ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Kansas City prepares to roll out new recycling carts
KCUnited 08:48 AM 04-21-2023
One of the better entrepreneurial ideas I've seen is this guy around here fabricated a hydraulic lift system with a power washer setup in the back of his truck. Its fitted specifically for the city trash/recycle bins.

Dude sells monthly and quarterly subscriptions and just drives around the east valley power washing bins with the push of a couple buttons.

Its probably more successful out here where its hot most the year and bins get super gnarly smelling quick but he's rolling pretty hard with just a truck, a power washer and some ingenuity.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 09:12 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
One of the better entrepreneurial ideas I've seen is this guy around here fabricated a hydraulic lift system with a power washer setup in the back of his truck. Its fitted specifically for the city trash/recycle bins.

Dude sells monthly and quarterly subscriptions and just drives around the east valley power washing bins with the push of a couple buttons.

Its probably more successful out here where its hot most the year and bins get super gnarly smelling quick but he's rolling pretty hard with just a truck, a power washer and some ingenuity.
We get our bin cleaned every month. Same type of set-up. It costs us $12/month which is worth it to keep the trash bin from smelling like BEP's asshole the entire year.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:17 AM 04-21-2023

That's cool, I've used a power washer on mine a few times, but I'm lazy about it and it can get pretty nasty.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:29 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
That's cool, I've used a power washer on mine a few times, but I'm lazy about it and it can get pretty nasty.
When I bought this house I don't think the bins had ever been washed. It was over my gag threshold so I found a pro.

It's a pretty sweet setup. Figured it would be all nasty but the guy never even gets his hands wet. Just pulls a couple levers.

He also has a window cleaning subscription which is mostly a necessity after monsoon season out here. Its a pretty solid hustle he's got going as I see him all over the east valley.
[Reply]
scho63 12:12 PM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
New York City still set out bags.
Gotta keep those big rats well fed! :-)
[Reply]
crispystl 08:41 AM 04-21-2023
Here in Charlotte our recycle bins are black and the trash bins are green.
It's dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen. Seriously, who comes up with this shit?
[Reply]
srvy 08:56 AM 04-21-2023
KCMO isn't nearly as restrictive as Arizona yet. It's all going to the same place anyway:-)

Items you can recycle curbside:

Office paper, junk mail, newspapers (without plastic rain bag), phone books, catalogs and magazines
Manila folders
Advertising inserts
Brochures
Corrugated cardboard
Carrier stock (i.e. cardboard soft drink and beer cartons)
Chipboard (i.e. cereal and shoe boxes)
Paper/hardback books
Plastic bottles with a neck #1 and #2 (look for the number inside the chasing arrow symbol), such as water and soda bottles, milk jugs and detergent bottles. Lids may now be recycled, too.
Plastic containers #3 thru #7 (look for the number inside the chasing arrow symbol), such as yogurt and margarine/butter tub containers
Cardboard egg cartons
Pizza boxes (No food)
Shredded paper (in paper bags)
Drink cartons
Aluminum cans and other metal cans
Clamshells (Deli or salad bar containers)
Aseptic containers (milk, juice and vegetable cartons)
Clean aluminum foil and foil pans
Items you cannot recycle curbside:

Glass
Plastic bags
Styrofoam, including Styrofoam egg cartons
Motor oil bottles and other automotive product bottles
Containers for household hazardous material
Paper towels, tissues or napkins, plates or cups
Gift wrap
Photographs, blueprints and hanging file folders
Bags that contained pet food, fertilizer, charcoal or kitty litter
Metal pots
[Reply]
Kiimo 09:01 AM 04-21-2023
You all are complaining about recycling lol?

Eagerly awaiting the next thread complaining about not being able to smoke on airplanes like the good ol days. *plays Kenny Rogers on 8 track*
[Reply]
Kiimo 09:15 AM 04-21-2023
Here's a really good breakdown

[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:41 AM 04-21-2023
what I wonder is how much of it really gets recycled.

paper/cardboard. There is a point where it cant be recycled anymore.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:04 AM 04-21-2023
The other thing thats a bit annoying is our recycling program is one guy in a truck. Truck pulls up then it lifts and dumps.

So if you have one thing causing the lid on the bin to be open even just a little bit it throws off the lift system and stuff spills everywhere.

So they won't pick it up and will leave a warning sticker on your bin shaming your ass :-)

Since my wife buys nearly everything off Amazon I'm driving to the recycle center drop off every other weekend with an abundance of Amazon boxes since they won't all fit in my bin with the lid closed.

In Chicago, they'd take anything. You could have someone sideswipe the front bumper off your car, just throw it in your recycle bin and they'd take it. Probably because they're just dumping it all in some low income neighborhood anyway. So I racked up a few warning stickers for the first couple weeks I was out here.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:14 AM 04-21-2023
The other thing thats a bit annoying is our recycling program is one guy in a truck. Truck pulls up then it lifts and dumps.

So if you have one thing causing the lid on the bin to be open even just a little bit it throws off the lift system and stuff spills everywhere.

So they won't pick it up and will leave a warning sticker on your bin shaming your ass :-)

Since my wife buys nearly everything off Amazon I'm driving to the recycle center drop off every other weekend with an abundance of Amazon boxes since they won't all fit in my bin with the lid closed.

In Chicago, they'd take anything. You could have someone sideswipe the front bumper off your car, just throw it in your recycle bin and they'd take it. Probably because they're just dumping it all in some low income neighborhood anyway. So I racked up a few warning stickers for the first couple weeks I was out here.
:-)

Yeah, mine has a fill line that is often ignored, but I try cramming bottles and shit towards the bottom so they aren't laying on top of everything and roll off. I've heard that a time or two, plus paper and stuff that blows back into the yard.

I don't think we have shaming stickers though.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:31 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
:-)

Yeah, mine has a fill line that is often ignored, but I try cramming bottles and shit towards the bottom so they aren't laying on top of everything and roll off. I've heard that a time or two, plus paper and stuff that blows back into the yard.

I don't think we have shaming stickers though.
I totally get it. I think someone mentioned above its about communication or lack there of.

They changed the non-recyclable items list and no one knew about it.

The fill line, that's just being new to the area and probably my responsibility to look into.

LOL not one of my neighbors said a thing when I took out all our moving boxes and set them to the side of the recycle bin on the curb :-) Bet they were all peering out their windows just waiting for the truck to come by and shame my bin.

Now that I know the rules I stay in compliance.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:37 AM 04-21-2023
I always put glass & trash in my recycle ans they take it
[Reply]
Mecca 10:42 AM 04-21-2023
I honestly never understood why they didn't do the carts.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up