ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 45 of 82
« First < 354142434445 4647484955 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
Dartgod 12:18 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
Pappi's Pizza - I think still around in Lee's Summit
It's still there, but the original owners sold it a couple of years ago. Forget their name...Frank I know and I forget his wife's name. I think their last name was Burr. My first job ever was at Pappi's. Damn that was a blast.

Anyway, the pizza is nowhere near as good as it used to be.
[Reply]
Lin Elliot 12:28 PM 01-26-2010
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet as I'm not going to read every page of this insane thread but in the lower level of Blue Ridge Mall there used to be a place called "Don's World of Beef", or something like that. Had the best sandwiches around. If I remember right, there was also a radio station in the basement of that mall.
[Reply]
penguinz 12:31 PM 01-26-2010
Anyone else here remember Lucille's in westport?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:34 PM 01-26-2010
Anyone remember Smacks? I remember them when i was a kid in KC.
[Reply]
FishingRod 12:55 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
In Overland Park...

Here's the places I grew up with and still have to eat at every time I come back in town...

Taco Via
Haywards...I remember the little hole in the wall off of 95th street...and you had to wait an hour or more to get seated...
Pizza Shoppe....greatest pizza on the planet.
John's Space Age Donuts....yumm. (heard they're closed now??? is this true?? sad if so)
Wylies....outstanding double or triple burgers...
Sounds like we were from the same part of town. John's is closed? Say it ain't so. If you are old enough there was a Smacks and a Red Barn on 95th a little west of Antioch.
[Reply]
Pneuma 01:02 PM 01-26-2010
Here is a few I could think of...

Shoney's
Po Folks (SP?)
Ponderossa
[Reply]
SAUTO 01:27 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Inspector:
Loma Vista bowling alley - tacos...

Allens, Kings. A place I think was called the "Y" out by longview road on Blue Ridge - but I think that might have closed in the late 50's or 60's....

Plus so many others mentioned on here like Paul's, etc.....

OK, I gotta go eat lunch now.
been gone from the hood 11 years and they still know my order at pauls in armourdale
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:33 PM 01-26-2010
I'm surprised nobody but me seem to remember Whistlers hamburgers in Carthage, hell, they even served Vess cola.
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:34 PM 01-26-2010
Common w/ the visits to Blue Ridge we'd always hit up Orange Julius.
[Reply]
Al Czervik 03:33 PM 01-26-2010
Seems like quite a few posters grew up in JOCO....
Here is a good video that shows some old Metcalf South
pictures as well as some Restaurants/Hangouts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYaE...eature=related
[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:35 PM 01-26-2010
In the late 70's in Pensacola I ate late night breakfast many times at Sambos, they were a chain similar to Denny's. I believe black folks didn't take kindly to the name and eventually they went under in the 80's. That one did a hell of a lot of business, it was in a mall parking lot right next to a club called triple decker "Big Daddys", which was also a chain out of Ft. Lauderdale.

As mentioned earlier, I remember when I lived in Savannah, eating at "Po Folks" and they were always packed. Drank ice tea out of a mason jar and usually ate fried chicken. When I moved to Baltimore in 1989, they had a Po Folks here but they went out of business before I had a chance to eat there.

They haven't gone out of business, but since I moved north I miss "Krystal Hamburgers" and "Sonny's BBQ". Last year when I hit Myrtle Beach first place I went to was Krystal for their little burgers. Next time I get to Orlando I'll hit Sonny's, you can get a great plate of food for cheap.
[Reply]
ZepSinger 03:40 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Anyone else here remember Lucille's in westport?
Yep! Used to eat there after playing the Lone Star...
[Reply]
KC native 03:41 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Common w/ the visits to Blue Ridge we'd always hit up Orange Julius.
:-) Man, blue ridge mall (i always preferred independence center bc the blue springs girls used to go there and they were better than the hood rats around my way). That takes me back. My mom lives over by there now.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:53 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Al Czervik:
Seems like quite a few posters grew up in JOCO....
Here is a good video that shows some old Metcalf South
pictures as well as some Restaurants/Hangouts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYaE...eature=related
Cool link. I can't believe some of the old stores from the 1980's still have signs up like Nearly Famous Pizza.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 03:57 PM 01-26-2010
It appears that Rays in E.S. is still around.

I dont remember it having that kind of facade circa 1977-84.
[Reply]
Page 45 of 82
« First < 354142434445 4647484955 > Last »
Up