ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 66 of 85
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Handy-Man Corner
Iowanian 08:25 AM 09-24-2004
I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:18 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by BeaverEater:
All the existing switch does is interrupt the hot (black) wire on the way to the light. The timer is an actual electrical component so it requires a hot and common wire to operate.
So I need to take the plate off and pull it out to see how many wires I have back there?
[Reply]
mdstu 08:19 PM 01-02-2017
Translation:

Look at the back of the existing switch.

If there two black wires and two white wires.
Replace it with the new switch and wire it exactly the same as the old switch.

If there are only two black wires, it probably won't work.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:19 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
and we have the same textured walls, I'm looking to repaint before long but we can't seem to find colors we like, everything is a cream color now.
This green color was here in the main area but we painted a bathroom and 2 bedrooms before we moved into this house.

Painting I can do!
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:20 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
So I need to take the plate off and pull it out to see how many wires I have back there?
You can, but I doubt that there's a common wire lurking back there.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:23 PM 01-02-2017
You can, but I doubt that there's a common wire lurking back there.
Huh. And if I don't have that I can't do this?

My neighbor says he has his garage lights outside on a timer switch....We have the almost exact same house too.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:29 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Wanna come work on my pivot? It's only 480 volts :-)
Yeah but that's only if you grab two legs at the same time ,I'm not stepud.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:30 PM 01-02-2017
Huh. And if I don't have that I can't do this?

My neighbor says he has his garage lights outside on a timer switch....We have the almost exact same house too.
If it's not there you'd have to run one from the electrical panel to it, so you can, but it won't be simple. Is your neighbor is using the same switch in the same location?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:32 PM 01-02-2017
If it's not there you'd have to run one from the electrical panel to it, so you can, but it won't be simple. Is your neighbor is using the same switch in the same location?
I think so. Think it's exact same switch but his house came with it installed.

House is built in 2003 if that matters here. I took face plate off and there's definitely more than 2 wires going to each switch. I can see white and black wires. Tons of wires back there from what I can see without taking the switch out.
[Reply]
mdstu 08:34 PM 01-02-2017
You need a common(white) wire to make the switch work.
To power the electronics of the switch itself.
[Reply]
mdstu 08:35 PM 01-02-2017
I think so. Think it's exact same switch but his house came with it installed.

House is built in 2003 if that matters here. I took face plate off and there's definitely more than 2 wires going to each switch. I can see white and black wires. Tons of wires back there from what I can see without taking the switch out.
You should be fine then.
[Reply]
mdstu 08:38 PM 01-02-2017
Make sure you flip the breaker to this circuit before putting screwdriver to terminal.
Test with a meter. When in doubt kill the main to the whole house and make your wife hold a flashlight for you.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:41 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by mdstu:
Make sure you flip the breaker to this circuit before putting screwdriver to terminal.
Test with a meter. When in doubt kill the main to the whole house and make your wife hold a flashlight for you.
Yea, I might work on this some other day. I got a far as taking the plate off to look but it's night here and I don't want to go any farther.

I think I'll order the switch. Pretty sure it will work without taking the whole thing out right now.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:43 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by mdstu:
Don't flip the breaker. Have the wife use the screwdriver on the wires. Take a shot and hold the flashlight.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:56 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Don't flip the breaker. Have the wife use the screwdriver on the wires. Take a shot and hold the flashlight.
That's mean!

Switch ordered. Should arrive Wednesday. Thanks. This could be life changing.
[Reply]
ghak99 11:29 AM 01-03-2017
That's mean!

Switch ordered. Should arrive Wednesday. Thanks. This could be life changing.
FYI... Injury from shock often comes from the reaction, not the actual shock.

When you elbow your flashlight holder in the face because you poked the wrong wire. Expect to get hit with that flashlight. It won't hurt bad enough to make you forget about being shocked, but it damn sure won't feel good.
[Reply]
Page 66 of 85
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076 > Last »
Up