WEST:
#8 Blazers @ #1 Warriors
#7 Grizzlies @ #2 Spurs
#6 Thunder @ #3 Rockets
#5 Jazz @ #4 Clippers
[Reply]
bricks 08:46 AM 05-20-2017
Originally Posted by AssEaterChief:
Competitive balance has NEVER existed in modern professional basketball.

You have been able to accurately predict the teams who will be in the finals for decades...

I remember Gatorade had a cap contest in the mid 90's (predicting the finals matchup and how many games it would take to win) and everyone including me at time wanted a Bulls in 6 over Sonics or Bulls in 7 over Sonics cap...guess what happened?

The Lakers and Celtics dominated the 80's, and the 60's etc.
You're right.

Here is an interesting fact that further verifies that truth.

Ever since the league expanded its playoff format to 16 teams back in 1984, the 8th seed has beat the 1st seed only 3 times in that span. That's once every 11 years there is an upset.

That is just terrible. NBA sucks balls.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:03 AM 05-20-2017
The NBA has, by far, the best playoff system because it consistently determines the best team. There is less randomness involved than in any other sport.
[Reply]
mcaj22 10:14 AM 05-20-2017
I get that it's been like 8 or 9 teams since 1980 that have won but this 2017 conference finals is just embarrassing for the NBA, the fans and the sport in general. NBA should be ashamed of themselves these are suppose to be the final four teams after an 82 game season and this is the best competition they could come up with, I get that Golden State and the Cavs were going to win no matter what but at least make the games close. There where teams that still made Jordan earn it and took him to 6 or 7 games to get to the finals and same with Lebron over the years. But this Celtics team and Spurs team without Kwahi is just unwatchable dribble.

Last year for example, the Thunder took the Warriors to game 7 and the Raptors at least took 2 off the Cavs in the ECF. Compare that to 2017 and the competitive nature of the league basically went 10 steps backwards.

Sometimes the landscape of this sport just bums me out.
[Reply]
Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10:42 AM 05-20-2017
So how many years in a row do we get CLE-GSW? Spurs aren't going to get better the next few years and then there's the obvious gap in the East. 6 or 7?
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:45 AM 05-20-2017
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
I get that it's been like 8 or 9 teams since 1980 that have won but this 2017 conference finals is just embarrassing for the NBA, the fans and the sport in general. NBA should be ashamed of themselves these are suppose to be the final four teams after an 82 game season and this is the best competition they could come up with, I get that Golden State and the Cavs were going to win no matter what but at least make the games close. There where teams that still made Jordan earn it and took him to 6 or 7 games to get to the finals and same with Lebron over the years. But this Celtics team and Spurs team without Kwahi is just unwatchable dribble.

Last year for example, the Thunder took the Warriors to game 7 and the Raptors at least took 2 off the Cavs in the ECF. Compare that to 2017 and the competitive nature of the league basically went 10 steps backwards.

What is the NBA supposed to do about it? Kevin Durant should have gone to Washington. It would have made for a REAL competitor to Lebron's Cavs in the finals. He didn't. He went to Golden State. Is the NBA supposed to interfere with Durant's decision?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:52 AM 05-20-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
What is the NBA supposed to do about it? Kevin Durant should have gone to Washington. It would have made for a REAL competitor to Lebron's Cavs in the finals. He didn't. He went to Golden State. Is the NBA supposed to interfere with Durant's decision?
Change the NBA playoff seeding would do wonders for the league. It wouldn't fix all the problems but it'd help.. I'd also nix having 16-teams in the playoffs. That's half the league, too much. Create something like an NFL franchise tag so when superstars leave at least the other teams gets some sort of compensation. This would also help and encourage players to stay loyal to the teams that draft them.

Leonard ruled out for tonight's game. Another GS blowout coming. What a joke this NBA playoffs has been.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:26 AM 05-20-2017
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Change the NBA playoff seeding would do wonders for the league. It wouldn't fix all the problems but it'd help.. I'd also nix having 16-teams in the playoffs. That's half the league, too much. Create something like an NFL franchise tag so when superstars leave at least the other teams gets some sort of compensation. This would also help and encourage players to stay loyal to the teams that draft them.

Leonard ruled out for tonight's game. Another GS blowout coming. What a joke this NBA playoffs has been.
How would changing the seeding help the disparity in overall conference strength? That's what people are complaining about right now, isn't it? The West is too strong and the East is too weak?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:31 AM 05-20-2017
How would changing the seeding help the disparity in overall conference strength? That's what people are complaining about right now, isn't it? The West is too strong and the East is too weak?
Because then the Cavs would actually have some competition before they got to the NBA finals and they wouldn't be able to coast through the regular season.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:52 AM 05-20-2017

Sometimes that's just how it plays out. Boston is a 42 win team that played over their heads in the regular season. They likely lose to the Bulls in five or six if not for Rondo's injury, and it took everything they had to squeak by a Wizards team that had a great backcourt and almost nothing else.

San Antonio could have pushed the Warriors, but Kawhi was injured on a dirty/clumsy play by a dirty player.

Similarly, we were robbed of a good 2015 NBA Finals when Irving broke his kneecap and Olynyk decided to be a dirty shitbag and pull Love's shoulder out of his socket.

When the second tier teams are derailed by injuries, it makes the playoffs less fun, but don't overreact to one year.
[Reply]
AssEaterChief 12:14 PM 05-20-2017
I don't think it is a coincidence that the best players in the NBA generally stay out of Lebron's conference if they can.

Look at some of the players that have changed teams the last 4-6 years and none have gone to the east.

Chris Paul
Demarcus Cousins
Durant
Harden
Aldridge
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:45 PM 05-20-2017
At this point, barring some really unusual circumstance, lebron is a lockin for #2 GOAT. If you believe longevity, sure, he could eclipse Jordan. I just can't imagine a player in any sport with mjs competitiveness ever. But if you saw the past two nba finals, I don't know how anyone could possibly put him lower than 2.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 01:13 PM 05-20-2017
Originally Posted by AssEaterChief:
I don't think it is a coincidence that the best players in the NBA generally stay out of Lebron's conference if they can.

Look at some of the players that have changed teams the last 4-6 years and none have gone to the east.

Chris Paul
Demarcus Cousins
Durant
Harden
Aldridge
Its obviously not a coincidence LeBron didnt want to go out West both times he abandoned ship.
[Reply]
tk13 01:20 PM 05-20-2017
I looked it up, and was actually surprised to find that 2 teams have never met in the NBA Finals 3 straight years. This will be the first time.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 02:06 PM 05-20-2017
Originally Posted by tk13:
I looked it up, and was actually surprised to find that 2 teams have never met in the NBA Finals 3 straight years. This will be the first time.
Id set the over under on this one at 4 in a row.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:11 PM 05-20-2017
The Celtics are so bad, it makes me so mad the Wizards could not beat them because they are not good. One of the most fraud rosters and seed every in the history of the sport

Wait until next year when they add the #1 pick to the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 50 of 185
« First < 404647484950 5152535460100150 > Last »
Up