ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 72 of 103
« First < 22626869707172 7374757682 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2018 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:36 PM 07-30-2018
The beginning of the 2018 season is a little under five weeks away. Missouri enters the year projected to finish 4th in the East, and may be a borderline Top 25 team according to some projection systems. After a disappointing recruiting cycle last year, pressure is on Odom to restock the cupboard after the senior years of Lock and Beckner, who will go down as two of the better Tigers in history and likely first round draft picks.

Schedule:

Spoiler!

Recruiting:

Spoiler!

At this point, the class is ranked 68-69 nationally by Rivals and 24/7. Odom is going to have to rely on Pinkel's diamond-in-the-rough approach. It looks like they've pulled back considerably from Georgia, focusing more upon Texas, which is what they should have always done. Unfortunately, they've done horrific in-state, and I think that will likely end up being the nail in Odom's coffin after the 2019 season.

12/19 Update: A strong finish late in the cycle moved the class up significantly. Securing commitments from grad transfer Kelly Bryant and TCU transfer Shawn Robinson has solidified the QB position in the short and intermediate term. A class that was ranked in the 60's at the beginning of the season is now a top 20-30 class factoring in transfers.

Hamas' Crystal Ball: 8-4; 4-4 in the SEC (wins vs. Ark, Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky)
[Reply]
gblowfish 09:19 PM 11-23-2018
As long as we don't agree to play Texas in the Texas Bowl again...
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:20 PM 11-23-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think Odom has won me back over. I was ready to unplug after the Kentucky game. I thought he was toast.

But to get this team to respond again with its back to the wall - for the second straight year - means a lot. Seeing his players start to gain experience and work their way in on D and make big impacts is encouraging.

He’s shown he can motivate his players and get them to go to the wall for him. He’s shown he can find and develop lesser-regarded talent.

There are still pieces that need to improve - he needs to start his teams better, the fine points of game and clock management need to improve, and his recruiting needs to take another notch up.

But I’m interested. If he gets Bryant for next year, he could get it to 10 wins and really drive this forward.
Special teams are also horrific.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:40 AM 11-24-2018
I think Odom has won me back over. I was ready to unplug after the Kentucky game. I thought he was toast.

But to get this team to respond again with its back to the wall - for the second straight year - means a lot. Seeing his players start to gain experience and work their way in on D and make big impacts is encouraging.

He’s shown he can motivate his players and get them to go to the wall for him. He’s shown he can find and develop lesser-regarded talent.

There are still pieces that need to improve - he needs to start his teams better, the fine points of game and clock management need to improve, and his recruiting needs to take another notch up.

But I’m interested. If he gets Bryant for next year, he could get it to 10 wins and really drive this forward.
If you look at this team right now, there is reason for optimism if they can get Bryant. 3 very good RB's all will be back....the Receivers are starting to look better and I think someone can step in and take over Emmanuel Hall's place as the go to receiver. We are set at TE, even if they put the one guy back at DE next year.

The defense will lose Beckner, but some of the underclassmen have stepped up recently.

We need a dependable kicker....and a punter to replace Fatony. There has got to be someone in Mizzou that can fill those shoes.

Hamas is right.....our Special Teams are poor, if not terrible.

And at some point, Mizzou needs to figure out how to cover the TE over the middle. It has been our weak spot for a long time.

We have the core to build on....getting Bryant might attract some other 3*/4* guys who might not otherwise pick MU.

But if we don't land Bryant, we are in for a long year.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 09:49 AM 11-24-2018
Honest question:

What has Odom done to show that the "success" he's had isn't due in large part to Lock? What has he done recruiting and coaching wise to show that he's the guy?

I'd be scared shitless next year, if I were him, if they don't land Bryant.

At least this year I think the record isn't just smoke and mirrors like I think last year's record was.
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 09:53 AM 11-24-2018
Elway was there? Probably thought it was Farrier Field
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:23 AM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Honest question:

What has Odom done to show that the "success" he's had isn't due in large part to Lock? What has he done recruiting and coaching wise to show that he's the guy?

At least this year I think the record isn't just smoke and mirrors like I think last year's record was.
Odom hasn't accomplished anymore than say...Stoops at Kentucky in his first 3 years. Actually I take that back...Stoops underachieved his first 3 years at Kentucky.

And honestly you could say that Stoops success recently has probably had something to do with Benny Snell being there.

It's the same knock they put on Malzahn at one point too...the Coach is only successful as the players they inherited.

Odom may not be "the guy" for Mizzou long term. But I will give him credit for his team not quitting after losing 4. (well really 2 considering what I outlined in my other post about the Kentucky game and the SC game).

They went into 2 tough places to win on the road (Florida and TN) and kicked their butts big time.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:26 AM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Honest question:

Lock is definitely a huge part of the success.

But Odom certainly looks to have turned things defensively, and that’s on the back of Odom’s young players getting into the secondary and at DE.

His staff has recruited very well in that second tier of not-heavily recruited players and pulled some good young talent.

They haven’t recruited many stars, but they have evaluated and developed well at the three-star level, which is critical for Missouri.

This staff has a keen eye for RBs and DTs, especially. Tyler Badie, Larry Rountree, even Bhakare are all guys with low recruiting rankings who have been excellent for Mizzou.

And with all that, theyre in trouble at QB without a transfer of some sort. Josh Heupel did a really shitty job leading the QB recruiting the past few years, and the piper might have to be paid next season.

The biggest mistake Odom made probably was with Demontie Cross. Odom was 5-10 with him and is now 14-8 since canning Cross and has made real strides on the defensive side of the ball.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:45 AM 11-24-2018
Lock is definitely a huge part of the success.

But Odom certainly looks to have turned things defensively, and that’s on the back of Odom’s young players getting into the secondary and at DE.

His staff has recruited very well in that second tier of not-heavily recruited players and pulled some good young talent.

They haven’t recruited many stars, but they have evaluated and developed well at the three-star level, which is critical for Missouri.

This staff has a keen eye for RBs and DTs, especially. Tyler Badie, Larry Rountree, even Bhakare are all guys with low recruiting rankings who have been excellent for Mizzou.

And with all that, theyre in trouble at QB without a transfer of some sort. Josh Heupel did a really shitty job leading the QB recruiting the past few years, and the piper might have to be paid next season. .
So..let's say worst case scenario that Bryant doesn't come to Mizzou. Who is the starting QB next year? Powell?

We should still have a good running game, with basically 4 backs in the stable with Crockett, Rountree, Badie and Bhakare. ( I am liking Badie even more after seeing him this year) Our Receivers and TE group is still good, though we will miss Emmanuel Hall.

So how do you keep this Offense good with an average QB?
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:46 AM 11-24-2018
Any scuttlebutt on what the Bowl possibilities may be?
[Reply]
Best22 11:47 AM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Likely Music City, Gator, Liberty, and possibly Outback
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:52 AM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I've seen all kinds of projections.....from the Liberty Bowl to the TaxSlayer Bowl, although I am betting the TaxSlayer takes Auburn if they lose today. The TaxSlayer is all about attendance and not the records so look for them to take someone who travels well.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:56 AM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by Best22:
Likely Music City, Gator, Liberty, and possibly Outback
I think the best 2 chances are Music City Bowl and the Liberty Bowl.....Outback is clamoring for Michigan State and Mississippi State because they both travel well and are big names.

Gator Bowl (Now the TaxSlayer Bowl) won't take us because we don't have the rep of traveling well like others do.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:01 PM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
I think the best 2 chances are Music City Bowl and the Liberty Bowl.....Outback is clamoring for Michigan State and Mississippi State because they both travel well and are big names.

Gator Bowl (Now the TaxSlayer Bowl) won't take us because we don't have the rep of traveling well like others do.
I went to the Liberty Bowl in 1978 when Mizzou beat LSU 20-15. Mizzou got shut out in the 2nd half but managed to hang on. I was a Freshman at Mizzou, and went down with my High School pal Marvin who was a senior at Van Horn. Everything in Memphis was 18 years old, so we engaged in severe debauchery for three days down there. Blew a stupid amount of cash in strip clubs. Had a blast.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:05 PM 11-24-2018
Mizzou fans would travel well to Nashville or Memphis.
[Reply]
Jerm 12:32 PM 11-24-2018
Doesn't fill me with confidence that next season's success is basically dependent on landing a transfer that quite frankly I'd be really surprised comes to Columbia...
[Reply]
Page 72 of 103
« First < 22626869707172 7374757682 > Last »
Up