ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 366 of 368
« First < 266316356362363364365366 367368 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 07:49 AM 06-06-2024
Always wondered how they'd protect the flaps.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:57 AM 06-06-2024
OMG I think that was a near successful landing, at least based on the telemetry. What a test!
[Reply]
Donger 08:00 AM 06-06-2024
Wow, amazing test. Closer and closer.
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 08:00 AM 06-06-2024
While RainMan pretends the Shuttle program is something other than defunct, the rest of us can appreciate some remarkable milestones from this flight. Both Booster and Ship have splashed down.

Not so crazy to think a Booster catch just may happen in the next flight test or two.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:03 AM 06-06-2024
Almost as important as the test itself: that shouldn't trigger a mishap investigation, so hopefully FAA approval won't be a holdup for the next one.
[Reply]
Donger 08:05 AM 06-06-2024
I wonder if they'll try to recover either vehicle? Super Heavy isn't that far off the coast. Lol
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 08:07 AM 06-06-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Almost as important as the test itself: that shouldn't trigger a mishap investigation, so hopefully FAA approval won't be a holdup for the next one.
At this point the licensing is increasingly streamlined. They’ll probably soon have approvals that cover multiple flight tests.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:37 AM 06-06-2024

Congratulations and a huge thank you to our extraordinary @SpaceX team!

Successful Super Heavy launch and landing, “orbital” ship (that’s one tough cookie!) entry, engine relight and splashdown. I hope you enjoyed the views, the music and see you back soon for our next flight!

— Gwynne Shotwell (@Gwynne_Shotwell) June 6, 2024

[Reply]
DaFace 08:39 AM 06-06-2024
That's not really accurate. You're aware NASA is paying for a lot of this, right? Starship will hopefully be a moon lander and, theoretically, Mars some day.
And NASA is excited, as expected.

Congratulations @SpaceX on Starship's successful test flight this morning! We are another step closer to returning humanity to the Moon through #Artemis—then looking onward to Mars. https://t.co/0NAouIpbxq

— Bill Nelson (@SenBillNelson) June 6, 2024

[Reply]
DaFace 09:09 AM 06-06-2024
Starliner docking is coming up in about an hour. It'll be on NASA's channels, though I'll admit that docking isn't exactly riveting to watch.

See these views of #Starliner from @Space_Station as commander Butch Wilmore and pilot @Astro_Suni approach for docking operations during the Crew Flight Test. pic.twitter.com/3K6s4AwMHD

— Boeing Space (@BoeingSpace) June 6, 2024

It sounds like they've had a couple more helium leaks, but the system is super redundant, so they're proceeding with the test as planned.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:15 AM 06-06-2024
That's not really accurate. You're aware NASA is paying for a lot of this, right? Starship will hopefully be a moon lander and, theoretically, Mars some day.
They''re experimenting. They're not exploring, at least not in a physical context. I'm not saying it's not valuable, but the designers of the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria weren't explorers.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:19 AM 06-06-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
They''re experimenting. They're not exploring, at least not in a physical context. I'm not saying it's not valuable, but the designers of the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria weren't explorers.
Are people on ISS explorers? How about space probes?
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:20 AM 06-06-2024
Are people on ISS explorers? How about space probes?
Probes are explorers. People on the ISS are workers.
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 09:22 AM 06-06-2024
Rain Man being autistic. The only part of this back and forth that adds up.

[Reply]
DaFace 09:27 AM 06-06-2024
Probes are explorers. People on the ISS are workers.
That seems extremely myopic to me. At worst, these kinds of tests are aimed at ENABLING exploration even if you want to be pedantic about what "exploration" entails.
[Reply]
Page 366 of 368
« First < 266316356362363364365366 367368 >
Up