ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 20
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>FOX & MacFarlane's The Orville
kjwood75nro 08:20 PM 09-10-2017
No surprise Seth would be in a Star Trek ripoff (not homage).

Watch one of the Family Guy Star Wars episodes and tell me it's not just a reskinned version with Family Guy characters and a few references disguised as jokes.

If FOX wanted to do a true Star Trek spoof, they should've called the Robot Chicken people.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:20 PM 09-10-2017
I agree with the reviews. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Probably about 5 times in the first 20 minutes, I was expecting "here comes a MacFarlane joke!" followed by... nothing. Not even good plot-advancing dialogue. Just conversation. It was weird.

Also it's just... it's Seth trying to be cast in Star Trek. He loves it, and that's cool, but it seems to me like he's just living his fantasy by creating his own Star Trek. You've got the Remans from ST: Nemesis cast as the Klingon baddies. You've got Cassidy Yates from DS9. You've got Bashir's dad from DS9. I'm pretty sure the guy who played the stern one-gender con officer alien also once played a Jem Hadar from DS9. This show basically IS Star Trek with MacFarlane jokes, and sadly, not enough of them to make the premise sing the way he wants it to.

Sci-fi comedy isn't a popular genre for a reason. At least Red Dwarf never takes itself too seriously. This show teeters on being a legit drama half the time and nothing but Family Guy jokes the next.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:12 PM 09-10-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I agree with the reviews. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Probably about 5 times in the first 20 minutes, I was expecting "here comes a MacFarlane joke!" followed by... nothing. Not even good plot-advancing dialogue. Just conversation. It was weird.

Also it's just... it's Seth trying to be cast in Star Trek. He loves it, and that's cool, but it seems to me like he's just living his fantasy by creating his own Star Trek. You've got the Remans from ST: Nemesis cast as the Klingon baddies. You've got Cassidy Yates from DS9. You've got Bashir's dad from DS9. I'm pretty sure the guy who played the stern one-gender con officer alien also once played a Jem Hadar from DS9. This show basically IS Star Trek with MacFarlane jokes, and sadly, not enough of them to make the premise sing the way he wants it to.

Sci-fi comedy isn't a popular genre for a reason. At least Red Dwarf never takes itself too seriously. This show teeters on being a legit drama half the time and nothing but Family Guy jokes the next.
Damn.

I'm not even going to watch now

How disappointing.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:41 PM 09-10-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Damn.

How disappointing.
Approach it like you're living in a present-day society where StarTrek never existed, and you might enjoy it a lot more.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:41 PM 09-10-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Damn.

How disappointing.
I thought the Jem Hadar actor/character was funny.

Everything else... meh.

It DOES look pretty, though. I'll say that much.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:53 PM 09-10-2017
Damn I forgot to record this and wasn't home. :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:58 PM 09-10-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Damn I forgot to record this and wasn't home. :-)
Fox is streaming it. Your cable/sat credentials should give you access.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:01 PM 09-10-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Fox is streaming it. Your cable/sat credentials should give you access.
I'll watch it when I get home tomorrow.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 09:32 PM 09-10-2017
It was ok. Reviews seem about right, maybe a little harsh.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:39 PM 09-10-2017
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
It was ok. Reviews seem about right, maybe a little harsh.
I think that's to be expected. Seth is a talented guy who rubs critics the wrong way by making stuff that's not always that great in quality, but still is popular. And this is clearly an indulgence/reward of his ego for the money he's made the network.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 12:03 AM 09-11-2017
It's exactly what I expect from anything with Seth MacFarlane in it.

Family Guy humor, with Brian Griffin's voice, heavy on references, and extremely formulaic.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's definitely a predictable, mediocre thing.
[Reply]
notorious 06:33 AM 09-11-2017
I will try it again next week, but meh.
[Reply]
unlurking 08:55 AM 09-11-2017
I will definitely agree that it seems a bit lost. but I enjoyed it. Felt like Star Trek populated with normal Joes from down the street and some humor thrown in. Hopefully it gets a chance to find itself. I have certainly watched worse.
[Reply]
Chieficus 09:37 AM 09-11-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
I will definitely agree that it seems a bit lost. but I enjoyed it. Felt like Star Trek populated with normal Joes from down the street and some humor thrown in. Hopefully it gets a chance to find itself. I have certainly watched worse.
That was my feeling. It's not "must see tv", but I enjoyed it and had several laughs. I'll give it some more episodes, but it also has to improve to hook me longer.
[Reply]
007 09:05 AM 09-11-2017
rather boring to be honest.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 20
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up