ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 56
« First < 394546474849 50515253 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Breeland Speaks Thread*****
Dante84 06:08 PM 04-27-2018

Remember this guy? �� He’s headed to the Kansas City Chiefs. pic.twitter.com/H9Pqq8jPJS

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) April 28, 2018

Spoiler!

[Reply]
htismaqe 06:59 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I recently re-watched several games from the 2018 season and Speaks flashed fairly often but couldn't finish a ton of plays due to his lack of mobility and speed.

His instincts are there and his tackling is fine but he really needed a year to re-shape his body.

I'm not making any predictions for him but I won't be surprised if his play and contributions are greatly improved from the 2018 season due to his apparent weight loss, which should result in increased speed, endurance and agility.
It’s because he was playing OLB. The guy is a DE/DT tweener. Watching his college footage it’s pretty obvious that Sutton was clueless about how to use him. And then he got hurt.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:00 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
It doesn't speak (pun police) very highly of him if his measurables are somewhere in the neighborhood of Chris Jones and Aaron Donald but he could barely even sniff the field.
He’ll sniff the field now that he’s healthy. 2018 was a wasted year for a lot of guys including Speaks.
[Reply]
kcclone 07:01 PM 08-12-2020
Speaks was not bad his rookie year. Showed some flashes at least, considering he was forced to play out of position for the worst DC in the NFL.

I think Spags and Daly will get the most out of him, especially now that it looks like he’s improved his body.

Doubt he’ll ever be anything special but I can see him doing similar to what Kpass did last year, which is quality depth.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:16 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It’s because he was playing OLB. The guy is a DE/DT tweener. Watching his college footage it’s pretty obvious that Sutton was clueless about how to use him. And then he got hurt.
While I agree, he was not in NFL game shape his rookie season and it showed.

Judging by his weight alone, it appears he's become very serious about his NFL career and I'm excited to see how his conditioning and weight loss translates this season.
[Reply]
RustShack 07:32 PM 08-12-2020
I’m excited for Speaks this year. And the potential of Taco as well, not to mention K-Pass and obviously Clark. We have a lot of talent/potential along the DL.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:46 AM 08-13-2020
I still think Taco wins the starting job, but maybe speaks can make a push down the stretch. It's going to be a busy rotation opposite Clark. Okafor, Kpass, Speaks, and Taco. One previous starter, one high draft pick whos flashed, Then KPass and speaks who are both high draft picks, one semi proven one a complete question mark. If Spags and crew do what they did last year and play guys to their potential this could be a salty rotation.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:49 AM 08-13-2020
Is there a Kpass highlight or break down from last year? I know he wasnt a pro bowl caliber guy but he made strides. And seemed fierce when he moved inside a few times.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:39 AM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Is there a Kpass highlight or break down from last year? I know he wasnt a pro bowl caliber guy but he made strides. And seemed fierce when he moved inside a few times.
Here he is mic'd up...best I could find:

[Reply]
Dunerdr 07:46 AM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Here he is mic'd up...best I could find:

Appreciated i didnt have any luck either. Maybe one of the basement dweller film review writers will tear into his film.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:34 AM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I've hated on Speaks and the Speaks pick quite a bit, but I'll absolutely eat crow if he shows anything this year. And yes, screw Bob Sutton for how he was used. But, I will still never understand the disconnect of taking a player like Speaks when we ran a 3-4 and he had no clear cut position. Unless he was somehow capable of playing 3-4 DE? I doubt it, but something was clearly off.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:56 AM 08-13-2020
Pretty clear somebody got into his ass about how he showed up last off-season. Don't think he's getting much interior DL time since we already have at least 5 guys in that mix, but he could get some serious playing time at Strong Side DE provided Kpassagnon doesn't end up there.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:12 AM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I recently re-watched several games from the 2018 season and Speaks flashed fairly often but couldn't finish a ton of plays due to his lack of mobility and speed.

Which is why i've never left the Speaks bandwagon. For a 1st year DL he was fairly stout against the run and showed flashes as a pass rusher.

This guy seemed to be the epitome of "give him time to develop".

Hell, i thought he'd have a solid season LAST season till he got hurt.
[Reply]
patteeu 01:02 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I've hated on Speaks and the Speaks pick quite a bit, but I'll absolutely eat crow if he shows anything this year. And yes, screw Bob Sutton for how he was used. But, I will still never understand the disconnect of taking a player like Speaks when we ran a 3-4 and he had no clear cut position. Unless he was somehow capable of playing 3-4 DE? I doubt it, but something was clearly off.
Maybe he was taken in anticipation for the change to 4-3 the following offseason. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:21 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Maybe he was taken in anticipation for the change to 4-3 the following offseason. :-)
Not pretending I'm all that familiar with exactly when Speaks was drafted, and how much Sutton was involved, but Uncle Bob was a 3-4 guy. He was never going to switch over to any kind of 4-3 scheme, meaning someone had to be absolutely certain that Sutton was going to be sacked before Speaks was drafted.

Again, I'm not completely familiar with the circumstances, but I seriously doubt management knew they were firing Sutton the day they drafted Speaks.

But Maybe someone who knows the details better than me can explain what happened.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 02:04 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Not pretending I'm all that familiar with exactly when Speaks was drafted, and how much Sutton was involved, but Uncle Bob was a 3-4 guy. He was never going to switch over to any kind of 4-3 scheme, meaning someone had to be absolutely certain that Sutton was going to be sacked before Speaks was drafted.

Again, I'm not completely familiar with the circumstances, but I seriously doubt management knew they were firing Sutton the day they drafted Speaks.

But Maybe someone who knows the details better than me can explain what happened.
Andy Reid was quoted saying that he thought the best defense to deal with today's O's is a 4-3. And that was before the '18 season even started.

So while we don't have direct, definitive evidence that the Chiefs knew Bob wasn't long for this team, we can put 2+2 together. Veach is a "Plan ahead" guy and Reid wanted a 4-3.

Reid then went and hired a 4-3 guy.
[Reply]
Page 49 of 56
« First < 394546474849 50515253 > Last »
Up