ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 48
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Media Center>Time again for a new phone
Dartgod 08:28 PM 07-14-2013
So I'm eligible to upgrade my cell phone again August 1st. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2 through Sprint and was ready to get the S4. Now I see that LG is set to release their Optimus G2 sometime in August.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/09/lg-optimus-g2-leak/

I've never considered LG, but I'm intrigued by what I've read.

Has anyone else looked at this and is it worth waiting another month or so for the LG?

Also, does anyone in the KC area have any experience with Sprint's LTE 4G? Is coverage still spotty?
[Reply]
DaFace 03:57 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by Mojo Rising:
Congrats! Let me know your feedback in the next couple days. I am likely 1-2 weeks behind you.
To answer this, it's definitely a nice UI improvement. Everything is very fluid and "buttery". I really like the way the notifications work now in particular.

Battery life seems about the same to me. My phone actually drained a little quicker today than usual, but that's probably partly because I've been playing with it a lot.
[Reply]
kcxiv 05:17 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I've been pleasantly surprised with the battery life on my G3. Of course, I came from a S3 that lasted half a day with heavy use, so there was nowhere to go but up.
yeah its not bad, it only really gets drained when you go to video or send pictures through texts. Plus once you shut off all the shit in the background it goes a little longer.

I love my G3.
[Reply]
kcxiv 05:19 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Apple has a very small set of phones they have to make sure everything works for. Google has thousands.

Aside from that, they roll it out slowly so that they can watch for major bugs and catch them before they hit mainstream. See Apple's recent problems with rolling out iOS 8.
you would at least expect them to get the flagship phones out fast. The note 3-4, Galaxy S4-5 The G2-G3 ect ect. Then the rest of their bargain basement phones.

Anyways, im sure i could figure out flashing it, but i dont want to fucking play trial and error. If i had an older Android i would attempt it!
[Reply]
DaFace 06:55 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja:
you would at least expect them to get the flagship phones out fast. The note 3-4, Galaxy S4-5 The G2-G3 ect ect. Then the rest of their bargain basement phones.

Anyways, im sure i could figure out flashing it, but i dont want to fucking play trial and error. If i had an older Android i would attempt it!
The issue is that those aren't Google's flagship phones - they're Samsung's. Google will have all the Nexus devices updated in the next week or two, but it takes Samsung time to go in and add all of their tweaks on top of the core OS.

So in short, it's Samsung's fault for changing so much stuff - not Google's. It's part of why Google is pushing back on the manufacturers so hard to stop changing shit and just stick with the stock OS as much as possible.
[Reply]
Mojo Rising 07:37 PM 11-13-2014
To answer this, it's definitely a nice UI improvement. Everything is very fluid and "buttery". I really like the way the notifications work now in particular.

Battery life seems about the same to me. My phone actually drained a little quicker today than usual, but that's probably partly because I've been playing with it a lot.
Good. Maybe I can stop using Lightflow and Notifyme for LED control and pop up notifications. I have read that the new texting app is better than Hangouts. Does the mail app unify mail accounts? I have an Outlook and Gmail app currently for each of my email accounts.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:19 PM 11-13-2014
Good. Maybe I can stop using Lightflow and Notifyme for LED control and pop up notifications. I have read that the new texting app is better than Hangouts. Does the mail app unify mail accounts? I have an Outlook and Gmail app currently for each of my email accounts.
Yes, gmail 5 app supports outlook.com email. You don't need Android 5 for it. You can download the apk from apkmirror.com
[Reply]
kcxiv 10:04 PM 11-13-2014
The issue is that those aren't Google's flagship phones - they're Samsung's. Google will have all the Nexus devices updated in the next week or two, but it takes Samsung time to go in and add all of their tweaks on top of the core OS.

So in short, it's Samsung's fault for changing so much stuff - not Google's. It's part of why Google is pushing back on the manufacturers so hard to stop changing shit and just stick with the stock OS as much as possible.
ahh, well i have the LG G3 and there isnt many tweaks in the OS i dont think, there is only one power button in the back and the volume, the rest is all done on screen. Hopefully, the G3 gets out fast.
[Reply]
Mojo Rising 11:05 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja:
ahh, well i have the LG G3 and there isnt many tweaks in the OS i dont think, there is only one power button in the back and the volume, the rest is all done on screen. Hopefully, the G3 gets out fast.
I think by overlays that the manufacturer adds, he is talking about the screen operations. LG adds things to the operations of the phone then the carrier adds more. So, before those phones can get the latest update, LG has to update their software and the carrier has to update theirs.

The Nexus phones do not have the "bloatware" from the carrier and the manufacturer so they get the updates 1st.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:13 PM 11-13-2014
I think by overlays that the manufacturer adds, he is talking about the screen operations. LG adds things to the operations of the phone then the carrier adds more. So, before those phones can get the latest update, LG has to update their software and the carrier has to update theirs.

The Nexus phones do not have the "bloatware" from the carrier and the manufacturer so they get the updates 1st.
Yep. With the Nexus phones, the updates come directly for Google, where as with a Galaxy S5 on Verizon, the update comes from Google, then gets modified with Samsung's tweaks, then gets modified by Verizon's tweaks, then get rolled out to the consumer.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 07:30 AM 11-14-2014
It shouldn't be that long for Samsung to have their 5.0 update version out if not already done, they've had it for a while, and leaks of Touchwiz Lollipop have popped up on the internet here and there.

The biggest difference between release date and delays is the individual carriers, tweaking it again and then having to test it before they finally release it.

Verizon and AT&T being the slowest historically at making major updates available for their phones. T-Mobile and Sprint typically go neck and neck with 1st available to update on a phone by phone basis.
[Reply]
MTG#10 10:54 AM 11-14-2014
Ive had my Verizon LG G3 for almost 24 hours now and Im ready to go back to my Note 2. This thing sucks ass. Laggy as hell, gets way too warm, and why they decided to put the buttons on the bottom of the screen wasting screen space when their is plenty of room under the screen is mind boggling. Should have went with the Note 4.
[Reply]
kcxiv 03:41 PM 11-14-2014
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Ive had my Verizon LG G3 for almost 24 hours now and Im ready to go back to my Note 2. This thing sucks ass. Laggy as hell, gets way too warm, and why they decided to put the buttons on the bottom of the screen wasting screen space when their is plenty of room under the screen is mind boggling. Should have went with the Note 4.
my LG G3 doesnt have any lag. It works like a champ. I love this thing. One of the things i actually like and got the phone was because of the button in the back. Felt right when your using the phone to mess around with.

Anyways, i just got an update. Installing now.

*edit* not sure the update did anything noticeable. Maybe preparing for the big update
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 03:45 PM 11-14-2014
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Return it for the Note 3. The Note 4 doesn't seem like much of an upgrade.
[Reply]
Pablo 04:00 PM 11-14-2014
You can hide those home keys when you use certain apps. Mine are hidden when I use Chrome, I was annoyed by it as well.

I don't care about it being there the rest of the time though.
[Reply]
penguinz 04:05 PM 11-14-2014
Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave:
Return it for the Note 3. The Note 4 doesn't seem like much of an upgrade.
Why do you think this? Only thing that is the same as the 3 is the amount of RAM.

Faster processor. Better screen. Better build quality. Better camera. Pen has been improved.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 48
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Up