ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tamba drops a deuce on Alex Smith
T-post Tom 04:27 PM 05-11-2024

Tamba Hali recently admitted that, at times when Patrick Mahomes was on the bench behind Alex Smith in 2017, Chiefs players wanted Mahomes to play. https://t.co/U9kNvalVfY

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) May 11, 2024

I'll throw Florio a bone on this one... or maybe an anvil?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:22 AM 05-12-2024
Alex was who he was. He tried hard. Worked out all the time. Had that inner strength we saw when his leg was in pieces. By all accounts he didnt pull a Rogers and say its not my job to train my replacement. He didn't. Patrick says he helped him be a pro. How to handle his business, Take care of your body. We owe him a thanks.

Alex was who he was. It wasn't in the cards for him or us to win a SB with him under center. We have no idea if everything would turn out the same if Patrick got thrown in as a rookie.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:29 AM 05-12-2024
*inserts retread argument for the 1000th time instead of just enjoying the dynasty*
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:35 AM 05-12-2024
Every now and then, I imagine that Alex Smith got the concussion in that Titans game instead of Travis Kelce.

Just think about it... Mahomes goes in, with the benefit of a full season of practice and getting things down, coming off the confidence-building game against the Broncos... and goes absolute scorched earth on the NFL in the playoffs, with no voluminous game tape to fall back on.

Would have been great fo rhis legend.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:38 AM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by tk13:
Hard to argue against Mahomes, but I do find it weird that often the talented guys who end up sitting like Mahomes, Rodgers, Philip Rivers, even Jordan Love now... they seem to have quite a bit of success. Love looked like he might be the best QB in the NFC at the end. You'd think more teams would see this and try it, but I get most coaches are on the hot seat more than Reid or any of the Packers coaches. You could make a pretty strong argument that letting a raw QB just be a student for the first year is a solid plan compared to "throw him out there and see what you've got."
Mahomes needed time to understand the offense and the mental side of the game. Alex was many things but the best of Alex was his mental side even though he could barely execute in games.

Mahomes himself said that was critical. There was a massive difference between preseason rookie Mahomes and week 17 first start Mahomes.

The Packers developing QB’s proves this as well. We need to adopt the Packers QB strategy moving forward.
[Reply]
PatMahomesIsGod 09:50 AM 05-12-2024
We got a SB with Pat and Fuller from the Deadskins trade.

I’m cool with it.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:55 AM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Mahomes needed time to understand the offense and the mental side of the game. Alex was many things but the best of Alex was his mental side even though he could barely execute in games.

Mahomes himself said that was critical. There was a massive difference between preseason rookie Mahomes and week 17 first start Mahomes.

The Packers developing QB’s proves this as well. We need to adopt the Packers QB strategy moving forward.
Alex was a mid tier starter in the NFL. Lets not pretend he was some scrub like Zach Wilson. He could of been more if the 49ers didn't basically do everything possible to screw up his development.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 10:10 AM 05-12-2024
I think there’s a little revisionist history about just how good rookie Mahomes was.

Yes, he could make all the throws, as evidenced by the preseason and the Broncos game, but he was still a little rough around the edges.

Watch his highlights against the Broncos his rookie year and then watch his highlights against the Broncos from week 4 in 2018 and look at how much more polished he looks in the second game. It’s pretty clear he took a massive step over that offseason.

Von Miller even commented on that during his top 100 video after 2018. Paraphrasing a bit, but essentially he said “Mahomes was impressive for a rookie in 2017. But we thought we knew what to expect from him the next season. When he took the field for that first matchup that year though he was a completely different animal.”

So yeah we probably would’ve beaten the Titans, but pretending Mahomes would’ve won us a Super Bowl if he had been thrown in for the playoffs just isn’t likely true.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:44 AM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Alex was a mid tier starter in the NFL. Lets not pretend he was some scrub like Zach Wilson. He could of been more if the 49ers didn't basically do everything possible to screw up his development.
He was still risk averse and a scared bitch that went fetal at the first sign of pressure. You dont develop out of that.
[Reply]
New World Order 11:56 AM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Honestly, preseason Mahomes looked fantastic.

He looked ready to go out of the gate
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:05 PM 05-12-2024
I think I could have tolerated Alex Smith and the stability he brought if I didn't get the same "But he's a nice guy!" shtick from Mr. Howdy Doody Craps His Pants Matt Cassel.

To go from one to the other when we were STILL drafted QB-less as a franchise since 1983 was a just a bridge too far. Coupled with the weirdo Niner transplants, and there was always that aura of negativity surrounding Alex no matter how well he played.

Now? I'm over it. Wish Alex all the best and hope he enjoys rolling rocks in the shallow ocean to his heart's content. But at the time he wasn't wanted.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:34 PM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I think I could have tolerated Alex Smith and the stability he brought if I didn't get the same "But he's a nice guy!" shtick from Mr. Howdy Doody Craps His Pants Matt Cassel.

To go from one to the other when we were STILL drafted QB-less as a franchise since 1983 was a just a bridge too far. Coupled with the weirdo Niner transplants, and there was always that aura of negativity surrounding Alex no matter how well he played.

Now? I'm over it. Wish Alex all the best and hope he enjoys rolling rocks in the shallow ocean to his heart's content. But at the time he wasn't wanted.

Worded my feelings Perfectly from earlier.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 12:35 PM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Alex was who he was. He tried hard. Worked out all the time. Had that inner strength we saw when his leg was in pieces. By all accounts he didnt pull a Rogers and say its not my job to train my replacement. He didn't. Patrick says he helped him be a pro. How to handle his business, Take care of your body. We owe him a thanks.

Alex was who he was. It wasn't in the cards for him or us to win a SB with him under center. We have no idea if everything would turn out the same if Patrick got thrown in as a rookie.
I don't get the hate.for Smith and I think that I will go with what Mahomes has said...that Alex Smith helped his growth as a QB....

We all knew who Alex Smith was...and oddly enough Andy Reid wanted him here....I think I will trust Andy's judgment on Alex being the QB needed at that time....you know, considering the winning in Philly and the turnaround he did for KC to make us the dynasty we are now.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:38 PM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Mahomes says Smith was good for him. Get over it and stop being a dick.
Blow me. I have a feeling you aren't as old as the rest of us who didn't have to endure what SNR indicated below.

Yes I am bitter. And I'm ok with that.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 12:39 PM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

Guess I missed the part where I thought Cassel was considered a nice guy.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 01:20 PM 05-12-2024
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
Guess I missed the part where I thought Cassel was considered a nice guy.
No shit, dude was an arrogant prick.

That K-Swiss commercial he did was pretty funny, though.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up