ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 82
« First < 394546474849 5051525359 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:11 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by Douche Baggins:
Looks like dog shit, son.

Get some TACO ****ING BUENO

heh....ground beef tacos! :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:23 PM 04-14-2014
When I first moved to Denver, there was a local burger chain here called "Round The Corner" if I remember right. It was a sit-down diner-style restaurant, and their burgers were pretty good.

But the best thing about the place was the service model. They didn't have servers in the traditional sense. They had phones at the table, and when you were ready to order you picked up the phone and someone in the back took your order. Then a "deliverer" brought the food. Want a soda refill? Call them up. Ready for dessert? Call them up. It was very efficient, but I guess it wasn't efficient enough since they went out of business.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 08:55 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
I remember Rax but I think that was just a Mid-Atlantic thing.
No, there were Rax here in Kansas City.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:06 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
When I first moved to Denver, there was a local burger chain here called "Round The Corner" if I remember right. It was a sit-down diner-style restaurant, and their burgers were pretty good.

But the best thing about the place was the service model. They didn't have servers in the traditional sense. They had phones at the table, and when you were ready to order you picked up the phone and someone in the back took your order. Then a "deliverer" brought the food. Want a soda refill? Call them up. Ready for dessert? Call them up. It was very efficient, but I guess it wasn't efficient enough since they went out of business.
Ever been to an automat? Basically a restaurant sized vending machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:11 PM 04-14-2014
I'm not going to read through this whole thread but I used to love me some Rax and Frisch's when I was a kid. Mmmmmmmmm.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:22 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I'm not going to read through this whole thread but I used to love me some Rax and Frisch's when I was a kid. Mmmmmmmmm.
Ironically, we ate at Rax all the time, but I don't know if we ever had their roast beef.

Lunch buffet on Metcalf baby.
[Reply]
Mojo Jojo 09:53 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

There was a place like that down in Fairway along what is now Shawnee Mission Parkway at about Belinder when I was young...40+ years ago.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:30 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Ever been to an automat? Basically a restaurant sized vending machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat
we had a concept like that here - not sure it's name - they didn't make it. It was off of Clairmont Rd.
[Reply]
stonedstooge 07:03 AM 04-15-2014
I grew up about 100 miles north of Kansas City. First fast food restaurant I remember was what we called the Cuckoo House. It was shaped like a cuckoo clock with a big cuckoo that came out on the hour. On weekends they would knock a penny off on hamburgers on the hour. I think they stayed open till midnight or so and burgers were normally 15 cents. By midnight they were down to a dime. The Old Man would load us up around 11 and go buy a sack full of hamburgers. This was back in the late 60's.

We had a Lil Duffer Restaurant that I worked at through high school. The Big Duffer was similar to the Big Mac and a Little Duffer was a regular hamburger. I think there is still a couple of them left in the US.

We also had one of the first Sonics in MO that opened in the mid 70's. Artic Circle and Dogs' and Suds along with an A&W were all around until the early 80's when a McDonalds came in and shut down all those restaurants
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 07:12 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by stonedstooge:
I grew up about 100 miles north of Kansas City. First fast food restaurant I remember was what we called the Cuckoo House. It was shaped like a cuckoo clock with a big cuckoo that came out on the hour. On weekends they would knock a penny off on hamburgers on the hour. I think they stayed open till midnight or so and burgers were normally 15 cents. By midnight they were down to a dime. The Old Man would load us up around 11 and go buy a sack full of hamburgers. This was back in the late 60's.

We had a Lil Duffer Restaurant that I worked at through high school. The Big Duffer was similar to the Big Mac and a Little Duffer was a regular hamburger. I think there is still a couple of them left in the US.

We also had one of the first Sonics in MO that opened in the mid 70's. Artic Circle and Dogs' and Suds along with an A&W were all around until the early 80's when a McDonalds came in and shut down all those restaurants
There's still one Ku-Ku Burger left. It's in Miami, OK which is about 30 minutes west of Joplin. The burgers are no longer 15 cents, though.

http://static.newsok.biz/sites/nie/w...66_lesson3.pdf
[Reply]
Frosty 07:29 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:
No, there were Rax here in Kansas City.
Yeah, we had them in the PNW, too. I liked their salad bar.

I didn't realize that there are still a few of them around.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:31 AM 04-15-2014
surprisingly Zarda BBQ has/had an excellent salad bar.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:48 AM 04-15-2014
Which provided the best clean break for young red?
[Reply]
Frosty 07:51 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
surprisingly Zarda BBQ has/had an excellent salad bar.
The only salad bar I hit with any regularity is the one at Sizzler when we visit the in-laws in Salem.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:52 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by PGM:
Which provided the best clean break for young red?
Perkins Denver Omelet bud
[Reply]
Page 49 of 82
« First < 394546474849 5051525359 > Last »
Up