ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 15
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
DaneMcCloud 09:00 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
All I'm learning from this thread is to never meet your heroes. And that Dokken sucks it long and hard (huge George Lynch and Lynch Mob fan, though).
I met George backstage at Sandstone when Dokken opened for Judas Priest, somewhere around 1987ish? He was pretty cool but Jeff was super cool.

I ran into George's guitar tech at Andy Brauer's old shop in the Valley in 1992 while scouting places to live (I moved in January 1993) and a week after I returned to KC, Lynch Mob played at the Lone Star, so I had a few beers with him and George, which again, was pretty cool.

George and I have a bunch of mutual friends (Dave Friedman, Reinhold Bogner, Rob Dantonio - all awesome amp designers) and while I haven't seen him in years, everyone says he's still the same laid back dude.

FYI, one of George's daughters just had a baby with Richie Faulker, the guitarist that replaced KK Downing in Judas Priest.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:22 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I met George backstage at Sandstone when Dokken opened for Judas Priest, somewhere around 1987ish? He was pretty cool but Jeff was super cool.

I ran into George's guitar tech at Andy Brauer's old shop in the Valley in 1992 while scouting places to live (I moved in January 1993) and a week after I returned to KC, Lynch Mob played at the Lone Star, so I had a few beers with him and George, which again, was pretty cool.

George and I have a bunch of mutual friends (Dave Friedman, Reinhold Bogner, Rob Dantonio - all awesome amp designers) and while I haven't seen him in years, everyone says he's still the same laid back dude.

FYI, one of George's daughters just had a baby with Richie Faulker, the guitarist that replaced KK Downing in Judas Priest.
Richie Faulkner is awesome. Before he took the Priest gig, he spent some time gigging with Lauren Harris, the daughter of Maiden's Steve Harris.
[Reply]
patteeu 05:39 PM 08-03-2020
All I'm learning from this thread is to never meet your heroes. And that Dokken sucks it long and hard (huge George Lynch and Lynch Mob fan, though).
I kind of made it a personal rule not to go see the bands I liked 20+ years ago. Too much disappointment and they often want top dollar if they were big at one time.
[Reply]
Jenson71 06:42 PM 08-03-2020
I’ve learned about the band Dokken from this thread. I’d thought I’d listen to classic rock stations enough to at least get a knowledge of most of the Big bands of the 70s and 80s, but I hadn’t recognized them. I listened to a couple of their biggest songs on YouTube and realize why they’re not played much anymore.

Sorry to hear bad reviews of Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, and Springsteen (though in the case of Springsteen it seemed all about location).
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:41 PM 08-02-2020
Willi neslson was atrocious. Wish I'd not seen that.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:02 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Willi neslson was atrocious. Wish I'd not seen that.
He's been pretty bad for a long time. When he sings, he seems to quickly speak, not sing, each line of a song, then pause while the music catches up with a lost look on his face. He never exactly had a melodic singing voice anyway, but at least when he could carry a tune it was passable.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 03:16 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
He's been pretty bad for a long time. When he sings, he seems to quickly speak, not sing, each line of a song, then pause while the music catches up with a lost look on his face. He never exactly had a melodic singing voice anyway, but at least when he could carry a tune it was passable.
I know some people who saw Willie play an acoustic set at one of those smaller more intimate theaters and paid a hefty price. They said it was a great show.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:21 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
I know some people who saw Willie play an acoustic set at one of those smaller more intimate theaters and paid a hefty price. They said it was a great show.
I've never seen him live; I'm just judging him by performances I've seen on YouTube. And I haven't seen anything recent that was very good.

I'm sure he has good days and bad days; who doesn't? But it's also likely that true fans are willing to cut him some slack due to his age.
[Reply]
srvy 12:29 AM 08-03-2020
Stephen Stills solo late 70s early 80s I believe it was at Memorial Hall. CSN had completely split up and I had been a big fan of his. What I didnt know he was in a bad way drinking heavy and whatever else. He was 30 or more minutes late the opening act was horible and had to resort to playing songs over that had been played. When he appeared he was drunk on his ass and had a chair with a table next to it with a fifth of jack Black and a Beer on table. He sat down to his acoustic set and his voice was broken as hell and was missing choords. The crowd was already restless there were no applause to speak of after his song would finish. Then he started getting beligerant with the crowd cussing and sluring his speech. Finally he brought out his band who basically did his show while Stephan drunk sang his way through the minimum contractual time and they walked off to boo's. It was just sad, I guess it got so bad Crosby and Nash and Neil tried to intervene. Neil took him under his wing got him sober and they cut an album and toured a little as the Stills Young Band if I am remembering right. As far as I know Stills remains sober today but boy was that evening sad.
[Reply]
srvy 12:37 AM 08-03-2020
Any you oldsters like me remember a local KC folk singer named Danny Cox? He opened for acts in KC when they couldnt get anyone else he was that bad. He opened for Logins and Messina at Municpal it was horrible they never even lowered the lights for the guy and tryed to boo him off stage. Was the strangest concert as the Loggins and Messina came on and Blew everyone away with one of my top 5 concerts I ever saw.

PS: If I remember right the opening act was supposed to be Nitty Gritty Dirt Band which was a very good band to see and would have fit better with L&M than a folk singer.
[Reply]
cdcox 01:09 AM 08-03-2020
Paul Simon about 3 years ago. Really disappointing.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 01:20 AM 08-03-2020
Winger, fuck that guy! :-). “Dodges punch from Dane”
[Reply]
eDave 01:49 AM 08-03-2020
Not sure about regret but I saw The Verve 2008, imagining a lifetime show since I am such a fan. But it wasn't anything stellar at all and not tight.
I heard Winger ate 5 whole chickens/day.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:09 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Not sure about regret but I saw The Verve 2008, imagining a lifetime show since I am such a fan. But it wasn't anything stellar at all and not tight.
I heard Winger ate 5 whole chickens/day.
I saw Winger about four or five years ago. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. But he at least put forth a good amount of effort.
[Reply]
eDave 02:42 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I saw Winger about four or five years ago. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. But he at least put forth a good amount of effort.
I have to walk back my take on The Verve as I just watched the full video and it was outstanding. Not sure why I left with such a negative viewpoint. Heck, they even did Rolling People. Maybe it was the venue and the sound didn't carry well over the polo fields.

Nick McCabe is one who shaped my guitar style.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 15
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up