ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 70
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread
DaneMcCloud 08:16 PM 03-06-2016
There's quite a bit of info trickling out so its probably time to start a spoiler thread. I'll update with a trailer when it's available.

Trailer #1. This looks amazing!!! Darth Vader, The Emperor, Jyn (Rey's mother?), Forrest Whitaker, Donnie Yen and Alan Tudyk.

[Reply]
Miles 03:55 PM 01-01-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
And yes, I second the 2D recommendation. I've seen it in both, and the 3D does nothing for this movie, imo.
I was a bit excited that one of the best quality theaters in my city had it without 3D. Avatar is the only movie I have seen where 3D was a benefit.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 05:32 AM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:
The score was average.. but the out of control tie-fighter slamming in to that gun was really awesome. On par with any of the other movies.
I thought the score ended up pretty clear...I'd say 1-0 in favor of the Rebellion.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 08:20 AM 01-02-2017
And yes, I second the 2D recommendation. I've seen it in both, and the 3D does nothing for this movie, imo.
I've seen 4 movies in 3D and hated all but one....Avatar. (Saw Green Lantern, Toy Story 3 and Dr. Strange in 3D and it didn't add anything for me)

I hate 3D because it takes a little bit to adjust to it.....makes the viewing a bit irritating.
[Reply]
NewChief 09:59 AM 01-02-2017
Finally saw this while in St. Louis. We all enjoyed it much more than EP VII.

Man did AT-ATs get an upgrade in the time period separating R1 from Empire. X-Wings were taking them down with lasers in this movie. They had to resort to those harpoon things in Empire Strikes Back, though.
LOL
[Reply]
Kman34 10:08 AM 01-02-2017
Thanks guys ....going at 12:30 to see it in 2D... I'll let you know if it sucked...:-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:52 AM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Finally saw this while in St. Louis. We all enjoyed it much more than EP VII.

Man did AT-ATs get an upgrade in the time period separating R1 from Empire. X-Wings were taking them down with lasers in this movie. They had to resort to those harpoon things in Empire Strikes Back, though.
LOL
Technically, those were cargo transports.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:48 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Technically, those were cargo transports.
And also technically, they were armed with Ion Pulse Cannons, that's why the legs were weakened and collapsed under heavy barrage.

And also ALSO technically, the X-Wing packed way more punch than did the Snow Speeders did. Even with that said, they still hit the AT-ATs in their one vulnerable place - their necks (I think one got ripped in half by a proton torpedo, though).

You're welcome!
Signed,
A Fucking Nerd
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:14 PM 01-02-2017
And also technically, they were armed with Ion Pulse Cannons, that's why the legs were weakened and collapsed under heavy barrage.

And also ALSO technically, the X-Wing packed way more punch than did the Snow Speeders did. Even with that said, they still hit the AT-ATs in their one vulnerable place - their necks (I think one got ripped in half by a proton torpedo, though).

You're welcome!
Signed,
A Fucking Nerd
Thank you, nerd.

I was pretty sure it wasn't X-Wings that were kicking around on Hoth in Empire.

Though I realized something as I watched this movie (and I loved it, BTW) - the Rebel Alliance isn't exactly the rag-tag group of misfits that the original trilogy painted them as.

These guys have a fighter wing that rivals the Air Force. And it sure seems like they have some fire-superiority over the Empire with the X-Wing as well.

Rogue One gave us a bit of a different feel regarding our plucky upstarts - these guys are a pretty heavily armed military force in their own right.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:20 PM 01-02-2017
Upon further reflection - is this an F-15 vs. F-16 thing? The F-15 is simply a better airframe. It's more versatile, more powerful and nearly as agile. It's also a hell of a lot more expensive than the F-16.

So when you're the empire and can just keep churning out storm troopers, having a ton of fighters to pilot is an advantage. Meanwhile, if you're the rebels, you have far fewer pilots so its important that they A) Survive and B) have every possible advantage. So you get them the better sled and hope that it's enough.

Because it doesn't seem to me like the tie fighters can hang with the X-Wings at all.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 01:32 PM 01-02-2017

You're welcome!
Signed,
A Fucking Nerd
I always wondered what would happen if an X-Wing or a Y-Wing got ahold of an AT-AT.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:41 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Upon further reflection - is this an F-15 vs. F-16 thing? The F-15 is simply a better airframe. It's more versatile, more powerful and nearly as agile. It's also a hell of a lot more expensive than the F-16.

So when you're the empire and can just keep churning out storm troopers, having a ton of fighters to pilot is an advantage. Meanwhile, if you're the rebels, you have far fewer pilots so its important that they A) Survive and B) have every possible advantage. So you get them the better sled and hope that it's enough.

Because it doesn't seem to me like the tie fighters can hang with the X-Wings at all.
The old Expanded Universe aka "Legends" material states that Imperial doctrine is based on spamming massive amounts of cheap troops and fighters to overwhelm the opposition. TIE fighters don't have shields and hyperdrives for the cheap factor for both and for dominance in the second and there isn't a shortage of pilots signing up to replace losses.

The Rebels get whatever they can get -which were castoff Y-Wings and Z-95 Headhunters, and again the EU material said X-Wings were an elite project developed by the Incom Corp. which were stolen by its designers in defecting to the Alliance. Rebel doctrine was all about using the superior design and construction (shields; hyperdrives) of their fighters in sneak or hit and fade attacks to counteract the numbers advantage the Imperials had.

As for capital ships, the Rebels relied heavily on civilian vessels (CR-22 Blockade Runners and the GR-75 transports), Mon Calamari luxury liners turned war cruisers (Home One et al in RotJ) or Imperial defectors stealing smaller cap ships (Nebulon-B frigates) to bolster their fleet. I never got too deep in EU stuff beyond playing videogames like X-Wing Alliance where it's somewhat implied that the Rebels only have a handful of capships centered around Mon Calamari cruisers (Liberty and Independence, the former of which was the winged ship blown up the second Death Star) with a handful of fighter squadrons per cruiser. Even smaller groups were based around other converted civilian ships or stolen Nebulon-Bs with maybe one squadron of fighters attached.

Small fleets were tasked with commerce raiding and quick strikes against lightly defended targets while the Mon Cal cruisers were used for bigger operations but weren't exactly looking to go toe-to-toe with Imperial-class star destroyers. Seems to me that according to the EU, Palpatine's trap at Endor would have successfully wiped out the Rebellion as any sort of serious threat to the Empire's military.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:11 PM 01-02-2017

is to

as

is to

(I'm assuming the A-Wing and the Snow Speeder have roughly the same level firepower)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:15 PM 01-02-2017
Wait wait wait wait....

The squid people....Admiral !@#$ing Ackbar....are actually called Calamari?

I can't decide if that's George Lucas being uninspired or just plain mean.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:23 PM 01-02-2017
It was the 60's/70's when he wrote all of that. Lucas was likely high AF when he thought up "Calamari" for the name of an entire race of fish people. I bet you the mortgage he ate some soon after thinking it up, too.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:40 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wait wait wait wait....

The squid people....Admiral !@#$ing Ackbar....are actually called Calamari?

I can't decide if that's George Lucas being uninspired or just plain mean.
Wookiepedia:

Originally Posted by :
When Return of the Jedi was in pre-production, George Lucas took one look at a nameless alien design laid out by the production creature designers. He decided at that moment that it was going to be Admiral Ackbar. Creature designer Phil Tippett named the species after his lunch of calamari salad one day as a joke. Eight creature masks were constructed for Mon Calamari background characters, though only Ackbar's was fully detailed and articulated.

[Reply]
Page 50 of 70
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Up