ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4712 of 4914
« First < 3712421246124662470247084709471047114712 4713471447154716472247624812 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Broncos news megathread
ROYC75 04:26 PM 08-12-2014
Discussion: All things Broncos.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 02:55 PM 02-12-2024
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Yea Dan Reeves was horrible... :-)
Dan’s offensive philosophy was not very prolific. Good coach, yes. He should have let Shanahan do his thing when he was the OC. Broncos did not use John properly or surround him with legit talent until Phillips took over and ultimately Shanahan.

Just look at the career rankings when Elway retired. The change in offense since the late 90s has been very favorable for QBs.

I don't say any of this to try and take away from Mahomes, dude is phenomenal.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 02:57 PM 02-12-2024
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
"Every QB in the 70s/80s/90s was tougher than any QB born since!" :-)

Reality: NFL players today are bigger, stronger, faster than they were then.

A better question is, could Elway/Montana/etc have survived a hit from Aaron Donald? Probably not without being ripped in half.
So you don’t think there were defensive stars in the 80s bigger than Donald?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:40 PM 02-12-2024
So I guess we officially "saw" this season huh? Chiefs dynasty completed. Spot on about Denver. Spot on about never doubting a team with the best HC QB and defense in the league. Uh oh....
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 03:40 PM 02-12-2024
"Every QB in the 70s/80s/90s was tougher than any QB born since!" :-)

Reality: NFL players today are bigger, stronger, faster than they were then.

A better question is, could Elway/Montana/etc have survived a hit from Aaron Donald? Probably not without being ripped in half.
How did Donald hit them? Did they fall on him with force? That's a penalty. Did Donald hit him low? That's a penalty. See what I mean. It's all relative. Any of those guys playing in their era of this eras' rules would benefit greatly. It undeniable and players of those eras frequently say so and they are the authority. Now take the guys form this era and put them in that era under those rules...who's to say how they would fair. I believe they would not fair so well.

In the 70's there was no PI or chuck rule as an example. Heck you used to be able to just smack other linemen in the head. Just ask the Deacon.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:42 PM 02-12-2024
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
How did Donald hit them? Did they fall on him with force? That's a penalty. Did Donald hit him low? That's a penalty. See what I mean. It's all relative. Any of those guys playing in their era of this eras' rules would benefit greatly. It undeniable and players of those eras frequently say so and they are the authority. Now take the guys form this era and put them in that era under those rules...who's to say how they would fair. I believe they would not fair so well.

In the 70's there was no PI or chuck rule as an example. Heck you used to be able to just smack other linemen in the head. Just ask the Deacon.
Elway was a crybaby loser his entire career until crisco and the team circumventing the salary cap. Who cried about crowd noise again?
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 03:44 PM 02-12-2024
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni:
Elway was a crybaby loser his entire career until crisco and the team circumventing the salary cap. Who cried about crowd noise again?
LOL...cry some more.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:45 PM 02-12-2024
LOL...cry some more.
Lick the Chiefs boots! :-)
[Reply]
In58men 02-12-2024, 03:48 PM
This message has been deleted by In58men.
Mile High Mania 03:52 PM 02-12-2024
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni:
I always thought it was weird that the NFL had a rule about crowd noise. I’m sure he’s not the only one that tried leveraging it.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 03:53 PM 02-12-2024
Originally Posted by Mile High Mania:
So you don’t think there were defensive stars in the 80s bigger than Donald?
Maybe fatter. Stronger/faster? Doubtful.

I'm not even sure that Donald's the biggest or strongest in today's game. Just threw out a name. Are you denying that players are bigger/stronger/faster today on average?
[Reply]
New World Order 03:56 PM 02-12-2024
Knowmo get your butt in here!!!
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 03:58 PM 02-12-2024
Maybe fatter. Stronger/faster? Doubtful.

I'm not even sure that Donald's the biggest strongest in today's game. Just threw out a name. Are you denying that players are bigger/stronger/faster today on average?
Players continue to transform physically. The 80s are littered with stud defensive players that were not as constrained by the rules like they are now. You really think QBs had it easier back then considering the rules?

Just watch some of the promo videos in the 70s and 80s, the league glorified big hits.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 04:03 PM 02-12-2024

There's still a shitload of injuries, right? In fact, I think as many as ever. The notion of "flag football" is ridiculous. Players have to be more careful, but there are still plenty of big hits, even on QBs.

People nostalgic for that era only focus on what those players had to face, and not what they didn't have to face. Like I said, I'd love to see guys like Elway play against modern players under the old rules. Then we'd see how "tough" he was.
[Reply]
New World Order 04:07 PM 02-12-2024

Garcia, Mahomes is better than Elway.

MVP’s, first-team all-pros, Sbs, SB MVPs…

Just accept it
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 04:08 PM 02-12-2024
There's still a shitload of injuries, right? In fact, I think as many as ever. The notion of "flag football" is ridiculous. Players have to be more careful, but there are still plenty of big hits, even on QBs.

People nostalgic for that era only focus on what those players had to face, and not what they didn't have to face. Like I said, I'd love to see guys like Elway play against modern players under the old rules. Then we'd see how "tough" he was.
My only point is the way a defense could hit a guy then vs now is not minor, it’s a very big difference. Yes players get hurt, it’s a contact sport and many of the changes were needed.

If you polled the QBs of the 70s and 80s and asked which version of the league they’d prefer to play, most would say now.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 04:09 PM 02-12-2024
Originally Posted by New World Order:
Garcia, Mahomes is better than Elway.

MVP’s, first-team all-pros, Sbs, SB MVPs…

Just accept it
Mahomes has played great in a league where defenses are barely allowed to tackle the quarterback. Accept that.
[Reply]
New World Order 02-12-2024, 04:10 PM
This message has been deleted by New World Order.
Page 4712 of 4914
« First < 3712421246124662470247084709471047114712 4713471447154716472247624812 > Last »
Up