ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 76 of 324
« First < 26667273747576 7778798086126176 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Gravedigger 08:25 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
What do you guys think about tagging and trading ford for Clowney?
Clowney is the most overrated OLB/DE, he came out of the draft and everyone looked at his measurables and said ,"He's a freak, he's going to be great!" No, he's not. He's subpar with his gifts so let someone else make a mistake paying him so he fades into obscurity. You have to get value for the trade and I'd rather trade Ford plus a pick for a great player then just swapping guys we have no intention of keeping around.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:29 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
Clowney is the most overrated OLB/DE, he came out of the draft and everyone looked at his measurables and said ,"He's a freak, he's going to be great!" No, he's not. He's subpar with his gifts so let someone else make a mistake paying him so he fades into obscurity. You have to get value for the trade and I'd rather trade Ford plus a pick for a great player then just swapping guys we have no intention of keeping around.
I mean he’s playing out of position in Houston and he is amazing at run stopping
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:31 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by tmax63:
Depends on what you're calling a rookie. I can see Fuller and Ward as the CB and Watts/Lucas as Safeties. Ward, Watts, and Lucas all got in some playing time this year. Ward showed real week to week improvement and I see him as CB2. I think it would take a really special rookie to beat him out next spring. Safety, with or without EB, is a question. Didn't get to see enough of Watts or Lucas playing to get a good gauge on where their at. I thought both showed promise but Lucas did it in less playing time.

I still surprised at how well the Chiefs defensive players match up to a 4-3 alignment without any changes. Only talking a couple of guys who "don't fit" somewhere, almost all the arguments here is cost/production which is the same arguments we have here year after year after year after year...
I like Ward and Fuller a lot as 2/3rds of your primary corner stable. Fuller's really best in the slot, but yeah. You need one more high talent guy. Watts and Lucas both play more of a FS, we'll need more of a SS in this new defense. Berry's great at that but will not be available, and wildly expensive at $16+ million. That's not a spot you want a rookie when you're trying to cover Gronk to get to the SB. If you're keeping Ford, his only real position is RDE, and his liability against the run is going to be real problem. $15 million. If you keep Houston without restructuring, that's $21.1 million for a SAM backer. Not typically a high dollar resource; less sacks, some coverage responsibilities, and primarily run stuffer.
If you tag and trade Ford, get a #2 roughly for him, You can draft his replacement without having to rely on him to produce immediately. you can play Houston at RDE, where he'd be a plus player. At $21.1 million, you still need to restructure, as that's WAY too much money if you're trying to field a solid defense.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:39 AM 01-28-2019
Ideally, this what I think-
Bye Berry, $9m savings.
Bye Ford, tag and trade net #2, $15m
Restructure Houston's deal, convert chunk to bonus, etc. try to get it down to something like $13m cap hit. $8m savings.
That's an extra $30 m.
Houston plays RDE next to Jones. Both with a single blocker in front of them, as the 4-3 dictates.
Sign S Landon Collins for $15 m per.
Sign SAM Anthony Barr for $10m
Front 7 looks pretty tight, S is no longer a glaring weakness.
Draft CB's and a DE/EDGE to rotate with Houston and take that spot in a year or two.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:40 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I am 100% behind this.

If it were me, I’d say goodbye to EB this off-season, trade Dee and re-structure JH. If JH doesn’t re-structure I’d hold onto him one more year.

If JH wasn’t still a top 3 impact guy, I’d be willing to part ways - but not when we’re already losing our top rusher from the other side (Ford). If I trusted Veach to draft I’d feel differently, but Speaks hasn’t shown he can be a suitable replacement for anyone so far, so the defense would have to add even more enormous holes to fill.
I agree with the sentiment, but you literally can't pay JH $21.1 million dollars in 2019. Tying up that much money on a #31 defense could literally keep you from the SB.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:43 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Ideally, this what I think-
Bye Berry, $9m savings.
Bye Ford, tag and trade net #2, $15m
Restructure Houston's deal, convert chunk to bonus, etc. try to get it down to something like $13m cap hit. $8m savings.
That's an extra $30 m.
Houston plays RDE next to Jones. Both with a single blocker in front of them, as the 4-3 dictates.
Sign S Landon Collins for $15 m per.
Sign SAM Anthony Barr for $10m
Front 7 looks pretty tight, S is no longer a glaring weakness.
Draft CB's and a DE/EDGE to rotate with Houston and take that spot in a year or two.
Safety pay is stagnating and declining year over year. Absolutely no way you'll have to pay him 15 million a year.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:49 AM 01-28-2019
Clowney is a clown. He’s the main reason why we had to hear about TEH COLTS OL!!!!!11 because he kept getting fucking abused by them.

And you wanna talk about Justin Houston and questionable effort? Boy, you’re sure to love Clowney then!!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:53 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Safety pay is stagnating and declining year over year. Absolutely no way you'll have to pay him 15 million a year.
Generally, yeah. He's in prime years, but if you're right, even better. You could probably afford a 2nd tier WLB compete with DoD in that case as well.

You can just fill SO MANY holes if we get out from these albatross contracts is my point. If we're overhauling the defense, then let's OVERHAUL THE DEFENSE.
[Reply]
O.city 08:58 AM 01-28-2019
If you're gonna go with the traditional 43, yeah Clowney would be an option. He'd be a monster at DE next to Jones at DT
[Reply]
O.city 08:59 AM 01-28-2019
I'm not excited to get out of the albatross contract with one safety only to jump back in on another.

Just draft some guys at safety
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:59 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I mean he’s playing out of position in Houston and he is amazing at run stopping
Clowney would be AWESOME in Spag's defense, but unfortunately the cost is way too prohibitive. You can't give him the kind of contract he's gonna want when you're paying Houston and Berry big money and needing to invest another significant contract in the secondary this off-season.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:00 AM 01-28-2019
the guys at RGR Football speculate they'll just release Ford AND Houston - I guess we'll know something within about 4 weeks or so.

Don't shoot the messenger

[Reply]
RunKC 09:00 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Then **** Aaron Donald and Kahlil Mack, too. They have plenty of questionable effort plays per game.
It wasn’t just any game. It was the Ravens game that ended up deciding if we got HFA. By far the most important of the year at the time.

Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack aren’t 30. They also haven’t missed 44% of their games the last 4 years like Houston.

Christ almighty. That isn’t worth $21 million.

Just turn his $5.6 million prorated money into a guaranteed bonus and lower his shitty cap hit to $15.5 million and figure out what the fuck to do with him in 2020.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:01 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm not excited to get out of the albatross contract with one safety only to jump back in on another.

Just draft some guys at safety
Collins wouldn't be an albatross, is 26, with his prime right in front of you.

You need some veteran playmakers, you can't just go all rookies and 2nd year guys if you're this close to a SB.
[Reply]
tmax63 09:02 AM 01-28-2019
I agree EB should be gone. I was a big supporter of his but over the last 2 years the Chiefs have lost every game he's played in. Even if it only saves a hundred bucks and a spot at the homeless shelter it's time for him to move on. JH's cost/production says he should be gone. Rarely are players willing to take a pay cut/restructure. DF's 1 year production in a contract year says tag or tag/trade but not long term contract. Any/all 3 can be replaced with adequate "better fit" FA vets and save money and not get any worse overall. CJ led the team in sacks so replacing DF and JH 1.5 sacks/game isn't as hard to do as one would think.
[Reply]
Page 76 of 324
« First < 26667273747576 7778798086126176 > Last »
Up