ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 371 of 386
« First < 271321361367368369370371 372373374375381 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:06 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Pretty sure those dudes are ready to spin their game of thrones success into other highly paid jobs while the hype is still there. Probably felt at 10 seasons they might wear out their welcome and miss out on paydays.
They got the Star Wars trilogy. Thats why we didn't get a season 9 to help flush out the stories of season 7/8. They wanted out.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:07 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
They got the Star Wars trilogy. Thats why we didn't get a season 9 to help flush out the stories of season 7/8. They wanted out.
There ya go, they wanted out because they could spin it into bank.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:10 AM 05-23-2019
There ya go, they wanted out because they could spin it into bank.
They were already highly paid.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:13 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
They were already highly paid.
Yea but they can get more than that. Sure they were paid well for Game of Thrones but now they are getting that sweet Disney money.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:28 AM 05-23-2019
I'm sure the actors were happy to end it. Ten years would be a very, very long time to play one role.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:33 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I'm sure the actors were happy to end it. Ten years would be a very, very long time to play one role.
I think it depends on the actor, Emilia Clarke seemed to enjoy it and comes off as annoyed at the way it ended.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:57 AM 05-23-2019

Seems legit
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:20 AM 05-23-2019
What doesn't help soften the blow is listening to GRRM talk about how he wanted 10 seasons but how he lost and they wouldn't go past 7 (and 'season 8' really was just the back half of 7...).

I tell you, the more I watch GRRM and D&D both talk, the more convinced I am that he had basically nothing to do with the show after he quit writing for them following season 4. I'm not sure whether there was a falling-out or not (I suspect there was) but I think he's just too polite and/or professional to throw them under the bus for what they did to his IP once they ran out of book material. He'll start to say something then spin off. Which is good since it wouldn't really do anything positive for him and he's got a lot of work going with HBO.
I get that and largely don’t disagree. But it does point to some nice depth provided by the writers, who, if you believe the internet had none.

I will say though, that if you don’t think the ending is a GRRM type unfolding of events, I don’t know what to tell you.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 10:19 AM 05-23-2019

Seems legit
Just came to post this.

A: "She forgot about the Iron fleet?"
B: "Yes, she forgot about them and they killed a dragon."
A: "Oh, so did she destroy the fleet with the other dragon?"
B: "No. A dragon is no match for that many ships."
B: "In the next scene, she destroys the fleet in only a few minutes with the dragon."
A: "Wait a minute, you just said that wasn't possible."
B: "I forgot."

:-)
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 10:25 AM 05-23-2019
A: "It's going to be tough for the main characters to live through an attack like that."
B: "Actually, it's going to be super easy. Barely an inconvenience. Any time an important character gets swarmed, we're going to cut away from them and come back later to see that they're fine."
A: "Wait, so how do they survive?"
B: "By being off screen for a little bit."
A: "I guess that makes sense."
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:32 AM 05-23-2019
I agree. If not, they soon would be. Especially the cast and crew. And does anybody really want to see 55 year old Jaimie lannister swinging a sword? They probably had another season or 2 in them. But there's certainly a point where this could become enough of a chore for everyone that it sucks the energy out. It may have ended too soon but there are lots of big issues with ending it too late.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:35 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Just came to post this.

A: "She forgot about the Iron fleet?"
B: "Yes, she forgot about them and they killed a dragon."
A: "Oh, so did she destroy the fleet with the other dragon?"
B: "No. A dragon is no match for that many ships."
B: "In the next scene, she destroys the fleet in only a few minutes with the dragon."
A: "Wait a minute, you just said that wasn't possible."
B: "I forgot."

:-)
To be fair, it is reasonable after taking massive casualties (half the dragon force is massive) to retreat and regroup for a counterassault.

Which is what she did, and she adjusted her tactics.

I mean it was still hogshit and took me out of it, but it's not as out of line as the internet would like everyone to believe.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:50 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I will say though, that if you don’t think the ending is a GRRM type unfolding of events, I don’t know what to tell you.
Actually i would disagree strongly with that. Because of the simple fact that things didn't unfold at all. They just jumped from a to b to z. That was what I see as the problem with the entire season.

That is to say, I don't have much of a problem with the places where the people ended up, in theory. Where they are at the end could well be where GRRM leads them. The show just did a completely shit job getting them there...

GRRM likely will not. Assuming he does at all.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:19 PM 05-23-2019
Actually i would disagree strongly with that. Because of the simple fact that things didn't unfold at all. They just jumped from a to b to z. That was what I see as the problem with the entire season.

That is to say, I don't have much of a problem with the places where the people ended up, in theory. Where they are at the end could well be where GRRM leads them. The show just did a completely shit job getting them there...

GRRM likely will not. Assuming he does at all.
Like I said, I don’t know what to tell you. To argue that the characters haven’t advanced since Jon got resurrected is a bit over the top. Beyond that, though, the show was always going to have to pick up the pace. They went way over the top, I agree. I just feel compelled to push back against the D/D are the devil narrative. They’ve got problems, but largely the story hit a bunch of Martin-esque beats, hit a bunch of Martin-esque narratives, and ended in a Martin-esque manner. There are things to complain about and I’ve done it. But D/D aren’t the devil that many want to paint them as.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:46 PM 05-23-2019
Call it demonizing them if you want but I think it's fairly obvious looking back at seasons 5 through 8 than Dan and Dave just weren't up to the task of putting this show together without a blueprint provided by the books. They had some good individual moments and a few really good episodes that managed to make the sum look like more than the individual parts but all together the show's been on a downward slide for years, and it finally hit bottom on Sunday.

I actually can't wait to see the prequel series that's likely coming next year, with Martin executive producing.
[Reply]
Page 371 of 386
« First < 271321361367368369370371 372373374375381 > Last »
Up