ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 46 of 82
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
CoMoChief 04:27 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Anyone remember Smacks? I remember them when i was a kid in KC.
you mean the sugar puff cereal with the Frog on the front???
[Reply]
gblowfish 04:32 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
you mean the sugar puff cereal with the Frog on the front???
Nope.
Smacks was a chain of hamburger stands, with "Smackie the Seal" as their mascot.

They had multiple locations around KC.
[Reply]
gblowfish 04:37 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
I read today on Pitch that the original Texas Toms closed. Never ate there, but I remember some of you talking about it
Toxic Tom's was 1am stoner food.
Border basket with a deep fried "burrito" -a major deep fried gut bomb-, greasy tacos, fries, a hamburger. The food was all greasy and cheap but plentiful.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:22 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
used to be one on 7th st in kck, iirc there is still one in sedalia mo.
Yes, that Griff's was on 7th until the mid 80s I think, maybe later.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:25 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Inspector:
Loma Vista bowling alley - tacos...

Allens, Kings. A place I think was called the "Y" out by longview road on Blue Ridge - but I think that might have closed in the late 50's or 60's....

Plus so many others mentioned on here like Paul's, etc.....

OK, I gotta go eat lunch now.
That's the second mention of Allen's. Was that a drive-in? I vaguely remember it.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:34 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Toxic Tom's was 1am stoner food.
Border basket with a deep fried "burrito" -a major deep fried gut bomb-, greasy tacos, fries, a hamburger. The food was all greasy and cheap but plentiful.
i remember the sand dune minature displays incased between booths, the place had character.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:46 PM 01-26-2010
Texas Tom's was the worst excuse for a restaurant that ever existed. There was one next to where I worked in the summer during my high school days. Back then I'd eat damn near anything, but I ate at TT 3-4 times and had enough.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:57 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Texas Tom's was the worst excuse for a restaurant that ever existed. There was one next to where I worked in the summer during my high school days. Back then I'd eat damn near anything, but I ate at TT 3-4 times and had enough.
Well, it's no Taco Via, that's for sure. :-)
[Reply]
stlchiefs 11:04 PM 01-26-2010
You bite your tongue! The Buckaroo Basket was an amazing drunken feast. The Texas Tom's on Troost was the place to go for late food in college. Javed the manager/employee was an amazing Chef! :-)
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:41 PM 04-20-2012
can anyone tell me if Whisler's Hamburgers in Carthage, Mo. is still around? I'm getting conflicting reports from Google. There site seems to be up, also. But i thought i remembered hearing on CP it'd closed. Cp news is usually accurate.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 12:56 PM 04-20-2012
Naugles.
[Reply]
Alton deFlat 01:01 PM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
can anyone tell me if Whisler's Hamburgers in Carthage, Mo. is still around? I'm getting conflicting reports from Google. There site seems to be up, also. But i thought i remembered hearing on CP it'd closed. Cp news is usually accurate.
Yes they are. Just called them, to find out for sure.
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:04 PM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Alton deFlat:
Yes they are. Just called them, to find out for sure.
Ty - i'd sure like on of those down here, good burger in a pinch.
[Reply]
Predarat 01:08 PM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by badgirl:
Well I can't think of any that doesn't still exist, but I did work after school at a curb side restaurant. The same few old men would be up there sitting around having cup after cup of coffee and talking about the news for the day, week whatever. I would go to the car, take their order and then walk their meal to them. We made good food there, not so much like the quick frozen stuff, it was actually homemade food like potatoes and pies that were made from scratch. hmmmm makes me wish it was still open, I may take a drive 2 hours away just to eat tomorrow.
I bet you made them crunch on ice chips when they really wanted Orange Juice.
[Reply]
bobbymitch 01:10 PM 04-20-2012
That's the second mention of Allen's. Was that a drive-in? I vaguely remember it.
Since this this thread was bumped - Allens was "the place to cruise" after Winsteads. The Allen Royal was their signature basket meal. Both Allens and Smaks were owned by the same company, IIRC.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 82
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Up