ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 45 of 202
« First < 354142434445 464748495595145 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:18 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Too much of a pussy? No.

But how much of it is him not wanting to get injured again.....so he's not going to push it if he doesn't think he's 100% ready to go?
Whats wrong with this idea?
[Reply]
Shoes 10:19 AM 10-17-2018
As long as we are still winning and are in the driver seat for the #1 seed in the AFC, I don't care how long Berry sits. He'll be back when he's ready.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:19 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Whats wrong with this idea?
Then he'll never be ready. It's a deformity.....not an issue that is just going to clear up over time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:21 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Shoes:
As long as we are still winning and are in the driver seat for the #1 seed in the AFC, I don't care how long Berry sits. He'll be back when he's ready.
After Sunday night, the Chiefs are not in the driver's seat for the #1 seed. That belongs to NE for now.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:23 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It actually makes a huge difference in terms of PR.

This silliness with Berry being a "pussy" started in earnest the minute this news came out.

Don't think for a minute the Chiefs didn't leak this to the media. The conversation instantly changed from the Chiefs being the reason he's not playing to Berry being the reason he's not playing.
The narrative didn't change.

Reid said for weeks before this news came out that "Eric knows his body and is telling us how he feels. We trust him to let us know when he's ready..." or something to that effect.

There hasn't been a question since about week 2 that Berry being out is because Berry is saying he can't play. The only thing that has changed is WHY Berry is saying he can't play.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:23 AM 10-17-2018

If it's THAT BAD from a pain perspective.....then why aren't you on the IR?
At some point they may have to.

I've said repeatedly that they can likely handle it to some extent with pain management but that has diminishing returns the longer you take that route.

That being the case you wait as long as possible and then he goes out and plays as long as he can.

Why push it at this point when they are 5-1 and likely to head into the bye week with 1 or maybe 2 losses?

I'm just speculating like everyone else but it makes more sense than Berry is a pussy and the team has been lying the whole time.

Shit I am sure had they known how this was going to play out he would have started the season on IR but really when you look at the fact we already have a few guys on IR we would like to get back and you can only have 2, I think they played this right at this point.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:24 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
After Sunday night, the Chiefs are not in the driver's seat for the #1 seed. That belongs to NE for now.
Ummm we still have the best record in the AFC.

We’re absolutely in the drivers seat.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 10-17-2018

To what gain? I mean at this point, if you IR him he's gone until what, week 14? And so you can go get another guy like Josh Shaw to watch Gronk run circles around him? Besides, there are 8 gameday inactives each week anyway. If you IR Berry, you're just going to make his likely replacement the same gameday inactive he is.

I see no real reason to IR him at this point. At least leave open the possibility of him finally nutting up and getting back on the field at some point.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:25 AM 10-17-2018
At some point they may have to.

I've said repeatedly that they can likely handle it to some extent with pain management but that has diminishing returns the longer you take that route.

That being the case you wait as long as possible and then he goes out and plays as long as he can.

Why push it at this point when they are 5-1 and likely to head into the bye week with 1 or maybe 2 losses?

I'm just speculating like everyone else but it makes more sense than Berry is a pussy and the team has been lying the whole time.

Shit I am sure had they known how this was going to play out he would have started the season on IR but really when you look at the fact we already have a few guys on IR we would like to get back and you can only have 2, I think they played this right at this point.
If it's going to require surgery, which it sounds like it might, then waiting is only going to cost him time next season. If he can't go this season, then put him on IR and get the surgery now, so that he's ready to go Week 1 of next season.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:27 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Ummm we still have the best record in the AFC.

We’re absolutely in the drivers seat.
It's all going to depend on whether this Patriots team actually falls off or if this is just like every other year.

I'm not going to assume the Patriots are going less than 12-4 until they actually do it. Seen them do this too many times.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:27 AM 10-17-2018
Who says he's been lying?

But let me ask you this - do you truly believe that he wouldn't be out there right now if this were 2 seasons ago and he was playing for that big LTC?

It's human nature - when you 'arrive', you often lose an edge. Whether consciously or sub-consciously, I believe Berry's desire to get back on the field is less than it would have been when he was in the middle of his contract drive.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:28 AM 10-17-2018

Fuck IR. If the pain is that bad after 2+ months of rest and rehab is he ever going to be able to play without getting rid of the bone spur?
[Reply]
MIAdragon 10:32 AM 10-17-2018
Then he'll never be ready. It's a deformity.....not an issue that is just going to clear up over time.
How is this so hard to understand?
[Reply]
chiefforlife 10:33 AM 10-17-2018
Do we know if he is practicing today?
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 10:35 AM 10-17-2018
funny people want to call a guy that came back just a couple of months after cancer to play in the NFL a pussy...

I don't have a Haglunds deformity, but a similar issue, and it's difficult for me to walk without pain some days.
[Reply]
Page 45 of 202
« First < 354142434445 464748495595145 > Last »
Up