ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 160
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading
big nasty kcnut 10:37 PM 03-11-2006
I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.
[Reply]
Frosty 04:12 PM 03-13-2006
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan:
The Dragon in Lyonaisse - Gordon Dickson (SF/F)
I have most of the series (garage sale find) but got stuck about half-way through the second book (Dragon Knight).

Please tell me they get better.
[Reply]
Jenson71 10:41 PM 03-13-2006
Originally Posted by banyon:
Collapse- Jared Diamond
How does this compare to Guns, Germs, Steel? I liked the interesting twist on history he gave in the first one.
[Reply]
Miles 10:49 PM 03-13-2006
I just finished up Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson about a week ago and really enjoyd it.

About to start on either A Game of Thones by George RR Martin or Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis.
[Reply]
Mr. Laz 11:17 PM 03-13-2006
Originally Posted by TrickyNicky:
Oh yeah, just in case I forget. Let me recommend A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Best fantasy series I've ever read.
i love the kind of book ... how many in the series?
[Reply]
Miles 11:22 PM 03-13-2006
Originally Posted by Laz:
i love the kind of book ... how many in the series?
There are four in the series with A Game of Thrones being the first one. Im not really into the genre but its supposed to be a hell of a great page turner.

You can pick up A Game of Thrones at a bookstore for only $3.99 too.
[Reply]
banyon 11:36 PM 03-13-2006
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
How does this compare to Guns, Germs, Steel? I liked the interesting twist on history he gave in the first one.
I've onlt browsed G,G, & S (which he won the pulitzer for).

It's just more about the environmental choices that different civilizations made in history and its role in those respective societies' respective "collapses".

It's not as doom and gloom as I'm making it sound though. He's optimitstic that we are better informed than our predecessors to confront these choices.
[Reply]
TrickyNicky 01:38 PM 03-14-2006
Originally Posted by Miles:
There are four in the series with A Game of Thrones being the first one. Im not really into the genre but its supposed to be a hell of a great page turner.

You can pick up A Game of Thrones at a bookstore for only $3.99 too.
It definitely is a great page-turner. I'd put it right up there with the other fantasy series by a guy named R. R.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 03:24 PM 03-14-2006
Originally Posted by Taco John:
If you like reading the word "perhaps" over and over and over, then yeah, it's fantastic.
Did you read it?

Great historical book that is off the charts good.

Dave
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:30 PM 03-14-2006
It definitely is a great page-turner. I'd put it right up there with the other fantasy series by a guy named R. R.
errr.... JRR, perhaps??
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:31 PM 03-14-2006
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
I'm reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by Shirer

Damn good book. Takes a little while to get through it though, that's for sure.
[Reply]
jspchief 05:46 PM 03-14-2006
I'm currently reading The Winter King by Bernard Cromwell which is a spin of the Arthurian legend. Cromwell writes very well.
Well, I just started The Winter King last night, and so far it's not grabbing me. Granted, I only read for about thirty minutes, but I don't care for the first person narrative style. Hopefully it picks up.
[Reply]
Adept Havelock 06:01 PM 03-14-2006
Originally Posted by jspchief:
Well, I just started The Winter King last night, and so far it's not grabbing me. Granted, I only read for about thirty minutes, but I don't care for the first person narrative style. Hopefully it picks up.
If you don't care for first person, I withdraw my suggestion of Wolfe's New Sun books. Wolfe writes almost exclusively in the first person.

You might enjoy Harry Turtledove's "Darkness" cycle. It's basically WW2 reintepreted into a fantasy-style war in a different world. It's a fun, but kind of long romp.
[Reply]
jspchief 06:08 PM 03-14-2006
Originally Posted by Adept Havelock:
If you don't care for first person, I withdraw my suggestion of Wolfe's New Sun books. Wolfe writes almost exclusively in the first person.

You might enjoy Harry Turtledove's "Darkness" cycle. It's basically WW2 reintepreted into a fantasy-style war in a different world. It's a fun, but kind of long romp.
Actually, I'm not sure if I like the first person style or not. I can't remember the last book I read that was written in it, if ever (maybe Bio of a Space Tyrant by Piers Anthony?).

I'll have to see how I feel about it after I finish this book. 100 pages are hardly enough to form an opinion.

Either way, I appreciate the recommendations.
[Reply]
CosmicPal 06:08 PM 03-14-2006
I just started reading a new book. It's a memoir and it is literally fantastic. This is no joke, the title of the book is called: Another Bullshit Night in Suck City. It's by Nick Flynn.

It was named one of the Top 25 books of 2004 by the NY Public Library and won the Pen/Martha Albrand Award for memoir.

It's about Nick and his father- whom he never met until he was working as a caseworker in a homeless shelter in Boston. It's a great book about a son discovering the father he never had in the worst possible of places. Heartbreaking and honest.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:19 PM 03-14-2006
Originally Posted by Adept Havelock:
They're not easy reads either. Deep books.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 160
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Up