ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: To which generation do you belong? (results anonymous)
Silent Generation (1928-45) 1 0.50%
Baby Boomers (1946-64) 51 25.37%
Generation X (1965-80) 88 43.78%
Millennials/Generation Y (1981-96) 59 29.35%
Zoomers/Generation Z (1997-2012) 2 1.00%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Poll to sample CP members by generation
GeorgeZimZam 08:47 PM 05-15-2024
Please respond accordingly:

[Reply]
dmahurin 03:50 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm not sure I identify with the term Elder Millennial, but I just barely fit into the common definition of Millenial. I feel like Oregon Trail Generation fits me most accurately.
Same.
[Reply]
Hydrae 03:51 PM 05-16-2024
'60 here. I never liked being lumped in with the Boomers. Hell, my dad was all of 5 when the war ended.

As to my computer experience, I got my first taste in high school. It was writing programs in Basic using the teletype to the computer at the district offices. I still have a couple rolls of the punch tape with my programs.

Early 80's the first PCs started coming out and I wished I could afford one. I settled for a Radio Shack Color Computer hooked up to a tv. Fun times! :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:56 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Our first color TV was a combo stereo record player/19" TV in a gigantic wood cabinet that was damn near as long as my car and nearly as heavy. By the time that came along we lived in town and had cable, so a few more channels and no more antenna madness.

And we had one of those phones with the ridiculously long twisty cord. And of course it was a rotary phone. God those sucked.
My parents bought one of those massive console TVs that had the TV in the middle and a phonograph on the left and a radio on the right, with huge built-in speakers. I think they just enjoyed spending money, because they never listened to the radio and, I am not kidding about this, they owned one record album. One.

We moved every year at least once and I was always the 10-year-old who had to lift half of that thing onto the moving truck.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:00 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My parents bought one of those massive console TVs that had the TV in the middle and a phonograph on the left and a radio on the right, with huge built-in speakers. I think they just enjoyed spending money, because they never listened to the radio and, I am not kiddjng about this, they owned one record album. One.

We moved every year at least once and I was always the 10-year-old who had to lift half of that thing onto the moving truck.
hell yes, it was a 'console TV,' thx for posting. That was going to drive me crazy all day, lol. Rep.
[Reply]
ChiTown 04:00 PM 05-16-2024
Boomer by definition (Dad was a WWII Vet), but Gen X by age (1967). All my siblings are Boomers
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:36 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My parents bought one of those massive console TVs that had the TV in the middle and a phonograph on the left and a radio on the right, with huge built-in speakers. I think they just enjoyed spending money, because they never listened to the radio and, I am not kiddjng about this, they owned one record album. One.

My mom and dad bought a Zenith with a built-in telephone in 1982. It stopped working in 90 (tube went bad), Dad fixed it for about six months more of life, and then the tube died for good in 1991.

When we finally got them moved out of that house in May of last year, that piece of shit was still sitting in the same spot (in their very small 2-bedroom home).

My mom refused to get rid of it because “it was a nice piece of furniture and I paid a lot for it!” Despite it not working for 31 years at that point.

If Dad hadn’t died, she would have insisted on dragging that worthless hunk of trash to the new house, too.
[Reply]
Woogieman 04:53 PM 05-16-2024
Gen X, and proud owner of a Verti-Bird, Lite Brite, Mattel Electric football (hand-held), Kenner SSp race cars, Mattel flying Aces aircraft carrier, table hockey, and many electric football and baseball games
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:54 PM 05-16-2024
I remember having cable as a kid and my uncle worked for the cable company. He installed some type of filter on our line that gave us all the free premium channels including paper view.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 04:55 PM 05-16-2024
I had one of those Console TV"s....it sat in my basement until sold it to a guy who took out the TV and made it into a pretty cool stereo and record cabinet.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 04:57 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I remember having cable as a kid and my uncle worked for the cable company. He installed some type of filter on our line that gave us all the free premium channels including paper view.
Paper view was Cinemax, yeah?
[Reply]
J Diddy 05:08 PM 05-16-2024
Please don’t sample my poll.
[Reply]
O.city 05:20 PM 05-16-2024
I’m a millennial that sadly….acts like a boomer
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:49 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by Mile High Mania:
Paper view was Cinemax, yeah?
had my fair share of skinemax watchings late at night, my house was really small though
[Reply]
Bl00dyBizkitz 06:45 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Eh - chatboards are about our age range.

The old folk use the Facebooks, younger folks use Tik Tok.

Chatboards are a dying breed kept afloat by folks about 30-45 yrs old...
Grew up with chatboards. They are a dying breed, but I feel they're the last place you'll find truly unfiltered and (sometimes) thoughtful discussion on the internet. And this is coming from a Millennial.

Basically what I'm saying is CP is the final bastion of human intelligence and we must protect it at all costs.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:52 PM 05-16-2024
Originally Posted by Holladay:
Agreed. The poll should be Pre-Social Media and Post. That would be definitive.
agreed. With a disclaimer. DOS(an earliest non-mainframe language) was invented right after WWII. The numbering system for the internet around the same time. Although Alan Turing cracked the Germans enigma code and saved 14 million lives using the first card system. His thanks for all that…… since he was gay he had to be chemically casturated. True story.

I was in I.T. early. Very few were really using a home computer due to the cost. And the internet and surfing was not a part of our culture until broadband became more widely available.

Example cloud computing. AWS wasn’t even available til 2006. Wasn’t widely adopted until 2009. Microsoft’s cloud, Azure, came out in 2012 but it was 2015/2016 when it started to get widely used by business.

I see posts that say Window's 95 was the turning point. It was a lot cheaper than pc’s in that era and it started the home computing revolution but widely used by Americans didn’t start until home units went below $1000.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up