ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 335
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Thread
BigRedChief 08:29 PM 01-08-2015
Feel free to discuss any future speculation, theories. Anything from the books is fair game to post. Everything that has been broadcast on TV or from HBO. No spoilers needed.

1. If you watched or know the events that will take place in a unaired episode that has not been broadcast on HBO, you must put all the information and comments in a spoiler tag.
  2. Do not post any media of any kind involving actual content from unaired episodes without being in a spoiler. The only exception to the spoiler rule is content publicly posted from HBO and or the GOT actor themselves. Teasers, promos, trailers etc.

Any person unable to follow the spoiler rules will be banned from this thread. 14 days for first offense. Perm banned from the thread for a 2nd offense.

[Reply]
Amnorix 08:03 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Tough shit. I didn't think they'd be able to go through with it...

Also, the dragons may not be as effective as I originally thought. Maybe when they're larger or if they decided to stay airborne. Otherwise, they're certainly not ready for war.

I'm thinking/hoping they are basically juveniles. Otherwise, forget it. A bunch of untrained "harpys" managed to hurt Drogon somewhat.

Meanwhile, WTF with the Unsullied? Massively overrated.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:05 AM 06-08-2015
[QUOTE=Amnorix;11538570]I'm thinking/hoping they are basically juveniles. Otherwise, forget it. A bunch of untrained "harpys" managed to hurt Drogon somewhat.

Meanwhile, WTF with the Unsullied? Massively overrated.[/QUOTE]

Just complete horsecrap from the TV show. Book Unsullied are elite bad a$$ MoFo's.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:35 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I'm thinking/hoping they are basically juveniles. Otherwise, forget it. A bunch of untrained "harpys" managed to hurt Drogon somewhat.

Meanwhile, WTF with the Unsullied? Massively overrated.
I think part of the issue with the Unsullied is that they're being asked to do something they: 1) Weren't trained to do; 2) Are completely unequipped to.

Fighting in phalanx formation - what the Unusllied are bad-asses at - is very different than street-to-street patrolling and guard duty. And fighting with a spear in tight spaces is not advisable, especially when you're 1x1 with your enemies and don't have shieldmen to your left and right to guard your flank.

Drogon getting hurt comes to him being: 1) Still juvenile/small; 2) Being in a confined space on the ground, with no cover and 360 degree threats.

Thought it was a nice touch to have Dany close her eyes right before Drogon appeared... made it more like a summoning and less like a completely random occurrence.

I think we're also going to end up seeing that one of the reasons Dany can't control Viserion and Rhaegal is that she has "imprinted" with Drogon. The other two need to be claimed by their riders... that is what will allow them to be controlled (Not some ridiculous horn).
[Reply]
tomahawk kid 08:43 AM 06-08-2015
I hope Arya gives Meryn Trant a slow, painful death.
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:49 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by tomahawk kid:
I don't remember where they crossed paths before. Was it just in King's Landing? Or did she just recognize him as being one of the King's Guards?
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 08:51 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I don't believe the shows writers just threw that in for the fun of it. I am guessing it was something integral to the plot that GRRM told them about.
My thoughts exactly. There has to be an end game for that choice. Much like Theon being forced to watch Sansa and Ramsay was needed to set up his eventual desire to betray Ramsay.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 08:56 AM 06-08-2015
I don't remember where they crossed paths before. Was it just in King's Landing? Or did she just recognize him as being one of the King's Guards?
He is one of the names on her list for killing Syrio. I have a feeling this is how they will spin the 'Arya is still Arya, not a faceless assassin' angle. Her abandoning what she was sent to do to pursue her own desires will be an issue. The skinny man will probably do something that could have been avoided had Arya done as she was told.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:57 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by tomahawk kid:
Read the teaser chapter for WoW for a preview....
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:58 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
He is one of the names on her list for killing Syrio. I have a feeling this is how they will spin the 'Arya is still Arya, not a faceless assassin' angle. Her abandoning what she was sent to do to pursue her own desires will be an issue. The skinny man will probably do something that could have been avoided had Arya done as she was told.
It is starting to come back to me a little bit.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 08:59 AM 06-08-2015
He was the guard that killed her sword teacher, Syrio Forel, back when the Lannisters take down all the Starks Kings Landing.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:00 AM 06-08-2015
As far as jaw dropping episodes go....it was kind of meh.

Hopefully they have Sansa kill either Theon or Ramsay next episode. She still has that small weapon that she picked up when she was walking with Ramsay a couple of episodes ago.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:03 AM 06-08-2015

[Reply]
Amnorix 09:04 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Just complete horsecrap from the TV show. Book Unsullied are elite bad a$$ MoFo's.

Yeah, I know. Very annoying that they are basically "somewhat better" than the untrained mob that are the harpies.
[Reply]
Amnorix 09:07 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think part of the issue with the Unsullied is that they're being asked to do something they: 1) Weren't trained to do; 2) Are completely unequipped to.
I agree with this, philosophically.

Originally Posted by :
Fighting in phalanx formation - what the Unusllied are bad-asses at - is very different than street-to-street patrolling and guard duty. And fighting with a spear in tight spaces is not advisable, especially when you're 1x1 with your enemies and don't have shieldmen to your left and right to guard your flank.
Yes, and yet when they had the perfect opportunity to do that -- in an alley with harpies on both sides -- they failured to form a shield/spear wall and instead got fucked up, with Selmy dead and Grey Worm seriously wounded. Ugh.

Oh, and why don't they have short swords? They spent 10 years training with NOTHING but spears? Really...? Polearms are great, but they aren't exactly the most versatile.

Originally Posted by :
Thought it was a nice touch to have Dany close her eyes right before Drogon appeared... made it more like a summoning and less like a completely random occurrence.
Which raises the question, doesn't it? Can she warg? Can she summon? How was Drogon so close? Doubt we'll get answers to any of these soon.

Originally Posted by :
I think we're also going to end up seeing that one of the reasons Dany can't control Viserion and Rhaegal is that she has "imprinted" with Drogon. The other two need to be claimed by their riders... that is what will allow them to be controlled (Not some ridiculous horn).
Makes sense, though her "control" of Drogon until last night was anything but, and Drogon took long enough to recognize her in the midst of the action.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:26 AM 06-08-2015
I agree with this, philosophically.

Yes, and yet when they had the perfect opportunity to do that -- in an alley with harpies on both sides -- they failured to form a shield/spear wall and instead got fucked up, with Selmy dead and Grey Worm seriously wounded. Ugh.
To reference the Dungeons and Dragons comment from last week... I would refer to this as "Poor DM-ing." The "DMs" of the show (the writers) are pulling their badasses' punches. I agree that the alley fight should have gone very differently: Three-wide, three deep shield wall with the inner ranks back-to-back would have taken care of that in short order, no matter the numbers of the Sons of the Harpy.

Oh, and why don't they have short swords? They spent 10 years training with NOTHING but spears? Really...? Polearms are great, but they aren't exactly the most versatile.
See my comment above - bad DMing. The Unsullied are the first spear-based soldiers in history to be equipped only with spears. Martin doesn't get very detailed with their equipment in the books (only mentioning that they are spear masters). The show writers boffed this detail, I think.

Which raises the question, doesn't it? Can she warg? Can she summon? How was Drogon so close? Doubt we'll get answers to any of these soon.
Drogon being close is convenient, but I can buy him being attracted by the crowd/noise/etc.

I don't know if she can warg or if that's what they were implying (it seems unlikely she can, since warging is a gift of the First Men, who really only are strong in the Northern houses these days, and there is no Northern blood in Dany, as far as we know). But if you read the Dance of Dragons or other things about the Targaryens and dragons, a few things become apparent. First: 1 rider for 1 dragon (there are no examples of a Targ having multiple mounts at the same time). Second, they were never in complete control of them, dragons being dragons and all. But there's some sort of rider-mount thing going on there.

Makes sense, though her "control" of Drogon until last night was anything but, and Drogon took long enough to recognize her in the midst of the action.
Part of that is boldness and respect, it seems. Only the strong-willed and bold were able to claim dragons in Martin's backstories. Dany has been kind of wimping around that sort of thing.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 335
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Up