ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 46 of 94
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>UPDATE: Ford to 49ers for a 2020 2nd round pick. Official.
Dante84 06:19 PM 03-12-2019

More trade news: The #Chiefs are deep in talks with the #49ers on a trade for star pass-rusher Dee Ford, sources say. Things have escalated and this could get done by the end of the night. Ford needs to work out a new contract with SF, which is a big piece of this.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2019

The trade is essentially agreed to — Ford for a 2020 2nd round pick. That assumes the #49ers get a deal done with Ford. https://t.co/g4tYK2tWFh

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2019

[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 04:13 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Yes, but if he plays under the franchise tag this season, we're on the hook for the entire ~16mm salary this year. It hits our cap this year. There's no deferring and no restructuring - it limits what we can do otherwise. And this for a guy who might not even fit into the scheme.
$16MM for an elite pass rusher? Sounds like a bargain, especially when he just got paid $2-3MM more than that from SF...

On the flip side we could tie that money up in an undersized safety who is a liability in pass coverage... :-)... makes perfect sense...
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:16 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Chief_N_Bama:
$16MM for an elite pass rusher? Sounds like a bargain, especially when he just got paid $2-3MM more than that from SF...

On the flip side we could tie that money up in an undersized safety who is a liability in pass coverage... :-)... makes perfect sense...
Do you have a personal connection to Dee Ford?
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 04:22 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Do you have a personal connection to Dee Ford?
Do you? Did he fuck your wife/GF?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:25 AM 03-13-2019

I like that you keep capitalizing 'EDGE' in all of your posts to really emphasize how much more important that position is than any other on the defense. No one is disputing that the value of an 'EDGE' rusher is more than a safety, but that's not the goal. The goal is to field a balanced and competitive defense. We haven't done that. Now we're making wholesale changes as a result to scheme and personnel and Ford no longer fits into those plans. So you can continue to whine about the choice between Mathieu and Ford as if that's the only thing in isolation that we're all arguing about, but you would be acting obtuse.
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 04:28 AM 03-13-2019
I like that you keep capitalizing 'EDGE' in all of your posts to really emphasize how much more important that position is than any other on the defense. No one is disputing that the value of an 'EDGE' rusher is more than a safety, but that's not the goal. The goal is to field a balanced and competitive defense. We haven't done that. Now we're making wholesale changes as a result to scheme and personnel and Ford no longer fits into those plans. So you can continue to whine about the choice between Mathieu and Ford as if that's the only thing in isolation that we're all arguing about, but you would be acting obtuse.
LOL... I like how you act like you know what the plan is, and know it's going to work... cause you know... Veach is a genius...

Also LOVE how you guys talk about the scheme and fit as if y'all really ****ing know it...

... but I'm the one being obtuse... lol
[Reply]
scho63 04:36 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Beethoven:
Losing our two best pass rushers in one offseason isn't something to celebrate. I hope we are well compensated by this trade.
You might have a lot of NEG REP but you are 100% right on this. I'm not sure some people are thinking too clearly. Who we got rushing the passer now? :-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:39 AM 03-13-2019
Ford is as good as DT?
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 04:42 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Ford is as good as DT?
Because that is exactly what I said...

... but I'm the one being obtuse here... lol

... guess this is one of them strawmen I was warned about earlier...
[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:43 AM 03-13-2019
LOL... I like how you act like you know what the plan is, and know it's going to work... cause you know... Veach is a genius...

Also LOVE how you guys talk about the scheme and fit as if y'all really ****ing know it...

... but I'm the one being obtuse... lol
They were under no obligation to trade Ford. The idea that they'd do it with no clear path forward? When they were a neutral zone infraction away from the Super Bowl? Riiiiiiight..... Now you might not agree with the path eventually taken, but you don't even know what the fuck you're complaining about yet.

And no, I don't know the 'scheme' and 'fit' but Spags does and decided to trade Ford rather than have him play under the franchise tag.

As I said in another post, you can have an informed opinion in six weeks.
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 04:52 AM 03-13-2019
They were under no obligation to trade Ford. The idea that they'd do it with no clear path forward? When they were a neutral zone infraction away from the Super Bowl? Riiiiiiight..... Now you might not agree with the path eventually taken, but you don't even know what the **** you're complaining about yet.

And no, I don't know the 'scheme' and 'fit' but Spags does and decided to trade Ford rather than have him play under the franchise tag.

As I said in another post, you can have an informed opinion in six weeks.
Wait, are you implying that your opinion is informed??? LOL....

I do know that we have gotten rid of 2/3's of our pass rush, and traded away the best player on the team last year for what we basically could have received by retaining his services for one more year and then letting him walk.

I do know that if you can't rush the passer you aren't going to be very good on defense.

I do know that when Veach tried to draft a pass rusher last year we ended up with Speaks.

I do know that there's a 90% chance that, next season, Ford would have likely outproduced whoever we draft to replace him.

I mean we traded away Peters (a move I agreed with at the time) and got appreciably worse in the secondary. But Veach had a plan, and that's all that matters, right?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 05:01 AM 03-13-2019
I do know that if you can't rush the passer you aren't going to be very good on defense.
We had 2 of the top 5 edge rushers in football last year. Clearly, if you can rush the passer, that doesn't guarantee much either.

Originally Posted by :
I do know that when Veach tried to draft a pass rusher last year we ended up with Speaks.
Yes, a player widely acknowledged to be better suited to a 4-3 (even shortly after the draft, this was discussed) and who was playing behind two of the best pass rushers in football.

Originally Posted by :
I do know that there's a 90% chance that, next season, Ford would have likely outproduced whoever we draft to replace him.
There you go again with your straw man argument. Keep it going.
[Reply]
FAH-Q 05:06 AM 03-13-2019
I certainly understand the angst people have over losing our two best pass rushers. It's definitely warranted concern. I don't think they EVER intended on giving Ford a long term deal. In this sense, you either keep him for one more year, assuming you can use him to get over the hump and get to the Super Bowl (because let's be honest, if we kept him for one year and never signed him to a long term deal, unless we actually make it to a SB, it's a waste either way), or you make a move now to trade him and get some sort of value out of it. Veach was in a tough spot no matter what. Villainize him if you want, but we need to see how this plays out.

The argument is whether our defense is better without him. That remains to be seen, but given his injury history and the Chiefs history of signing guys after being on a one year "prove it" franchise tag has failed miserably, so I think his ass was gone whether it be now or next year. I don't care how they do it, just make the defense serviceable enough to get to the SB. It's that or it's fail, with or without Houston and Ford.
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 05:06 AM 03-13-2019
We had 2 of the top 5 edge rushers in football last year. Clearly, if you can rush the passer, that doesn't guarantee much either.

Yes, a player widely acknowledged to be better suited to a 4-3 (even shortly after the draft, this was discussed) and who was playing behind two of the best pass rushers in football.

There you go again with your straw man argument. Keep it going.
Yeah, our defense last year had nothing to do with having a secondary comprised of a bunch of cast-offs, and ILB's who couldn't fill a gap if it was between their teeth.

Imagine how bad the defense would have been without rushing the passer? Or are you making an argument that pass rush is overrated? PLEASE go on record with THAT position.

I'm starting to think that word is used a lot on here but y'all really don't know how to use it... LOL
[Reply]
Danguardace 05:07 AM 03-13-2019
I dont care what the Defense does as long as it isn't pushed around like it was in those embarrassing Play-off games against PIt, Ten and the AFCCG.

We need a defense that isn't going to Keep Pat on the sidelines holding his Dick.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:07 AM 03-13-2019
Wait, are you implying that your opinion is informed??? LOL....

I do know that we have gotten rid of 2/3's of our pass rush, and traded away the best player on the team last year for what we basically could have received by retaining his services for one more year and then letting him walk.

I mean we traded away Peters (a move I agreed with at the time) and got appreciably worse in the secondary. But Veach had a plan, and that's all that matters, right?
I do know the Chiefs didn’t trade the best player on the team. Not close.

I do know a second round pick in 2020 is not the same value as a comp 3rd rounder in 2020. It’s much more valuable.

I do know the offseason isn’t over yet. You’re right that pass rush is important, but pass rush at the expense of the run defense and any sort of discipline is an overrated factor. And that’s what your boi provided/(s)

We know there’s better than a 50 percent chance your boo gets hurt and misses time or is slowed by injury. Makes it hard to say there’s a 90 percent chance he outperforms anyone.

Speaks wasn’t drafted as a pass rusher. He was drafted as a versatile, all-around defender who could help in run defense. He’ll fit well in an even front that moves him inside in pass rushing situations.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 94
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Up