ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 15
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tiger Woods
KC_Connection 07:16 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
Possibly, although your other examples play a team sport...99% of the coverage coming down the back nine was Tiger, even after he put himself out of contention and we were treated to slow mo breakdowns of his swing and commercials while he walked to his ball, and further commentary on his 'thinking' and strategy and how he's battling his innermost demons, blah de ****ing blah...

While that's happening one of the greatest finishes of the tournament is happening and it's an afterthought.

Examining Tigers rectum might draw viewers, but frankly, I watch the coverage to see the golf tournament. He was done after the bogey on 14. That should have been the end of his wall to wall coverage.
I'd rather watch Tiger Woods walk and talk to his caddie than watch most of those other guys in most circumstances and I consider myself a pretty big golf fan.
[Reply]
KCTitus 07:26 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I'd rather watch Tiger Woods walk and talk to his caddie than watch most of those other guys in most circumstances and I consider myself a pretty big golf fan.
Good for you...you're not a golf fan...but like I said, Tiger's presence brings all sorts of dumbshittery and dumbassery...I'll let you choose which you are.
[Reply]
Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12:18 PM 04-05-2018
God I hate being a Tiger fan. A little pressure/expectations on him and he wilts again. YE Yang killed him
[Reply]
crayzkirk 12:27 PM 04-05-2018
I had a problem with Tiger for a long time and then realized that he wasn't the problem... The problem is the media coverage. Just like Jack Nicolas, he could be in next to last place and the crews would be ignoring the leaders and focusing on Jack. I felt the same way about Jack. As soon as Tiger got healthy, it's all anyone talked about. If I were one of the other tour players, it would seem like this would really fire me up (assuming that you can get really fired up about golf).

I like seeing good golf; it doesn't matter who is playing. As far as the best that ever played, it's hard to top Nicolas because of his ability to make that late charge up the leader board. Tiger won most of his tournaments while out in front and watching the competition melt under the pressure.

Still a good excuse to take a nap. Even when the big tournaments are on.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:32 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
I had a problem with Tiger for a long time and then realized that he wasn't the problem... The problem is the media coverage. Just like Jack Nicolas, he could be in next to last place and the crews would be ignoring the leaders and focusing on Jack. I felt the same way about Jack. As soon as Tiger got healthy, it's all anyone talked about. If I were one of the other tour players, it would seem like this would really fire me up (assuming that you can get really fired up about golf).

I like seeing good golf; it doesn't matter who is playing. As far as the best that ever played, it's hard to top Nicolas because of his ability to make that late charge up the leader board. Tiger won most of his tournaments while out in front and watching the competition melt under the pressure.

Still a good excuse to take a nap. Even when the big tournaments are on.

Not sure you understand scoring in golf. Make a double bogey ? Guy in next group makes a birdie? That’s three shots. Suddenly. No lead in golf is safe. Tiger feels the pressure like anyone who picks up the driver on #1 tee.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 01:10 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
Not sure you understand scoring in golf. Make a double bogey ? Guy in next group makes a birdie? That’s three shots. Suddenly. No lead in golf is safe. Tiger feels the pressure like anyone who picks up the driver on #1 tee.
Yeah, I understand golf scoring. I also understand that certain players drive TV ratings and advertisers drive what is shown. My point is that if you aren't a fan of only Tiger or Jack (I was a Tom Watson fan), it's very frustrating for your player to get almost zero TV time when they are fighting for the lead and the popular player is lining up a double bogey and ten strokes out of it.

Dilly, Dilly...
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 02:20 PM 04-05-2018
Yeah, I understand golf scoring. I also understand that certain players drive TV ratings and advertisers drive what is shown. My point is that if you aren't a fan of only Tiger or Jack (I was a Tom Watson fan), it's very frustrating for your player to get almost zero TV time when they are fighting for the lead and the popular player is lining up a double bogey and ten strokes out of it.

Dilly, Dilly...

I am still a Watson fan.
[Reply]
otherstar 03:51 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
I am still a Watson fan.
Me too! I still think Nicklaus is the GOAT because you need to figure in the number of top 5 finishes Nicklaus had in Majors in his career.

Jack Nicklaus--note the sheer dominance from 1963-1981:

Tiger is great, but he does not come anywhere close to that level of dominance in Majors. Tiger only dominated like that from 1998-2009. Jack had a 9 year stretch where he only finished out of the top 10 in a Major five times, and only missed the cut in a Major once in that same time frame. Tiger never came close to that.
[Reply]
KCTitus 07:51 PM 04-05-2018
I had a problem with Tiger for a long time and then realized that he wasn't the problem... The problem is the media coverage.
Exactly. Too young to remember TV coverage with Jack, except for his run in the 85 Masters.

There has been no other player in the last 30 years where TV coverage literally fellated the player from start to finish and God have mercy if he's anywhere near the lead, then no one else is on the course even if there were others doing better.

I do remember a few tournaments where Tiger started to really drop and then there was a media blackout on his play...from every shot to nothing...it was funny to me.

Im glad Tiger is back and playing...I think it's great for golf and I feel good for him coming back from his injuries. I just hope that the coverage is not over the top at the Masters.
[Reply]
007 12:34 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
Exactly. Too young to remember TV coverage with Jack, except for his run in the 85 Masters.

There has been no other player in the last 30 years where TV coverage literally fellated the player from start to finish and God have mercy if he's anywhere near the lead, then no one else is on the course even if there were others doing better.

I do remember a few tournaments where Tiger started to really drop and then there was a media blackout on his play...from every shot to nothing...it was funny to me.

Im glad Tiger is back and playing...I think it's great for golf and I feel good for him coming back from his injuries. I just hope that the coverage is not over the top at the Masters.
Thats exactly why I got sick of him. He was basically the only person the networks would put a camera on. Annoying as hell.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 08:53 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by 007:
Thats exactly why I got sick of him. He was basically the only person the networks would put a camera on. Annoying as hell.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

While the shot making ability of Tiger was always amazing, he did play in an era where there was no real competition for him. Golf has become much more robotic, where players all have technically correct swings and not a lot of personality.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:27 PM 04-05-2018
Never been the same since Elin hit him in the face with a 9 iron.
[Reply]
eDave 03:41 PM 04-05-2018
I don't watch golf, unless Tiger is playing.
[Reply]
fan4ever 03:56 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
I don't watch golf, unless Tiger is playing.
Curious; what other sports do you limit to one athlete?
[Reply]
Rudy tossed tigger's salad 04:15 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
Curious; what other sports do you limit to one athlete?
I'm close to that way in Men's tennis. Doubt I'll watch much of the clay season with Federer out. May catch some of the young Americans or Kyrgios.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 15
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up