ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I update my golf clubs??
TripleThreat 02:40 PM 07-12-2020
So I got into golf around a year ago. I would shoot around 130-140’s when I first started out.

Fast forward to today, I haven’t broken a 100 yet, but I tip toe between 100-110.

My clubs all together cost me around $300-$400 in a bundle package from amazon.

When I play with good golfer friends they have all the best drivers, putters and irons. They shoot around 80-90.

I’m curious how much improvement I will see in my game if I update my driver and maybe my 9, and a 3 wood... my putter will be last on my list since I’ve perfected a pretty good way of 2 putting every hole; and I feel reading the greens is far more important than having the best putter.

All in all I’d say I drive the ball around 220-250 with my current driver. (Bragging moment) I once hit a drive that went over 300 and landed on the green, people in front of us were staring at me to see if I would get the eagle lol.... so therefore I wonder, my driver is capable of hitting that distance, but that one shot will probably never happen again, it was a 1 in a million shot and I literally let it all loose into that swing. Any other time I’ve tried it, I lose complete control of the ball, so I stick to a balanced swing that gets me on the fairway in decent shape.

With that information should I upgrade a few clubs? Or should I wait till I can break 100 on a consistent basis and when I have the $$ get fitted for clubs instead?
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 10:10 AM 07-17-2020
Putting grip (not the grip itself) but the hand grip. The following is oriented to a right handed golfer.

Most people putt with their right hand lower on the putter. Nothing wrong with that. I use the cross handed grip or left hand low. The value is it a locked right hand and consistent end-over end putts where you can focus more on reading the green. It'll feel weird at first. I switched to it 6 years ago and my next league tourney finished with 5 one putts from anywhere on the green....had a bad day that day, but I got back in the money and I credited it to cross-handed putting.

[Reply]
George Liquor 10:12 AM 07-17-2020
I got into golf for a while. I bought a cheap set to learn with, after that I swore I needed to upgrade my gear.

Now I have a $1000 set of Taylormade RBZ clubs sitting in my gun room collecting dust. All my friends I played with moved away.
[Reply]
scho63 10:15 AM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I got into golf for a while. I bought a cheap set to learn with, after that I swore I needed to upgrade my gear.

Now I have a $1000 set of Taylormade RBZ clubs sitting in my gun room collecting dust. All my friends I played with moved away.
Why not sell them to TripleThreat? :-)
[Reply]
George Liquor 10:16 AM 07-17-2020
I was actually thinking about PM'ing him lmao

I could finish my AR without pissing my wife off that way.
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:19 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
100% this. If you are firing between 100-110, you need to grab 2-3 lessons and have them give you some ideas of what you are doing wrong, and how to correct it. Once you’ve done that, get to the range and practice 2-3 times a week. When you get your scores in the low to mid-90’s, then you can decide if you want new clubs. At that point, you can start to work on whether you like the shaft stiff or more flexible, and get clubs designed to your stance and your swing.

Good luck, Triple Threat!
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
lessons more than clubs
Originally Posted by eDave:
He wants new clubs guys. Let's be encouraging.
OK, let's get this out of the way, right away!

LESSONS SON! If you are shooting 130-140 starting out I applaud you for staying the course and not quitting! You got a lot of issues to shoot that high, even starting out.

To be around 110 now tells me you have corrected somethings, most likely in the putting.

Now about lessons, you have played enough to pick up somethings on your own so you should be able to PU the lessons PRO gives you. Know this, bad habits are are to break so much practice will be needed to stop making bad shots and start making better shots more consistently. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

I WOULD NOT BUT NEW CLUBS UNLESS you are convinced you will stay with playing! If you have any doubts, lessons will allow you to improve enough to make that decision.

NEW CLUBS WILL help you control your shots and reduce your score. IF YOU BUY NEW by all means go to a golf shop that can measure your length, swing plane as this will help you with more true, balanced swing.

Golf is about having a consistent swing to go along with the mental part of the game.

There are many golfers on here with sound advise in your quest but none of us can help you as much as a Licensed Pro can do for all the issues with your score.

THINK ABOUT THIS ..... only 55% of golfers shoot under 100. Only 5% shoot under 80.

LESSONS FIRST!
GOOD LUCK
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:31 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
THINK ABOUT THIS ..... only 55% of golfers shoot under 100.
So you're saying I'm an above average golfer? :-)
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:34 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
So you're saying I'm an above average golfer? :-)
So you have improved? :-) :-)

BTW, how ya been?
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:40 PM 07-18-2020
So you have improved? :-) :-)

BTW, how ya been?
Doing great. The Mrs. and I have both been working from home for the last 4+ months. Are you still on the mend?
[Reply]
BWillie 09:49 PM 07-18-2020
OK, let's get this out of the way, right away!

LESSONS SON! If you are shooting 130-140 starting out I applaud you for staying the course and not quitting! You got a lot of issues to shoot that high, even starting out.

To be around 110 now tells me you have corrected somethings, most likely in the putting.

Now about lessons, you have played enough to pick up somethings on your own so you should be able to PU the lessons PRO gives you. Know this, bad habits are are to break so much practice will be needed to stop making bad shots and start making better shots more consistently. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

I WOULD NOT BUT NEW CLUBS UNLESS you are convinced you will stay with playing! If you have any doubts, lessons will allow you to improve enough to make that decision.

NEW CLUBS WILL help you control your shots and reduce your score. IF YOU BUY NEW by all means go to a golf shop that can measure your length, swing plane as this will help you with more true, balanced swing.

Golf is about having a consistent swing to go along with the mental part of the game.

There are many golfers on here with sound advise in your quest but none of us can help you as much as a Licensed Pro can do for all the issues with your score.

THINK ABOUT THIS ..... only 55% of golfers shoot under 100. Only 5% shoot under 80.

LESSONS FIRST!
GOOD LUCK
True..but if ppl played by the rules it would be more like 2%.

So many duffers out there cheat, which is fine if you are not in competition but its a little annoying hearing these ppl claim they shot 75 at Ironhorse "from the tips" and then I play with them and wonder how on earth that was ever possible. Its because they don't play OB as OB (stroke and distance), they hit it into lateral and just take a drop without a penalty stroke, a lost ball IS out of bounds and you need to hit a provisional, they consider a gimme a 6 foot putt which they dont even make half of the time anyway, they fluff their lie from anywhere, they move their ball when its behind a tree etc.
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:59 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Doing great. The Mrs. and I have both been working from home for the last 4+ months. Are you still on the mend?
Yeah, had the last knee put in Feb., week after the SB. However rehab wasn't going well due to the massive scar tissue in the quad muscles. I had another procedure done last month, a knee manipulation. It's where they put you asleep and forcebly bend the knee, trying to tear the muscle tissue to get your range of motion back. Then you have to rehab all over again. But it failed, doc applied the pressure bending the knee but the scare tissue was too much. He had to stop for fear of shattering the bone where the rod connects and now I'm stuck with being handicapped the rest my life.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:04 AM 07-19-2020
bummer,

FWIW

I used to play with a guy missing a leg and he out drove me.

Yeah, had the last knee put in Feb., week after the SB. However rehab wasn't going well due to the massive scar tissue in the quad muscles. I had another procedure done last month, a knee manipulation. It's where they put you asleep and forcebly bend the knee, trying to tear the muscle tissue to get your range of motion back. Then you have to rehab all over again. But it failed, doc applied the pressure bending the knee but the scare tissue was too much. He had to stop for fear of shattering the bone where the rod connects and now I'm stuck with being handicapped the rest my life.

[Reply]
ROYC75 01:24 AM 07-19-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
bummer,

FWIW

I used to play with a guy missing a leg and he out drove me.

Yeah, I used to drive it consistently 280-310, depending on the conditions.

Now having 2 knees replaced with 1 only bending at 85*, needing to have 2 rotator cuff repaired, lost a week of memory ( almost my life ), I think this next week I'm going to start trying to swing a club.

Not being able to play the last 8 years it's going to take me some time getting back in any kind of shape to be able to just play again, I can forget about the crushing drives and focus on a much shorter game.

Good thing I'm in the Sr. Age group
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:23 AM 07-19-2020
None of us are shooting to be on the tour. Not even the senior tour. Many of us are going to get out played by good high school girls.

Dont worry much about scores. Have some fun. Enjoy the walk-or ride.

off topic. I work at the local city par 3. total walk is about 1.5 miles. I love it when 25 year olds come in and rent a cart-cost $13. How much did you pay for your gym membership this month?

We have 80 year olds that walk it 2 times a week.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:40 AM 07-19-2020
I played 18 holes Friday and shot 36 from the white tees on the front nine and then it got windy and with the heat index of 102, I shot 43 on the back nine. Only the second time this year I broke 80. My biggest problem is I only play one day a week. I usually start out slow with 1 or 2 mishits, and this round I didn't have that problem, first hole made my par. Second hole par 3, I parred that hole. Then #3 is a short par 4, only 299. I put my drive in a bunker about 40 yards short and left of the green. Took my PW and hit a beautiful bunker shot 4' from the pin and sunk the birdie putt. Then I knew this was going to be a good round. We have 12 country clubs here in The Villages, all with a lot of sand and water. I played Bonifay on Friday, houses line most fairways with out-of-bounds.

[Reply]
BWillie 10:26 AM 07-19-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
None of us are shooting to be on the tour. Not even the senior tour. Many of us are going to get out played by good high school girls.

Dont worry much about scores. Have some fun. Enjoy the walk-or ride.

off topic. I work at the local city par 3. total walk is about 1.5 miles. I love it when 25 year olds come in and rent a cart-cost $13. How much did you pay for your gym membership this month?

We have 80 year olds that walk it 2 times a week.
Thats because its walking. Not working out. And unless there is cart path only you can play quicker golf with a golf cart.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up