Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Trevor Lawrence gets paid
TambaBerry 04:50 PM 06-13-2024
5 years 275, 200 guaranteed
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:53 AM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Sure, he's not the "only one to blame", but I also think many of you are flat out making excuses.

Again, his situation is no worse than Jones, and better in some ways like weapons, yet that's the level of production we've seen. That's not good enough, and no amount of excuses changes that.
The situation may be Jones but at the very worst Trevor Lawrence is probably Alex Smith. Maybe even Eli Manning. At the very worst Jones has been a bottom 5 QB.

Dak has run out of excuses. Trevor has legit ones. But more importantly you already have a safe floor so he's not gonna bust, but those excuses give reason to take a chance on upside. Yeah I'd say being only on year 3 and showing promise up until a significant injury is enough to take a chance on the ceiling
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:58 AM 06-14-2024
Take a look at the 3 week stretch versus Tennessee, Houston, Cincinnati which is when he got hurt. It isn't just the stat line. He was a totally different QB and they did a great job of running all kinds of exotic misdirections and quick throws. Those are really hard to pull off with a bad ankle. So I think you give him the benefit of the doubt that injury impacted him more than it gets credit for
[Reply]
Mecca 11:31 AM 06-14-2024
This is no different than the spot a lot of teams get in.

Lawrence isn't an elite QB but what the fuck are you supposed to do? Start over and pray?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:50 AM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
The fact that you compare his contract to Kelce's indicates that you completely miss the point.
I get it. QBs have more of an impact and it's is obviously a harder position to play. But he's not that good and this is a QB friendly era. They can always draft someone and try to develop him. If it doesn't work out, oh well, that's how it goes in this league.

I'm no salary cap expert but tying yourself to this QB for years plus having him take up a significant part of the salary cap isn't the way to go. Kelces contract is.

Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
You didn’t disprove his point though? Mahomes is a generational talent, maybe even better than that tbh, but I just don’t know the word for it…

When you compare Lawrence to Mahomes, the deal makes no sense. But let’s compare him to say Herbert, who was awful last year. What about Rodgers who is on his last legs and was out all season last year?? I guess the closest thing to Mahomes would be maybe Lamar and Jalen hurts? CJ stroud?? Those 3 guys and Lawrence aren’t too far off. Jalen and Lawrence’s extensions are relatively the same… who would you rather have?? Lawrence or Jalen?? I think we’d pick Jalen, but is the gap really even that big??

I think your problem, and anyone who disagrees with the extension is you’re comparing him to Mahomes and nobody compares lol.
I worded that wrong. I don't mean just Mahomes I mean any elite QB. Lawrence is nothing special.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:46 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
This is no different than the spot a lot of teams get in.

Lawrence isn't an elite QB but what the fuck are you supposed to do? Start over and pray?

Right. I think people will end up saying that JAX got ahead of the QB question and made the right decision a few years from now.

Hell, just looking at his contract on Spotrac, this year his cap hit is just $15.4 million, next year it's $17 million, then it's $24 million . . . he doesn't get near $50 million cap hit until 2028. And right after that season JAX can cut him with a zero cap hit, if I'm reading it right.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:20 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Giving guys like Dak and Trevor a second contract is fine, but if they don't win shit on a rookie deal or second contract, it's probably time to move on as opposed to giving them a gigantic 3rd contract.
You sign them to huge contracts and then you give them better D's and moar weapons...

Oh wait.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:22 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Right. I think people will end up saying that JAX got ahead of the QB question and made the right decision a few years from now.

Hell, just looking at his contract on Spotrac, this year his cap hit is just $15.4 million, next year it's $17 million, then it's $24 million . . . he doesn't get near $50 million cap hit until 2028. And right after that season JAX can cut him with a zero cap hit, if I'm reading it right.
It is 200 mil guaranteed over 5 years at most?

So there's gotta' be some type of dead cap hit.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:29 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
It is 200 mil guaranteed over 5 years at most?

So there's gotta' be some type of dead cap hit.

I just looked at this:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_...revor-lawrence

But I didn't examine it very closely. Just saw the bit there after 2028, "potential out," where it says they can cut him in 2029 blahblahblah.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:12 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I get it. QBs have more of an impact and it's is obviously a harder position to play. But he's not that good and this is a QB friendly era. They can always draft someone and try to develop him. If it doesn't work out, oh well, that's how it goes in this league.

I'm no salary cap expert but tying yourself to this QB for years plus having him take up a significant part of the salary cap isn't the way to go. Kelces contract is.
This is clueless: “If it doesn’t work out, oh well, that’s how it goes in the league.” No, that’s absolutely not how it goes. When you have someone with high highs who’s still young and has a high ceiling, you absolutely don’t just move on to some QB you draft in the back half of the first round. Wanna know the percentage success rate of guys drafted at that point or later? Spoiler: it’s not good.

Trevor Lawrence would be the third best QB in Chiefs history. Think that through. Kelce is a HOF TE and he experienced exactly one playoff win before Mahomes showed up.

Just because you think Kelce is worth X and Lawrence is worth Y doesn’t mean that’s how the market is structured. There are supply and demand components and high level QB play is harder to find than elite skill position performance. And that’s why lots of other teams would’ve jumped at matching that deal if given the opportunity.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:43 PM 06-14-2024
Just wait until Tua gets paid more. That will be the real laugher. At least Lawrence has upside and potential.

Tua just sucks
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:54 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Just wait until Tua gets paid more. That will be the real laugher. At least Lawrence has upside and potential.

Tua just sucks
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again. I simply do not understand why a team who isn't 1000% sure they have QBOTF wouldn't take a lot of swings at legit QB competition (probably not first round). The QB makes or breaks a team. And yet all these risky QBs walk into their second contract without any competition whatsoever.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:18 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again. I simply do not understand why a team who isn't 1000% sure they have QBOTF wouldn't take a lot of swings at legit QB competition (probably not first round). The QB makes or breaks a team. And yet all these risky QBs walk into their second contract without any competition whatsoever.
Extremely rare that a QB is the guy after rd 1. What did you want them to do? There were 6 QB’s drafted in the first 12 picks
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:17 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Extremely rare that a QB is the guy after rd 1. What did you want them to do? There were 6 QB’s drafted in the first 12 picks
Well over half of top 10 qbs bust too. But basically you're saying that the only way to get a franchise QB is to tank really badly, time that in a year with a great qb class, and probably be so bad that it takes 2-3 years out of that hole.

It's tough to find a great qb, period. So why not Take a lot of swings at it. So many teams settle for a geno Smith or Daniel Jones because they didn't want to tank. What's worse? Wasting a 3rd round pick on QB that doesn't work out or finding a starting LB behind a "good enough" QB? IMO, all those picks are wastes if you don't have the right QB, it's that important
[Reply]
sedated 06:23 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
It is dumb. Who cares if this is how the NFL operates? That doesn't make it a right or smart. It's a bit ridiculous guys like Lawrence gets money like this and yet a guy like Kelce (and I know there are others throughout the league) don't make nearly as much..

Dude is average at best - average QBs getting this much is such bullshit. Hopefully eventually this 'going rate,' for NFL QBs will change.
Chiefs had Tony G on some good teams and KC never won shit. Great player or not, it’s gotta be the right position. We’ve had some great Safeties, LBs, and RBs and all it got was 50 years of disappointment.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 07:03 PM 06-14-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
This is clueless: “If it doesn’t work out, oh well, that’s how it goes in the league.” No, that’s absolutely not how it goes. When you have someone with high highs who’s still young and has a high ceiling, you absolutely don’t just move on to some QB you draft in the back half of the first round. Wanna know the percentage success rate of guys drafted at that point or later? Spoiler: it’s not good.

Trevor Lawrence would be the third best QB in Chiefs history. Think that through. Kelce is a HOF TE and he experienced exactly one playoff win before Mahomes showed up.

Just because you think Kelce is worth X and Lawrence is worth Y doesn’t mean that’s how the market is structured. There are supply and demand components and high level QB play is harder to find than elite skill position performance. And that’s why lots of other teams would’ve jumped at matching that deal if given the opportunity.
Sure, as a GM I can't really argue too much with this. But unless you are Patrick Mahomes, your success rate winning SB is pretty crappy once your QB starts sucking up too high of a percentage of your cap also.

50 mil a year versus a rookie contract. That is a couple of high end, potentially difference maker sort of players.

No, it doesn't matter if your QB is meh, but can Lawrence carry a team after his rookie contract?
[Reply]
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Up