ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 58
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Breeland Speaks Thread*****
Dante84 06:08 PM 04-27-2018

Remember this guy? �� He’s headed to the Kansas City Chiefs. pic.twitter.com/H9Pqq8jPJS

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) April 28, 2018

Spoiler!

[Reply]
staylor26 02:29 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
He certainly doesn’t pass the eye test, but he’s had some decent pressures.

He’d be a solid rotational guy at this point. Maybe next year he can be a solid starter/contributor.
It really sucks that Tanoh didn’t play.

I was looking forward to seeing him and Speaks.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 02:29 PM 10-15-2018
He will be fine. He has violent hands and a lot of power. He will continue to improve and contribute. Better than KPass already.
[Reply]
chop 02:29 PM 10-15-2018
I'm not taking sides on this argument, but I recall a lot of people here wanted to run Tamba Hali out of town his first year also.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:42 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
He will be fine. He has violent hands and a lot of power. He will continue to improve and contribute. Better than KPass already.
This. His pass rush moves are getting better every game. He had decent bend and hand-use against the Pats.
[Reply]
O.city 02:43 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
He certainly doesn’t pass the eye test, but he’s had some decent pressures.

He’d be a solid rotational guy at this point. Maybe next year he can be a solid starter/contributor.
Yeah, we forget that he was a 2nd round pick. He's progressing about where and how you'd want.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:12 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by chop:
I'm not taking sides on this argument, but I recall a lot of people here wanted to run Tamba Hali out of town his first year also.
Tamba had 8 sacks and an INT his rookie season. He looked very promising.

He sucked the year after we traded Jarred Allen, he only had 3 sacks that season in 2008.

To put that in perspective he had 3.5 sacks in 2016 with no knees and only starting in 2 games.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 03:55 PM 10-15-2018
You recalled wrong.
[Reply]
Bump 03:58 PM 10-15-2018
He a good rookie year so I don't think so. I remember when we switched him to OLB when we switched to 3-4 and I remember people around here talking about how shitty he was going to be in that role and then he did great.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 04:00 PM 10-15-2018
Eh, the rookie made a mistake by trying not to make a mistake. Not unheard of. Unfortunately it was a costly one. Which usually is the best type of mistakes to learn from. You remember them.
[Reply]
MahiMike 04:06 PM 10-15-2018
I have a simple solution to this roughing the passer stuff. Train the guys to just either grab their passing arm or give them a bear hug until the whistle blows.

Remember "in the grasp"?
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:26 PM 10-15-2018
https://theathletic.com/591749/2018/...than-expected/

Originally Posted by :
Even with such optimism, Veach and Reid were also realistic about their top rookie. Speaks was expected to be a project, someone who could develop while not being a starter this season. A rookie’s trajectory, though, can deviate from the original plan.

Speaks’ snap count per game has steadily increased during the Chiefs’ impressive 5-1 start. Before Sunday, injuries in the previous two games to Dee Ford and Houston, the team’s top outside linebackers, accelerated Speaks’ progression and experience. Houston missed Sunday’s game because of a strained hamstring, and the Chiefs responded by playing Speaks on 76 of the defense’s 78 snaps against the Patriots.

If Speaks continues to have positive, improving results as the season moves along, it’ll be a good indication that Veach’s gamble will prove to be a valuable one.
Originally Posted by :
One difference between Ford and Speaks is that Ford didn’t make his first career start until his 26th game, during his second season. But Ford was confident in what he had already seen in Speaks before Sunday’s game.

“Breeland is ready,” Ford said before Friday’s practice. “This is a big stage for him, and he’s ready. Experience is your best teacher. You kind of figure it out as you go, and the important thing is to not try to make big plays. Let them come to you and do what you’ve been coached to do.”

Ford and Houston have been positive influences for Speaks, a benefit that their coach, Smith, enjoys watching during practices and games. But Smith also said Speaks must be his own man instead of an impressionist. Smith has stressed to Speaks to find the correct footwork, hand-placement techniques and rush patterns that work best for him to gain leverage over opposing tackles.

“Sometimes you get in trouble when you’ve got (Justin) and Dee next to one another,” Smith said of Speaks’ learning process. “He sees Dee, and he’s copying spinning (moves). But I see Breeland like Justin. He’s a power rusher. He’s strong. Use your long arms, use youd stab-and-swipe, your jerks. He’s still coming along and figuring out who he is and he’s getting a feel for it.”

When training camp began, Reid said with glee that Speaks had just one move to get around a tackle when rushing the passer, which is typical for a player who is coming into the league and changing positions. Since then, Speaks has been determined to not give up on plays when his opponent gains an advantage after the ball in snapped. Such effort allowed him to recover the fumble against the Jaguars and create a turnover against Brady.

Last week, Speaks said he has worked to polish a multitude of moves, going from relying on only one to having trust in three various moves.

He employed all three against the Patriots, using his physical gifts and the knowledge he has learned since joining the Chiefs in April. Speaks said he succeeded at times in making Brady and Co. uncomfortable, but didn’t enough in the Chiefs’ first loss of the season.

“It felt like I contributed,” he said. “We knew they were going to attack our weak points. They got a little on us on the run. But we feel like we’ll be back for them.”
He sounds like a good kid. Cautiously optimistic he'll develop into something.
[Reply]
New World Order 12:40 AM 10-16-2018
I think Speaks has played pretty well the past 2 games (despite the Brady gaffe).

He's beaten tackles and put pressure on the qb. The problem is he's so slow that when he does beat the tackle it takes too long to get to the qb.

I have trashed him but he's shown some flashes.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 12:59 AM 10-16-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
This. His pass rush moves are getting better every game. He had decent bend and hand-use against the Pats.
Made the comment during the game that he beats his guy frequently. He's just slow so it always looks like he's a step away from contact when he gets pushed outside. That said, he's winning his fair share of battles.

Also -- he seems to recover a lot of fumbles going all the way back to the original post (which still makes me laugh).
[Reply]
staylor26 02:44 PM 10-16-2018
Just saw he has an above average grade on PFF and is ther #64 edge rusher.

Must’ve had a pretty good grade this week.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:51 PM 10-16-2018
DE Kpass
DT Jones
DE Speaks
LOLB Ford
ILB DJ
ILBHitchens
ROLB Houston
RcB Scandrick
LCB Fuller
FS Berry
SS Sorensen

That should be a pressure package KC brings against playoff offenses.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 58
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Up