ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 44 of 82
« First < 344041424344 4546474854 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
Dottefan 11:52 PM 01-25-2010
I know any body growing up in KCK back in the day would know about Paul Bunyan's...cheeseburger basket, burrito baskets, taco baskets..
[Reply]
Dottefan 11:52 PM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
I read today on Pitch that the original Texas Toms closed. Never ate there, but I remember some of you talking about it

Straight up stoner food......so good :-)
[Reply]
Earthling 01:55 AM 01-26-2010
Griffs hamburger joint in Wichita. Never saw another one anywhere but I still remember their advertising sign out front..."Hamburgers .15 cents"
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:38 AM 01-26-2010
Did not read through all 44 pages so these may have already be listed.

Zuider Zee on Noland Road in Independence. The front used to look like a windmill and had a great salad bar with a great big block of cheese.

House of Toy - Chinese food down on the southwest corner of the Plaza in Kansas City.

Later Chinese place was Hunan's also off Noland Road. A whole family could eat for a few dollars.

Jenny's in Lee's Summit - home of $4.00 steaks.

Country Medallion Inn in Raytown Not sure if that was really the name. Steaks with a layer of cheese and mushroom gravy.

Pappi's Pizza - I think still around in Lee's Summit

Johnny Ray's in Lee's Summit still around now.

A framed building in Warrensburg that sold bags of burgers, Ku Ku burgers. Maybe called the Ku Ku Hut or something like that.

Tim's Pizza - Not the one in Independence but it was in Warrensburg by the bowling alley on Hwy 13.

Of course Sonic for the Sonic burger.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:30 AM 01-26-2010
If any of you went to college at Truman State:

Pancake City.

It's a 24 hour greasy spoon that offers a huge truck stop type menu along with a lot of interesting local fare.

The best food:

Grub fries. French fries covered in pan fried bacon, with sour cream, melted liquid cheese (very important) and ketchup.

That along with either an order of biscuits and gravy or toasted ravioli makes for the greatest drunk food imaginable.

I refuse to eat at Waffle House just b/c I've been so spoiled by "The Shitty".
[Reply]
tyton75 07:55 AM 01-26-2010
I miss Zipp's..

northland, 72nd st and N. Oak... the burgers were cheap and the fries were awesome!.. everyday after football practice I would stop there and eat before going home.

its an LC's now
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:00 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Oxford:
Allens on State Line south of Ward Parkway, Bamboo hut on 40 HWY, V's on 40 HWY and Sterling
V's had a nice robust Marinara, that place will never 'set the world on fire' -but, legitimate 'safe' americanized Italian. They still offer their frozen Ravs and containers of marinara at the sto?
[Reply]
DMAC 08:20 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by tyton75:
I miss Zipp's..

northland, 72nd st and N. Oak... the burgers were cheap and the fries were awesome!.. everyday after football practice I would stop there and eat before going home.

its an LC's now
Is it just me, or does anyone else get the raging derrs everytime they eat at LC's.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 08:31 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Back in the 1980's Lou Whitney & the Morells (Springfield based band) did a rockabilly song about Red's. One of those places that live in people's memories. Too bad its been gone for so long.

Hey, I found a video!
http://www.vimeo.com/groups/21864/videos/6228379
very cool!

Props G.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 08:36 AM 01-26-2010
i may have asked this before but ive slept since then.

What was the name of the diner that was downtown excelsior?
Rays maybe?

my granddad used to take me there when i was little-little and get me a burger and he'd drink sugar w/ coffee.

Then we would head out to the waste water treatment and id catch contaminated frogs...:-)
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:37 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Earthling:
Griffs hamburger joint in Wichita. Never saw another one anywhere but I still remember their advertising sign out front..."Hamburgers .15 cents"
used to be one on 7th st in kck, iirc there is still one in sedalia mo.
[Reply]
KC native 09:05 AM 01-26-2010
Not reading through the whole thread but

1) LC's- I grew up right around the corner from the one by the stadiums. I remember when his smoker used to be outside.

2) Big Boy (and Hi Boy)- Awesome burgers. I was partial to Big Boy and my little bro liked Hi Boy so that always made arguments about where to go fun.

3) Las Playas - Our family's restaurant that used to be on 40 highway in the historic site house thingy. Had my first job there actually. My 16-17 year old cousins used to love me because I was always willing to come in and work on Fridays and Saturdays once I turned 12.

4) Town Topic-This was more my high school years. My friend and I would get smashed hanging out down on the West Side, Westport, and occasionally down in the Dotte but we would always make it to Town Topic to end the night. TRUCKSTOP FTW!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:09 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by KC native:
Not reading through the whole thread but

1) LC's- I grew up right around the corner from the one by the stadiums. I remember when his smoker used to be outside.

2) Big Boy (and Hi Boy)- Awesome burgers. I was partial to Big Boy and my little bro liked Hi Boy so that always made arguments about where to go fun.

3) Las Playas - Our family's restaurant that used to be on 40 highway in the historic site house thingy. Had my first job there actually. My 16-17 year old cousins used to love me because I was always willing to come in and work on Fridays and Saturdays once I turned 12.

4) Town Topic-This was more my high school years. My friend and I would get smashed hanging out down on the West Side, Westport, and occasionally down in the Dotte but we would always make it to Town Topic to end the night. TRUCKSTOP FTW!!!!!!!!!!

Las Playas has been mentioned by me, already & everyone just stared at me funny, dude, I went there as a kid RE--LIGIOUSLY.
[Reply]
KC native 09:15 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Las Playas has been mentioned by me, already & everyone just stared at me funny, dude, I went there as a kid RE--LIGIOUSLY.
Small world. I wouldn't be surprised if we were there at the same time. I practically lived there for a good portion of my youth. I used to think my great grandparents were awesome because being from Mexico they loved wrestling so if we were there and wrestling was on I was sitting there watching it with great grandpa and grandma.
[Reply]
Inspector 12:15 PM 01-26-2010
Loma Vista bowling alley - tacos...

Allens, Kings. A place I think was called the "Y" out by longview road on Blue Ridge - but I think that might have closed in the late 50's or 60's....

Plus so many others mentioned on here like Paul's, etc.....

OK, I gotta go eat lunch now.
[Reply]
Page 44 of 82
« First < 344041424344 4546474854 > Last »
Up