ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 82
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
Gonzo 08:36 AM 04-15-2014
I think I've mentioned this before but I'm going to bitch anyway.
Almost all of the original Omaha steak houses are gone. The last caniglias is closing down this month. That'll only leave Johnny's Cafe, Anthony's and Brother Sebastian's.
Everything else has made way for shit holes like the Texas Road House, apple-fucking-bees or another goddamned outback.

I hate to say it but this place was better when the mob was around.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:39 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Gonzo:
Almost all of the original Omaha steak houses are gone. The last caniglias is closing down this month. That'll only leave Johnny's Cafe, Anthony's and Brother Sebastian's.
Everything else has made way for shit holes like the Texas Road House, apple-****ing-bees or another goddamned outback.

[Reply]
Lin Elliot 09:09 AM 04-15-2014
I don't know if this has been mentioned but way back in the day I remember a place in the basement area of Blue Ridge Mall that served hot ham and cheese or beef and cheese sandwiches. I believe it was called 'Don's World of Beef'. Loved that taste!
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 09:29 AM 04-15-2014
When I was a kid, my parents used to take us to this place called Po Folks , I believe it was in Independence, that I used to love. They had awesome fried chicken, although I was probably 5 or 6 years old so who knows if it was actually good.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:32 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Gonzo:
Everything else has made way for shit holes like the Texas Road House, apple-fucking-bees or another goddamned outback.

There's still a few of those around here, even though the ringleader is in federal prison.

Not really a "chain" but a cartel that ran little Greek-style steakhouses in small, south central Iowa towns.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:37 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
When I was a kid, my parents used to take us to this place called Po Folks , I believe it was in Independence, that I used to love. They had awesome fried chicken, although I was probably 5 or 6 years old so who knows if it was actually good.
Po Folks was an interesting case study in restaurant success and failure.

They started out very generous in their portions and very well prepared. They were so busy they had folding chairs set up, about 25-30 for overflow.

And slowly they got skimpier and lazier and the crowds dried up. Looks like they are still in Florida, but they're long gone from the midwest.
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:24 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by the kicker that shall go unnamed:
I don't know if this has been mentioned but way back in the day I remember a place in the basement area of Blue Ridge Mall that served hot ham and cheese or beef and cheese sandwiches. I believe it was called 'Don's World of Beef'. Loved that taste!
I remember that place. Never ate there though.

Another one I just remembered, was King's Food Host. They were mostly in Nebraska around Omaha and Lincoln, but there was one in Raytown too I believe.

The Cheese Frenchee was the best! We used to always go there when we were visiting my grandparents. And on your birthday, they would bring you a little cake with trick candles on it.

Ahhh, the memories...
[Reply]
Simplicity 10:33 AM 04-15-2014
I wished they had Timmy Ho's down here in Iowa (Tim Horton's) that place is amazing when I go up to Canada in the summer... Canada's version of Dunkin Donuts but x5555555 better.
[Reply]
Mojo Jojo 01:29 PM 04-15-2014
Who remembers Zyder Z's in KC? It was a giant windmill...often referred to as the windmill restaurant. It was located around 103rd and State Line 40/45 years ago before 435 went through there.
[Reply]
srvy 01:40 PM 04-15-2014
Forum Cafeteria.
The Rusty Scupper
Griffs
Dog & Suds
Smak's
Ray's Big Burger
The Lunch Counters in the Department stores downtown KC back in the day they were excellent.
Shakey's Pizza it was mentioned but gotta shout it out it was awsome.
[Reply]
srvy 01:44 PM 04-15-2014
Gaetano's at 5th and Oak St downtown KC yum.
[Reply]
srvy 01:45 PM 04-15-2014
Jenny's at South end ASB bridge

Sutera's by the American Royal and Kemper Arena.
[Reply]
Mojo Jojo 01:54 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by srvy:
Forum Cafeteria.
The Rusty Scupper
Griffs
Dog & Suds
Smak's
Ray's Big Burger
The Lunch Counters in the Department stores downtown KC back in the day they were excellent.
Shakey's Pizza it was mentioned but gotta shout it out it was awsome.
They still have Shakey's Pizza in Tokyo...when I saw that I had to get one.
[Reply]
Mojo Jojo 01:56 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by srvy:
Jenny's at South end ASB bridge

Sutera's by the American Royal and Kemper Arena.
Did a lot of eating/drinking at Sutera's during Big 8/12 Basketball Tourney's over the years. They are now located in Westwood, KS.
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:16 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by the kicker that shall go unnamed:
Yes, there was also a Don's World of Beef in downtown KC.

Three of my favorites that are gone now:

1) Italian Gardens Downtown. Old school italian food. Pictures of Sinatra on the wall.

2) Broasted Chicken, 66th and Blue Ridge in Raytown. Served out of a shack, excellent chicken and broasted potatoes.

3) Stephenson's Apple Farm: Used to be at US 40 and Lee's Summit Rd. Gone. Now it's a Quik Trip.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 82
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Up