ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 10
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs offensive struggles
staylor26 10:37 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
This place has become Homer Planet. Not too long ago, people were driven off of this forum for such attitudes.

If people can't be critical about the team they root for, then why bother being a fan if it is just a love-in? - one will ultimately be let down.

I am pleased that the defense has stepped up and won some games this season. They are slowly but surely gaining confidence. The 4th quarter offensive play-calling yesterday was on point in finishing out a game. Special teams had a strong showing and team DISCIPLINE was phenomenal.

However, the Chiefs need to persist at shoring up their weaknesses, and the franchise QB is not immune from criticism here. WTF was that cross-body pass to the middle of the field that should have been picked? His footwork is a mess, and he has the yips at times, throwing too early when he indeed has pocket protection. Yes, the interior O-line is sub-par, and there is not enough movement in the run game to find an effective balance, but from the outside looking in, it is as if there is not total buy-in to the offensive game plan by the players. Teams are taking away the deep stuff, and if Hill or Kelce get extra attention, the other receivers and backs are struggling to make plays.

I think it was rabblerouser who pointed out the formation and run calls that the Chiefs used with Thompson in the game - when Sherman and Bell are on the field, there are generally positive gains made in the run game and no "negative' plays. the RPO game is ok in doses, but teams are on to that league wide. It was good to see the change up in this regard, and it will be necessary for this team to overcome some of its flaws.....
Oh shut the fuck up already with this homer shit it’s the same thing you were just doing when people simply suggested giving Darwin a shot and expressed optimism about the young RB.

Looks like the “homers” were right that he deserved and opportunity, and I don’t see how suggesting that field/weather conditions have had a negative impact on the Chiefs passing game the last couple games makes you a “homer”. It’s an obvious observation.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:48 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Oh shut the **** up already with this homer shit it’s the same thing you were just doing when people simply suggested giving Darwin a shot and expressed optimism about the young RB.

Looks like the “homers” were right that he deserved and opportunity, and I don’t see how suggesting that field/weather conditions have had a negative impact on the Chiefs passing game the last couple games makes you a “homer”. It’s an obvious observation.
Listen McCloud,

Don’t be so myopic in thinking that I’m focusing on people griping about the weather as the excuse for an inconsistent performance by the offense. I’m talking more about how this place gets euphoric after a win and how we’re going to stomp a mud hole in the Patriots arses, run the table, and win the Super Bowl. I really hope all of that happens, but I’m not setting myself up for that huge letdown if it inevitably happens by running my mouth and repping outlandish shit on a message board.

That game next week at Foxboro will be closely contested I hope, and the Chiefs will have their hands full with an elite defense in the Patriots backyard. The Pats usually play well coming off a loss which is rare.

Do you think the fact that Thompson running against a team that had waved the white flag at half time might’ve had something to do with his success yesterday? I’m happy for the guy and was pleased with the playcalling on that run heavy drive to close out the game -but even Stevie Wonder can see that the Raiders just wanted to fucking go home and had tapped out at half. If Thompson can carry the ball 22 times and get near one hundred yards, then great - until then, let’s not crown him as the next Jamaal Charles or anything crazy like that…

That Patriots D is for real, and Andy and Mahomes best be ready for a fight.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:31 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
This place has become Homer Planet. Not too long ago, people were driven off of this forum for such attitudes.

If people can't be critical about the team they root for, then why bother being a fan if it is just a love-in? - one will ultimately be let down.

I am pleased that the defense has stepped up and won some games this season. They are slowly but surely gaining confidence. The 4th quarter offensive play-calling yesterday was on point in finishing out a game. Special teams had a strong showing and team DISCIPLINE was phenomenal.

However, the Chiefs need to persist at shoring up their weaknesses, and the franchise QB is not immune from criticism here. WTF was that cross-body pass to the middle of the field that should have been picked? His footwork is a mess, and he has the yips at times, throwing too early when he indeed has pocket protection. Yes, the interior O-line is sub-par, and there is not enough movement in the run game to find an effective balance, but from the outside looking in, it is as if there is not total buy-in to the offensive game plan by the players. Teams are taking away the deep stuff, and if Hill or Kelce get extra attention, the other receivers and backs are struggling to make plays.

I think it was rabblerouser who pointed out the formation and run calls that the Chiefs used with Thompson in the game - when Sherman and Bell are on the field, there are generally positive gains made in the run game and no "negative' plays. the RPO game is ok in doses, but teams are on to that league wide. It was good to see the change up in this regard, and it will be necessary for this team to overcome some of its flaws.....
Homer Planet? People (including me) are ripping this team apart after a complete beat-down.
[Reply]
O.city 11:09 AM 12-02-2019
They also had quite a few drives yesterday that were extended because of Raider penalties.
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 11:20 AM 12-02-2019
I was really encouraged by the "Darwin Drive" in the 4th quarter. The Raiders knew we were running and couldn't stop it. That will be HUGE later.

Also, last year's defense required an historic offense. This year's will require a good one, which we have. If the key players stay healthy, I think we'll be fine.
[Reply]
O.city 11:36 AM 12-02-2019
I will say they fucked up a bit with Reiter. I wasn't ever really comfortable with him as the starter.

Theres only so much you can do, at some point, you've gotta develop and coach up some dudes.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 11:40 AM 12-02-2019
I imagine that the Chiefs were relatively vanilla on play calling on the offensive side of the ball. Don't want to give the Pats too much on tape as I'm sure they have some stuff that they've been saving for the Pats.

At least that is my hope as to why the offense has been so meh last two games. Also, it would help if our running game can do flipping anything
[Reply]
O.city 11:42 AM 12-02-2019
There are certain games where it's pretty obvious early that as long as you don't royally fuck up and throw a pick 6 or something, you're gonna win.

That was pretty obvious yesterday. Once they were up 14-0, all they had to do was stack the box and not make egregious mistakes on offense and they'd win.

Kinda what they need to do in NE.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:42 AM 12-02-2019
You think an orthopedic doc told him that if he re-injures it, it could be season or worse. Would you tip toe for while. Mahomes wants to win, but
he's not stupid.

Originally Posted by O.city:
Last 2 weeks have been pretty shitty on offense. Sure they scored yesterday, but that's against the shitbird Raiders and the Chiefs looked shitty doing it.

Mahomes doesn't look right to my eye. Anyone else notice he seemed to be laboring to even get back to hand the ball off at times? Is he still hurt?

He looks skiddish in the pocket (with the interior OL I guess I get it) but the Chiefs can't win in the playoffs without him being his normal self.

What's everyone's thoughts on whats going on? Am I just seeing shit?

[Reply]
The Franchise 11:48 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
You think an orthopedic doc told him that if he re-injures it, it could be season or worse. Would you tip toe for while. Mahomes wants to win, but
he's not stupid.
You mean the same guy that sprinted for the endzone on his run and looked just fine? Yeah I’m sure he’s holding back.
[Reply]
O.city 11:43 AM 12-02-2019
Thompson might have something. I don't know and wont really get my hopes up on it, but he looked fresh yesterday.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:51 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Thompson might have something. I don't know and wont really get my hopes up on it, but he looked fresh yesterday.
It's really strange seeing our RBs running tentatively as often as they do.

Damien, when he was 'right' for a few weeks there, was running HARD even when there weren't a lot of holes to hit. Thompson looked to be running hard. It flashes on the screen (field) when the RBs actually come to play.

But all too often they seem to have accepted that they're largely an afterthought and they seem to play like it. Maybe that's just the way Shady runs so I don't give him much slack (Bell ran like that as well; very deliberate). But guys like Damien, Darrel and Thompson need to getting downhill, IMO. And all too often you can tell that they aren't really focused on doing that.

If Thompson will do so consistently, maybe we'll find something. But I think the bottom line is that the 11 personnel simply won't work in the run game when our IOL sucks this badly. You can't ask a RB to do much work without a lead blocker when the interior line is collapsing. That eliminated cutback lanes and obviously kills the possibility of any holes in the middle. You can't even really bounce outside on those because the damn DL is in your lap before you can change directions.

Without effective IOL play, they need a FB for an effective inside run game. And the FB on the field will largely telegraph our playcalling. It's just a rough situation the Chiefs find themselves in w/r/t to running the football.
[Reply]
O.city 11:53 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It's really strange seeing our RBs running tentatively as often as they do.

Damien, when he was 'right' for a few weeks there, was running HARD even when there weren't a lot of holes to hit. Thompson looked to be running hard. It flashes on the screen (field) when the RBs actually come to play.

But all too often they seem to have accepted that they're largely an afterthought and they seem to play like it. Maybe that's just the way Shady runs so I don't give him much slack (Bell ran like that as well; very deliberate). But guys like Damien, Darrel and Thompson need to getting downhill, IMO. And all too often you can tell that they aren't really focused on doing that.

If Thompson will do so consistently, maybe we'll find something. But I think the bottom line is that the 11 personnel simply won't work in the run game when our IOL sucks this badly. You can't ask a RB to do much work without a lead blocker when the interior line is collapsing. That eliminated cutback lanes and obviously kills the possibility of any holes in the middle. You can't even really bounce outside on those because the damn DL is in your lap before you can change directions.

Without effective IOL play, they need a FB for an effective inside run game. And the FB on the field will largely telegraph our playcalling. It's just a rough situation the Chiefs find themselves in w/r/t to running the football.
With some of the weapons we have, we should be able to still throw it out of 11 with a fullback. Max protect and let Hill and Sammy (ugh) run routes.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:47 AM 12-02-2019
It is a combination of factors... weather conditions specific to yesterday's game, offensive line struggles, opposing defenses focusing on taking away the deep passing game, and dropped passes.

I think Andy should utilize with greater frequency the short/intermediate passing game to the WR's. It seems like other than a few short passing plays/slants to Tyreek yesterday (which were pretty much all successful), that hasn't been a consistent part of the Chiefs offense recently.
[Reply]
O.city 11:49 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
It is a combination of factors... weather conditions specific to yesterday's game, offensive line struggles, opposing defenses focusing on taking away the deep passing game, and dropped passes.

I think Andy should utilize with greater frequency the short/intermediate passing game to the WR's. It seems like other than a few short passing plays/slants to Tyreek yesterday (which were pretty much all successful), that hasn't been a consistent part of the Chiefs offense recently.
For sure. Get Sammy the ball in those intermediate areas as well also.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 10
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up