ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 66 of 136
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official Golf Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:08 PM 02-07-2015
The original Bushwood thread is overflowing like Craig Stadler's FUPA.

Use this thread to discuss tournaments, swing thoughts, equipment, and golf deals.

I thought we could also use the OP to create a WITB for ChiefsPlanet members. I'll list a poster's name and put their sticks in a spoiler tag, so you can see what everyone is carrying.
[Reply]
tk13 12:31 AM 07-18-2015
The officials are having a debate about whether the 11th hole is playable because guys can't mark the ball. Announcers debating whether they should stop play because the wind is just too much.

EDIT: And they're suspending play due to the wind. Players sent back to the clubhouse. Brutal. Some comical wind action on the greens though.
[Reply]
tk13 12:48 AM 07-18-2015
Oosthuizen gets the shaft. This ball ended up blowing 6 feet on the other side of the hole.

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:36 AM 07-18-2015
They cut the greens way too short and the balls are blowing all over as a result.

We played Turnberry in sustained winds of 40-45 mph with gusts of over 60, and it was fucking brutal, but because the greens were cut to a sensible length for a links course it was playable.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 08:53 AM 07-18-2015
Monday finishes suck balls. Would rather see them play 36 tomorrow.
[Reply]
tk13 11:13 AM 07-18-2015
After about 10 hours they're back out and playing again. Still windy though.
[Reply]
Miles 04:26 PM 07-18-2015
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I saw some Nickels at a local driving range a few months ago. Snagged out the 7-iron and hit some shots with it. Thought about buying them and sending them off to him. The sweet spot was quite a bit smaller than my Eye 2s, but I've always liked the ISIs even though they are a bit unusual looking.
I actually found them fairly traditional looking when addressing the ball but with an offset. I thought they were fairly forgiving at the time coming from 845s. My swing was a hell of a lot better back then but not sure I have done any better replacing those irons over the years.

Went from the ISIs to Titleist 704cbs which were mediocre to X-20 Tour to X-22 tour. I have the X-22s fitted to me so that is a barrier to change. The oddest part of fitting was I'm 6'1" and had always thought I needed upright clubs. Turned out with -3.25 deg lie.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 04:31 PM 07-18-2015
Is anyone watching the American Century Championship?
[Reply]
O.city 05:26 PM 07-18-2015
So, getting ready for the calcutta tonight, we tossed up a 64 in a 2 man best ball, with a bogey (fucking 3 putt)

Looked like we were tied for the lead in champ flight when we left. Should be a good day tomorrow
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:32 PM 07-18-2015
Best-selling is your friend. And wow, the 10th was the "worst ball" hole (all the way to the hole) and that was a hoot.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:37 PM 07-18-2015
Originally Posted by Miles:
I actually found them fairly traditional looking when addressing the ball but with an offset. I thought they were fairly forgiving at the time coming from 845s. My swing was a hell of a lot better back then but not sure I have done any better replacing those irons over the years.

Went from the ISIs to Titleist 704cbs which were mediocre to X-20 Tour to X-22 tour. I have the X-22s fitted to me so that is a barrier to change. The oddest part of fitting was I'm 6'1" and had always thought I needed upright clubs. Turned out with -3.25 deg lie.
They look like basically every other Ping iron when addressing the ball, but the scallop out of the cavity certainly takes time getting used to.

I used to have a Zing 2 lob wedge. That thing was a monstrosity. I don't think I ever hit that club well. I had an ISI S2 wedge for a while too, but never much cared for it, but back then I hung way too far back on my right at impact and just skyed everything.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 05:53 PM 07-18-2015
I watched today to see if Token Woods would get to the 18th bridge and wave farewell to the game.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:29 PM 07-18-2015
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I watched today to see if Token Woods would get to the 18th bridge and wave farewell to the game.
Can't agree with the tone of this post. Tiger is awesome and a great ambassador of the game. He's NOT the Golfer he was 15, years ago, but nobody ever is.

So I wish him the best, and I hope he finds a way out of this funk and kicks some ass.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:35 PM 07-18-2015
Tiger isn't a great ambassador for the game IMO, but I do think that he's the most important golfer in history for what he represented.

It's funny, because I always used to say that his swing would never hold up as he aged because it was too violent. Now that it has finally come, I still have a hard time believing it has actually happened.

All told, he really should have never changed the swing he had with John Anselmo. In his pursuit of greatness he tried to perfect that which cannot be and cost himself years of productivity as a result. And now he'll never achieve his goal.

It's a great example of irony.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:48 PM 07-18-2015
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Tiger isn't a great ambassador for the game IMO, but I do think that he's the most important golfer in history for what he represented.

It's funny, because I always used to say that his swing would never hold up as he aged because it was too violent. Now that it has finally come, I still have a hard time believing it has actually happened.

All told, he really should have never changed the swing he had with John Anselmo. In his pursuit of greatness he tried to perfect that which cannot be and cost himself years of productivity as a result. And now he'll never achieve his goal.

It's a great example of irony.
I think your comment about his then-swing not holding up forever, but no really-young and flexible person's swing will hold up.

THAT being said, I've always wondered what role, if true, any PEDs played into it. I don't recall there being any proof that it was true, but who knows...

I still think he was a great ambassador. He really helped draw a lot 'more' interest to the game. It's never hurt, but think added some octane to the fuel.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:14 PM 07-18-2015
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I think your comment about his then-swing not holding up forever, but no really-young and flexible person's swing will hold up.

THAT being said, I've always wondered what role, if true, any PEDs played into it. I don't recall there being any proof that it was true, but who knows...

I still think he was a great ambassador. He really helped draw a lot 'more' interest to the game. It's never hurt, but think added some octane to the fuel.
I don't really buy the PED accusations. He did a couple of things that really hurt his career long-term.

#1) He hurt his knee at the 1997 PGA. I remember watching it live and you could tell that he fucked himself up, but he played it off like it was nothing. That knee was never the same after that

#2 (which plays into #1) When he wanted extra distance out of his drives, he developed a move where he would snap his left knee to get his body to snap through the impact zone faster. Over time, that action degraded the structural integrity of his knee, which only led to more knee surgeries and injuries

#3) His swing as a teenager, which was good enough to win the US Am *3, and the Masters by 12 shots, had a much higher swing plane and utilized vertical leverage in addition to his tremendous body rotation. When he went to Harmon he flattened his swing (he really started this in '98). It resulted in his best golf, but it also wasn't a change that he really needed to make and it hurt him on the back end of his career.

Golfers with more upright swings, like Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson, age better than golfers with flatter swings because they don't put nearly as much stress on their back and they aren't solely dependent upon rotational flexibility for the depth of their arc.

So, while he made himself slightly better in the short term (he was always so talented he could have won with any swing), he cost himself years on the back end.

A good counterpoint is Phil Mickelson. His swing now is no different than it was 20 years ago (Harmon really didn't change anything in his swing). Consequently, his ball striking is pretty much as good as it always was.
[Reply]
Page 66 of 136
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116 > Last »
Up