ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 42 of 103
« First < 323839404142 434445465292 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2018 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:36 PM 07-30-2018
The beginning of the 2018 season is a little under five weeks away. Missouri enters the year projected to finish 4th in the East, and may be a borderline Top 25 team according to some projection systems. After a disappointing recruiting cycle last year, pressure is on Odom to restock the cupboard after the senior years of Lock and Beckner, who will go down as two of the better Tigers in history and likely first round draft picks.

Schedule:

Spoiler!

Recruiting:

Spoiler!

At this point, the class is ranked 68-69 nationally by Rivals and 24/7. Odom is going to have to rely on Pinkel's diamond-in-the-rough approach. It looks like they've pulled back considerably from Georgia, focusing more upon Texas, which is what they should have always done. Unfortunately, they've done horrific in-state, and I think that will likely end up being the nail in Odom's coffin after the 2019 season.

12/19 Update: A strong finish late in the cycle moved the class up significantly. Securing commitments from grad transfer Kelly Bryant and TCU transfer Shawn Robinson has solidified the QB position in the short and intermediate term. A class that was ranked in the 60's at the beginning of the season is now a top 20-30 class factoring in transfers.

Hamas' Crystal Ball: 8-4; 4-4 in the SEC (wins vs. Ark, Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky)
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:08 AM 10-21-2018
Billay is pining for a,MU level program. How damn far has Corn fallen??
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:30 AM 10-21-2018
One thing is clear, Lock has had some quality coaching through the years!!! :-)
[Reply]
Archie Bunker 11:41 AM 10-21-2018

Report here that Kelly Bryant expected to visit Missouri. He was at Arkansas yesterday https://t.co/fcakvUsMZe

— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 21, 2018

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:45 AM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker:
Odom's job likely depends on getting this dude.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:47 AM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by nychief:
Explain this, please.
Coaches who are about to get fired dont win games 65-0
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:57 AM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker:
We should have Bill Self slip him Twenty Grand under the table...
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:42 PM 10-25-2018
Mizzou fans thank you you've always been cool in this thread when I talk about Missouri in state recruiting. Living in the same state as most of you guys I'm amazed we have so much talent.

Today I read an article about Ronnie Perkins the kid from STL plays at OU. He flirted with my team alot in recruiting obviously didnt get him. Did we ever come to a conclusion as to why all these talented kids never get grabbed up by Mizzou? I dont even think Lincoln Riley I'd thst good of a coach just has all the talent. From a hypothetical standpoint let's say Mizzou keeps MOST of that talent in state even with Odom that's a consistent top 10 program is it not?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:43 PM 10-25-2018
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Mizzou fans thank you you've always been cool in this thread when I talk about Missouri in state recruiting. Living in the same state as most of you guys I'm amazed we have so much talent.

Today I read an article about Ronnie Perkins the kid from STL plays at OU. He flirted with my team alot in recruiting obviously didnt get him. Did we ever come to a conclusion as to why all these talented kids never get grabbed up by Mizzou? I dont even think Lincoln Riley I'd thst good of a coach just has all the talent. From a hypothetical standpoint let's say Mizzou keeps MOST of that talent in state even with Odom that's a consistent top 10 program is it not?

Because most of the top talent is from St. Louis. That leads to two issues:

1) Mizzou’s “racist” reputation in St. Louis (its a thing)

2) General St. Louis mentality. St. Louisians see themselves as city natives first and Missourians second. Not a lot of state pride there.

Many people in St Louis think they’re too big time for “settling” for Mizzou.

Pinkel did a great job in St. Louis over time. Odom has a long way to go.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:35 PM 10-25-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Because most of the top talent is from St. Louis. That leads to two issues:

1) Mizzou’s “racist” reputation in St. Louis (its a thing)

2) General St. Louis mentality. St. Louisians see themselves as city natives first and Missourians second. Not a lot of state pride there.

Many people in St Louis think they’re too big time for “settling” for Mizzou.

Pinkel did a great job in St. Louis over time. Odom has a long way to go.
Can you expand on the St. Louis/Mizzou racist thing? First I've heard of this.

God what a shithole St.Louis is. The city itself is in shambles and from what you tell me this mentality is ****ed. You wont go play for a local school that sends kids to the NFL but you'll trust them with Urban ****ing Meyer
[Reply]
Valiant 10:55 PM 10-25-2018

It doesnt keep the talent because the coaches and mu is constantly a bottom spender. Get those under armour guys to do what nike did at mu, increase spending and a quality coach. You will at least win the division every year and if lucky knock out alabama or lsu once a decade in the sec championship game.
There is a lot of great talent here.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:36 AM 10-26-2018

God what a shithole St.Louis is. The city itself is in shambles and from what you tell me this mentality is ****ed. You wont go play for a local school that sends kids to the NFL but you'll trust them with Urban ****ing Meyer
Norm Stewart.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:46 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Norm Stewart.
And the hell of it is, I don't think Norm is even truly racist. I do think he's an asshole (his 'don't you know who I am' sort of exploits around Columbia are well known) and I think he was a dinosaur, but I don't think he was racist.

He simply preferred those types of unskilled, 'rugged' players that STL wasn't really producing at the time. And yeah, most of those guys tended to be white predominantly because they simply didn't have the tools to play above the rim.

But I don't think Norm would've had any problem bringing on black guys with that kind of skill-set. If you can throw 100 mph, you throw 100 and worry about command/breaking pitches as you mature. If you're a 17 yr old kid that can jump out of the gym and attack the rim whenever you feel like it, taking charges and making the extra pass just isn't something you worry about until later.

Norm (foolishly) preferred the latter style of player so in recruiting guys that DID take charges and set screens, he ended up focusing on dudes that had to do that sort of stuff to make themselves impactful. I.E. a slew of unathletic white dudes.

But ultimately he kinda treated everyone like shit. So when you combine his general disdain for humanity with his insistence that basketball stopped evolving when they installed nets instead of peach baskets, he came across as racist. Personally, I think he was just an archaic dickhead.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:53 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And the hell of it is, I don't think Norm is even truly racist. I do think he's an asshole (his 'don't you know who I am' sort of exploits around Columbia are well known) and I think he was a dinosaur, but I don't think he was racist.

He simply preferred those types of unskilled, 'rugged' players that STL wasn't really producing at the time. And yeah, most of those guys tended to be white predominantly because they simply didn't have the tools to play above the rim.

But I don't think Norm would've had any problem bringing on black guys with that kind of skill-set. If you can throw 100 mph, you throw 100 and worry about command/breaking pitches as you mature. If you're a 17 yr old kid that can jump out of the gym and attack the rim whenever you feel like it, taking charges and making the extra pass just isn't something you worry about until later.

Norm (foolishly) preferred the latter style of player so in recruiting guys that DID take charges and set screens, he ended up focusing on dudes that had to do that sort of stuff to make themselves impactful. I.E. a slew of unathletic white dudes.

But ultimately he kinda treated everyone like shit. So when you combine his general disdain for humanity with his insistence that basketball stopped evolving when they installed nets instead of peach baskets, he came across as racist. Personally, I think he was just an archaic dickhead.
I agree. He had no problem recruiting Detroit well, but when you don't get a guy from St. Louis city in the last 25+ years of your coaching career, it doesn't do a lot for your reputation in the biggest city and talent pool in the state.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:00 AM 10-26-2018

People of color from the traditionally black neighborhoods of St. Louis have a tough relationship with the West and South county suburbs of their own cities. There are huge racism issues in St. Louis because it is perhaps the greatest example of white flight in the Midwest. The whole city vs. county dynamic is horrible in St. Louis.

And I get it.

If I’m a person of color living in Florissant who saw my in-City suburb become a total POS because all the white folks fled to the counties when schools desegregated, and that tax revenue/stable family dynamic fled with them to an area where it isn’t used for anything but the county, that would be a tough pill to swallow and just get along as neighbors and residents of the same city.

That carries over to Mizzou impressions. Because in addition to all the suburban kids from St. Louis who go there, you also have a large percentage of rural kids who grew up in extremely homogeneous communities going there, and there are tensions there, too.

Norm Stewart’s reputation also is a factor. He was the face of Mizzou for a long time, and was extremely disliked in St. Louis City.

And yes, the mentality is bullshit. For every Ezekiel Elliott who goes out of state and blows up, there are a dozen or more kids who went out of state to be “bigger than Mizzou” and get screwed over/recruited over in ways that wouldn’t happen at the home state school.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:01 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Norm Stewart.
He always struck me as a dickhead but its surprising that a guy who hasnt coached in 20 years would still have that much of an impact especially on another sport that's coming off it's best decade in the schools history.
[Reply]
Page 42 of 103
« First < 323839404142 434445465292 > Last »
Up