ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson in his prime?
Bruce Lee 264 62.56%
Mike Tyson 158 37.44%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll
Page 38 of 82
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Who Would Win in a Fight Between Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson?
rico 04:37 PM 03-17-2012
Alright Planeteers, I've been arguing on message boards with people about this off and on for a couple years now and I want to get CP's input on it. The question is this: Who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson in his prime? Let's hear it!
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:33 AM 10-16-2015
This is the first martial art thing that truly amazed me in a while

[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 07:36 AM 10-16-2015
hold my beer
[Reply]
Aries Walker 08:18 AM 10-16-2015
It's trick shooting. Impressive, but not superhuman.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 08:36 AM 10-16-2015
Rabblerouser and White Whale are each partially correct. Lee was in fact an accomplished martial artist, and Eastern disciplines are more complete than boxing as a martial art, due to the latter being constrained by its rules. In the hypothetical match-up, Tyson would have trouble countering moves by Lee that would be illegal in WBC-style boxing, because he would not trained against them. The same thing happened to, for example, Brock Lesnar when he transitioned to the MMA; he at first fell victim to submission holds against which he had no experience.

However, the fact that would swing the battle to Tyson's favor is that he was an athlete built to fight, while Lee was a showman whose main consideration was on appearance. Tyson was (in the late-80s, anyway) a physical specimen; he had three inches and 120 pounds on Lee, and he was known even among other world-class heavyweight boxers for being an impossibly hard hitter. Lee's only hope would be to use his feet and speed and Tyson was also a master at closing distance. Assuming that the battle was in a constrained area like a boxing ring, the match would probably be over in seconds.
[Reply]
alnorth 08:50 AM 10-16-2015
Don't remember when I voted in this poll, but I voted Tyson while knowing full well that people greatly overrate a boxer's ability in a street fight. In this case though, Lee wasn't really a fighter, and Tyson in his prime had enough weight and size on Lee to overpower him.

Put Tyson in his prime against a great MMA guy though, even someone a few weight classes down, and I don't think Tyson has much of a chance, maybe 5-10% that he's able to land a KO before they clinch.
[Reply]
rico 09:06 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by Aries Walker:
Rabblerouser and White Whale are each partially correct. Lee was in fact an accomplished martial artist, and Eastern disciplines are more complete than boxing as a martial art, due to the latter being constrained by its rules. In the hypothetical match-up, Tyson would have trouble countering moves by Lee that would be illegal in WBC-style boxing, because he would not trained against them. The same thing happened to, for example, Brock Lesnar when he transitioned to the MMA; he at first fell victim to submission holds against which he had no experience.

However, the fact that would swing the battle to Tyson's favor is that he was an athlete built to fight, while Lee was a showman whose main consideration was on appearance. Tyson was (in the late-80s, anyway) a physical specimen; he had three inches and 120 pounds on Lee, and he was known even among other world-class heavyweight boxers for being an impossibly hard hitter. Lee's only hope would be to use his feet and speed and Tyson was also a master at closing distance. Assuming that the battle was in a constrained area like a boxing ring, the match would probably be over in seconds.
This. 100% This.
[Reply]
rico 09:07 AM 10-16-2015
I love arguing about this. I am usually the one who bumps this thread, but not this time. I'm glad it got bumped.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:16 AM 10-16-2015
Can't hit what isn't there.

Lee would destroy him by a country mile.
[Reply]
rico 09:20 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Can't hit what isn't there.

Lee would destroy him by a country mile.
By running away from Tyson and into the country???
[Reply]
stevieray 09:22 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by rico:
:-)
[Reply]
Wildcat2005 09:22 AM 10-16-2015
lol I love discussions like this
You learn interesting things from the different sides

I love Bruce Lee and think he could beat the crap out of 95% of the population
Mike Tyson would be one of the exceptions I think

I could see a scenario where Lee could win, but it would involve catching Tyson with kicks
If you land a good shot to their thigh you can numb their leg and make it useless
If Lee was able to do that and slow Tyson down maybe he could get in some more kicks to the ribs and break a few

But Tyson I think just has too much of a size and strength advantage that it would be a longshot IMO for Lee to poke him without getting caught

If Lee was 6' 200lb then Lee in a landslide
But at like 140lb it would be too hard to handle Tyson's power
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:25 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by rico:
By going low and taking Tyson's feet from under him.

Tyson would be badly hurt and on his back within seconds.

Lee wouldn't have to be the 'athlete' that Tyson is - Jeet Kune Do is an intercepting style that turns the attacker into the attackee. It is designed to dispense with the opponent quickly and with an efficient minimum of physical exertion.

Tyson was a lumbering oaf compared to Lee, in their primes.
[Reply]
alnorth 09:28 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
By going low and taking Tyson's feet from under him.

Tyson would be badly hurt and on his back within seconds.

Lee wouldn't have to be the 'athlete' that Tyson is - Jeet Kune Do is an intercepting style that turns the attacker into the attackee. It is designed to dispense with the opponent quickly and with an efficient minimum of physical exertion.

Tyson was a lumbering oaf compared to Lee, in their primes.
What precisely do you mean by "going low"? Kicks?
[Reply]
fan4ever 09:31 AM 10-16-2015
What about in ping pong?

[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:38 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by alnorth:
What precisely do you mean by "going low"? Kicks?
Probably - it would depend on how Tyson came at Lee.

The thing about Jeet Kune Do is, there's no real "rules" or one "correct" way to go about turning an opponents energy back on to them.

If Tyson came up high (as he most certainly would), the most efficient way would probably be a kick to the knee, which would probably rip Tyson's kneecap off and tear ligaments and tendons while breaking bone...

GAME OVER
[Reply]
Page 38 of 82
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Up