature back touches week 1, but he will still get plenty.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:52 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Did you notice I said "at times"?

That rushing title had a lot to do with KHunt averaging nearly 5 YPC and it being a down year across the league. His 1327 rushing yards that year was the lowest total for a rushing leader since 1990.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:57 PM 05-13-2020
Did you notice I said "at times"?

That rushing title had a lot to do with KHunt averaging nearly 5 YPC and it being a down year across the league. His 1327 rushing yards that year was the lowest total for a rushing leader since 1990.
But the point still stands, you act like the idea of CEH getting 1,000 yards rushing catching 50 passes and scoring 10 TD’s is completely unrealistic.

He’s a stud, a perfect fit, and they invested a very high pick in him. They’re going to use him a lot. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:02 PM 05-13-2020
I haven't seen enough of Seals-Jones to understand what all he brings to the table. I recall him being a UDFA, but I don't know much else about him (outside of his injuries). This seems like a weird place, but can you talk a little about him?
Just something of a freaky size/speed guy who converted from WR at A&M to a TE hybrid sort of player in limited use in AZ and Cleveland.

With Kelce and Jones on the field, you pretty much have to have a LB on Jones. You can't match a LB on Kelce so you're already dedicating a DB to him and unless you just want to play in a dime all day, you're gonna run out of DBs to put on Jones and the RB out of the backfield as well.

So Seals-Jones on a LB is just a mismatch athletically. Now ultimately the guy's been something of a cock-tease his entire career, even going back to A&M. Top 50 national guy, top 3 out of TX, arguably the top WR and even a potential Div. 1 basketball player - supposed to be an absolute star who was supposed to pick up where Mike Evans left off.

By 2015 Christian Kirk is going off for 1,000 yards as a true freshman while Seals-Jones was just...there. A redshirt soph getting lapped on the depth chart by a true freshman ain't a good sign.

In all likelihood Seals-Jones remains as underwhelming as his been his entire career, but he's a set of tools we really didn't have last season and if anyone can figure him out, it's Andy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:05 PM 05-13-2020
And Charles had 330 touches in 15 games in Reid's first season before injuries held him back, the most touches/gm he ever had.

I've done as much litigating of this nonsensical argument as I care to do. It's in the "Reid is a terrible football coach" thread and the argument is just absurd.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:10 PM 05-13-2020
And Charles had 330 touches in 15 games in Reid's first season before injuries held him back, the most touches/gm he ever had.

I've done as much litigating of this nonsensical argument as I care to do. It's in the "Reid is a terrible football coach" thread and the argument is just absurd.
Virus thinks CEH scoring 10 TD’s is unrealistic even though the corpse of Shady had 5 last year.

Not to mention this offense is probably going to score more like 2018 than 2019.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:18 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Virus thinks CEH scoring 10 TD’s is unrealistic even though the corpse of Shady had 5 last year.

Not to mention this offense is probably going to score more like 2018 than 2019.
I'd set the over/under at 8.5 and I'm not sure where I'd actually end up betting. Probably the over.

I don't think 10 is a given, nor do I think it's an absurd suggestion. It's in play.

But just realize that if Williams comes out as hot to start 2020 as he was to end 2019, CEH could end up relegated to more of a 3rd down role. It's not impossible and Williams may well end up dictating CEH's trajectory. Andy's nothing if not loyal and he'll remember what Williams did for this team over the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.

Veach made a fair point when he noted how often Williams flat missed a read on a play that was blocked up well, but Reid will remember that late-season productivity.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:20 PM 05-13-2020
I'd set the over/under at 8.5 and I'm not sure where I'd actually end up betting. Probably the over.

I don't think 10 is a given, nor do I think it's an absurd suggestion. It's in play.

But just realize that if Williams comes out as hot to start 2020 as he was to end 2019, CEH could end up relegated to more of a 3rd down role. It's not impossible and Williams may well end up dictating CEH's trajectory. Andy's nothing if not loyal and he'll remember what Williams did for this team over the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.

Veach made a fair point when he noted how often Williams flat missed a read on a play that was blocked up well, but Reid will remember that late-season productivity.
Oh in no way am I saying it’s a given, but when RunKC made his prediction he thought it was unrealistic. Optimistic? Sure. But when Shady had 5 last year, I don’t see how it’s unrealistic at all.
[Reply]
Page 79 of 295
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179 > Last »
Up