ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 76 of 202
« First < 26667273747576 7778798086126176 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:11 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Clark was asked today about Berry and below is what he said. It doesn't sound real promising but who knows. I rarely agree with KK but he was discussing what Clark said today and said he believes the Chiefs have medically cleared Berry, it is just up to him whether he wants to play or not.
I think it's pretty obvious that the Chiefs cleared him to play. Otherwise, they would have put him on IR.

They put it in his hands. That's the only explanation as to why he's not playing by now is that he doesn't feel like he can.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:13 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:
Maybe he really isn’t ready and we’re just freaking out like usual.

I gotta feeling he’ll be back soon. Maybe after bye week.
If he's not ready now, after resting this long, how is he ever going to be ready?

This isn't a ligament tear or strain that requires healing time. It's an ongoing chronic pain issue. It either hurts so bad he can't play or it doesn't.

I'm not faulting him if he feels like he can't play but if he can't play now, there's not much chance he'll be able to play any other time this season.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:15 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Clark was asked today about Berry and below is what he said. It doesn't sound real promising but who knows. I rarely agree with KK but he was discussing what Clark said today and said he believes the Chiefs have medically cleared Berry, it is just up to him whether he wants to play or not.

Originally Posted by :
“It’s no different than what you’ve heard from Andy (Reid) or Rick Burkholder,” Hunt said. “It literally is day to day. I do know that nobody’s working harder at his rehab than Eric. Eric is a young man who loves the game of football and wants to be out there on the field, and as soon as he feels that he’s ready, he’s going to be out there.”

Hunt was then asked if it is an expectation that Berry would play this season. Hunt wouldn’t say that.

“You know, I really don’t have an expectation,” he said. “That’s a decision that Eric, along with our medical staff going to have to make and I don’t want to step in front of that.”
I'm not sure Clark's comments are consistent. If the team has cleared him, he's not playing (or practicing), then it's hard for me to believe he loves the game and wants to be out there. Perhaps Clark isn't willing to throw his doctors under the bus, but if they've cleared a man to play who is physically debilitated, they kind of suck.

But minimally Clark has to be a leader and establish a date for his return, or he's cut. For them this is a business, Eric knows that, so when they establish a date, it should come as no surprise to him.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:40 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I think it's pretty obvious that the Chiefs cleared him to play. Otherwise, they would have put him on IR.

They put it in his hands. That's the only explanation as to why he's not playing by now is that he doesn't feel like he can.
Yep I agree. That is why they have labeled him day to day to maybe push Berry to play and to say on their side of it he can play if he wants to play.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:56 PM 10-29-2018
"The majority of patients who undergo the resection of haglunds deformity procedure will experience a full recovery within a period of 4-6 weeks following surgery."

So...he could be half way heeled by now?
[Reply]
Maine 04:01 PM 10-29-2018
This is a very minor thing. He should have been on the field weeks ago.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:10 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
"The majority of patients who undergo the resection of haglunds deformity procedure will experience a full recovery within a period of 4-6 weeks following surgery."

So...he could be half way heeled by now?
But he didn't have the surgery, and I just don't understand why he didn't get the surgery back in Aug when he was inj. They had to have known what the diag was then right? Why not fix the problem? :-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:15 PM 10-29-2018
This could be cover for another injury the public isn't privy to.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:16 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
But he didn't have the surgery, and I just don't understand why he didn't get the surgery back in Aug when he was inj. They had to have known what the diag was then right? Why not fix the problem? :-)
I'm gonna go ahead and guess they thought he'd play through the pain.

I'm not really in either camp (Pro-Berry or Anti-Berry), but there's clearly a piece of this story that's missing from the public eye.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:19 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Do we know he didn't have the surgery?
[Reply]
FAX 05:20 PM 10-29-2018
I have a new theory. Want to hear it? Ok, then ...

I surmise that EB has undergone an experimental therapy in which they inject his heel with a substance designed to erode the deformity. Keep in mind that, since it's experimental and all, nobody could forecast the time required to achieve the desired outcome.

This experimental therapy also probably requires a series of injections administered over several weeks or months. You know, in order to gradually dissolve the deformity and allow healing between treatments to occur.

This means that EB is not only the team's official cheerleader and motivational speaker, but he's also a human laboratory who is willing to serve that function in order to provide hope to other Haglund's Deformity sufferers worldwide. All of us who have friends or family members who suffer from Haglund's Deformity should be grateful to EB for his sacrifice.

FAX
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:22 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Do we know he didn't have the surgery?
Well although that is a possibility, you don't think the Chiefs/NFL would report that he had surgery? Why would this be any different from any other inj that requires surgical repair?
[Reply]
Sofa King 05:23 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
I have a new theory. Want to hear it? Ok, then ...

I surmise that EB has undergone an experimental therapy in which they inject his heel with a substance designed to erode the deformity. Keep in mind that, since it's experimental and all, nobody could forecast the time required to achieve the desired outcome.

This experimental therapy also probably requires a series of injections administered over several weeks or months. You know, in order to gradually dissolve the deformity and allow healing between treatments to occur.

This means that EB is not only the team's official cheerleader and motivational speaker, but he's also a human laboratory who is willing to serve that function in order to provide hope to other Haglund's Deformity sufferers worldwide. All of us who have friends or family members who suffer from Haglund's Deformity should be grateful to EB for his sacrifice.

FAX
To take this a step further, now the substance has spread throughout his body, disolving all bone. He is now too spineless to play.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:28 PM 10-29-2018
Public didn't know about the actual diag on his foot til just a month ago, I just don't understand the hush/hush and (very) odd handling of the whole deal. And his contract makes matters 1000x worse.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:34 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
This could be cover for another injury the public isn't privy to.
It could be. But him getting cut should be what happens because that's not what's being fed. Unless you think the Chiefs are in on it?
[Reply]
Page 76 of 202
« First < 26667273747576 7778798086126176 > Last »
Up