ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 43 of 176
« First < 333940414243 444546475393143 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2018 Royals Offseason Repository ***
duncan_idaho 08:24 PM 11-17-2017
It's the end of the world as we know it... and we feel... fine?

2018 is a season of transition for the Royals, or at least it is at this point. Dayton Moore is back. Will he swing full into THE PROCESS 2.0? Or will he try to load up again and make some reload magic happen?

Pending Free Agents:
1B | Eric Hosmer | San Diego Padres, 8 years, $144 million ($5 million signing bonus; $20 million/year in Yrs 1-5; $13 million/year in Yrs 6-8 wth player opt out)
Spoiler!

3B | Mike Moustaskas | Kansas City Royas, 1, $6.5 million
Spoiler!

CF | Lorenzo Cain | Milwaukee Brewers, 5 years, $80 million
Spoiler!

RP | Mike Minor | Texas Rangers, 3, $28 million
Spoiler!

SP | Jason Vargas | New York Mets, 2, $16 million
Spoiler!

SS | Alcides Escobar | Kansas City Royals, 1, $2.5 million
Spoiler!

2018 MLB Draft Picks
#33 - Compensation (Eric Hosmer)
#34 - Compensation (Lorenzo Cain)
#40 (Competitive Balance Round A)

Comp picks explanation:
Spoiler!

2018 Draft Names to Watch

RHP Kumar Rocker, N Oconnee HS, Georgia.
Spoiler!

OF Jarred Kelenic, Waukasha West HS, WI
Spoiler!

1B Triston Casas, American Heritage HS (FL).
Spoiler!

RHP Carter Stewart, Eau de Gallie HS (Ga).
Spoiler!

ANY Any, Any (Any). Any current top projected pick who slides for injury concerns. Includes current top prospect prospect SP Brady Singer, U of Florida.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:13 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But again - no he didn't.

If he was consistently blowing leads in high% situations, his WPA would be a mess. If he came into a bunch of 8th inning games with 2 run leads (what, an 80% likely win) and turned them into 1 or 2 run defecits, that would cripple his WPA. He did have some games like that and those dropped some nasty numbers on his WPA (we'll get to those later). If he did that often, he damn sure wouldn't have held a positive WPA on the season.

Like I said - nobody likes their 7th/8th inning relievers because when they do their job it's just a 'ho hum' moment. But 48 times in 59 games, Joakim Soria left the mound with his team having higher odds of winning than they had when he entered. So more than 80% of the time he took the mound, he did his job, high leverage and low leverage included.

But he had 4 REALLY tough outings in there (4/28, 5/29, 7/31 and 8/15), two of which were against divisional opponents - Min and Det, the other 2 against 2 recent playoff foes for KC - Bal and Oak. So those stand out something awful.

No, there's not a single stat that tells the whole story and I'm not arguing that there is. But what I am arguing is that the stats on aggregate absolutely do tell A story and that story is that of a relatively forgettable, slightly above average reliever. That's all Soria is. His numbers say that. His gamelogs say that. His stuff says that.

Everything says that but your memory and frankly, we fans are not reliable narrators.
Soria had a lot of bad luck that doesn't show up on the stat sheet.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 01:18 PM 01-05-2018
A lot of Soria hate is overreaction from fans who for three years got spoiled from rarely seeing a lead blown after the 6th inning.

And I don't mean that in a condescending way. I mean, when you have a historic shutdown bullpen for such an usual amount of time, you get so comfortable that it naturally becomes a shock when the situation reverts to more normal levels.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:25 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
A lot of Soria hate is overreaction from fans who for three years got spoiled from rarely seeing a lead blown after the 6th inning.

And I don't mean that in a condescending way. I mean, when you have a historic shutdown bullpen for such an usual amount of time, you get so comfortable that it naturally becomes a shock when the situation reverts to more normal levels.
That also has a lot to do with it.

That terminator bullpen you guys had with Herrera, Davis and Holland in their primes put together the best season or two of relief work as a trio arguably in baseball history. They were unreal.

But that's not happening again. Ever. Teams can keep trying to assemble super 'pens but reliever volatility says the odds of them ever having 3 guys put together years like that simultaneously are pretty much nil regardless of how much money they spend.

Soria was just...normal. He had his bad days but he had far more good ones. The problem for Jack was that Royals fans weren't used to guys having their bad days because his predecessors simply didn't. They were machines.
[Reply]
RockChalk 01:35 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Soria had a lot of bad luck that doesn't show up on the stat sheet.
Joakim, is that you?
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:37 PM 01-05-2018
I'm sure White Sox fans will be patient, kind and loving with him. Especially when he grooves an 2-2 pitch for a game losing dinger.
[Reply]
cabletech94 01:53 PM 01-05-2018
^^man this guy is salty!!!

and i like it!!!
[Reply]
sedated 02:53 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by sedated:
Maybe this fanbase notices it more because 2014/2015 success was based on doing all the small things right.

Same with Soria - when you have 2-3 years of an absolutely unhittable bullpen, giving up a lead in the 7th is just something that is completely foreign.
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 03:06 PM 01-05-2018
Soria was 2nd in the AL in blown saves. He was shit no matter how much polish you break out.
7 blown saves in back to back years? Great trade.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:35 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Soria was 2nd in the AL in blown saves. He was shit no matter how much polish you break out.

Will you still consider it a great trade if Alexander puts up 10 wins worth of value over the next five seasons, Oaks and Mejia give KC nothing, and Soria performs roughly on par with the 2017 version of himself?

Because if that happens, this becomes a salary dump gone very very wrong.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 03:40 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Will you still consider it a great trade if Alexander puts up 10 wins worth of value over the next five seasons, Oaks and Mejia give KC nothing, and Soria performs roughly on par with the 2017 version of himself?

Because if that happens, this becomes a salary dump gone very very wrong.
I guess we also need to factor in what they do with the 8 million saved.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:48 PM 01-05-2018

Sure.

Unless it's a flat salary dump and just a way to decrease 2018 payroll.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 04:16 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by sedated:

Eh, sorry, but join the club. Happens to us all.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:19 PM 01-05-2018
Well that will get you one season of....Joakim Soria.

If Alexander is anywhere close to what he was last season for the next 4-5 years, there's no way they'll recapture that value with $8 million.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:35 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Having a great bullpen on a losing team is worthless.
Not having a great bullpen is a sure fire way to have a losing team.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 05:58 PM 01-05-2018
This. He's blown 14 saves last 2 years alone. Our team blew only 12 in 2014.

32 in 2015 which surprised me, Herrera 8 by his lonesome
[Reply]
Page 43 of 176
« First < 333940414243 444546475393143 > Last »
Up