ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 363 of 386
« First < 263313353359360361362363 364365366367373 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:32 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Oh, ****. I just remembered: why is Bronn the master of coin? Lol
Tyrell's held that last. He took over their spot in the scheme of things.
[Reply]
Bump 02:33 PM 05-20-2019
How much of a shithead is Bran anyway?

That mother****er can see the future. He knew what he was doing the whole time.

He could have easily gone to Daenerys and been like "Hey, check it out. When you leave here you're gonna get jumped. Rhaegal will get skewered and Missandei'll be taken and beheaded in front of you. Just.. be on the lookout for the Iron a Fleet in Blackwater".

Awesome, now Dany doesn't descend into Mad Queen territory. The kingdoms are taken with little loss of life and a just ruler sits on the throne.. but noooo. That little shit was angling for the throne the entire time.

No wonder he said he didn't want to be King in the North, he was thinking muuuch bigger.
Bran might have been able to see that Dany would get jumped and probably shrugged it off like "eh, those things shouldn't be able to penetrate dragonscale, it would have to be a precision shot in the eye, very low chance of that happening" But then the writers decided that the dragonscale was easy to penetrate.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:34 PM 05-20-2019
Arya was probably my biggest disappointment of the season. Yeah, she Jordan Kiss The Rim dunked on the NK from the 3 pt arch, which is obviously a big deal, but the Kill Cersei, kill the queen, stay out of my way, yadda yadda stuff only to get the "you don't want to be like me, kid" verbal noogie from The Hound and the character went limp.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:41 PM 05-20-2019
I guess I'm just confused as to what exactly Bran is capable of. It's definitelty seemed like he has some inkling as to shit that's gonna go down. What with giving Arya the Valyrian dagger (could have been a coincidence) and especially with the "why do you think I came all this way?" line.

But the real reason I feel like he probably can see the future is that Jojen was also a greenseer, albeit much less powerful than Bran, and that dude didn't ever shut the fuck up about stuff he was seeing and knew was gonna happen.
We all are.

For several years the rules of the Three Eyed Raven seemed pretty cut and dry. They can view the past and warg in the present but by any account they could not fundamentally alter the past (at least not intentionally; even the Hodor example doesn't really work because Bran becoming the 3 eyed raven didn't will it into existence; it had already occurred well before then) and damn sure couldn't see the future; not in the same sense they can the past anyway.

Yet here we are, with that silly "why do you think I came" line, a complete throwaway, seemingly tossing that whole equation into flux.

Jojen is an interesting comparison because Jojen (being a greenseer) doesn't really have control over what he sees - he's more of a prophecy conduit. Bran's ability to 'see' the future is the same. He had a few vague prophecies (the drowned bodies at Winterfell, the dragon over KL), but we can't really point to anything concrete.

Because seeing old nan 'drown' in a dream is clearly different from what he was able to do with the Three Eyed Raven where he could essentially drop himself any place in history and view it as though he was there. I don't think that's something he can do with the future.

But again - stupid line tossed in there with little regard as to where it fell in the universe of the story and its impact on same. Why? Because I'm pretty sure Benioff and Weiss care less about this series than its more ardent fans do at this point and they thought the line was clever so they used it.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:41 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Arya was probably my biggest disappointment of the season. Yeah, she Jordan Kiss The Rim dunked on the NK from the 3 pt arch, which is obviously a big deal, but the Kill Cersei, kill the queen, stay out of my way, yadda yadda stuff only to get the "you don't want to be like me, kid" verbal noogie from The Hound and the character went limp.
Has to be Jon for me.

I can understand wanting to steer clear of the hero trope, but I wanted more for him.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:42 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Tyrell's held that last. He took over their spot in the scheme of things.
Right. It just makes literally zero sense.

He should have been the master of arms or the crown's army's official general or some shit. He's just not qualified to stand in as a nation's accountant lol
[Reply]
kcpasco 02:44 PM 05-20-2019
The night king was the protagonist the entire time. That took guts for the writers to kill off the main hero mid season.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:47 PM 05-20-2019
Has to be Jon for me.

I can understand wanting to steer clear of the hero trope, but I wanted more for him.
It's not even the hero trope that bothers me. It's that they turned him into a sad puppy who just followed Dany around unconditionally.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:49 PM 05-20-2019
Has to be Jon for me.

I think he got exactly what he wanted.

I just hoped for a better path to get there than the seemingly broken husk ready to wander the forest.

I'm serious - literally the only thing they needed to do with him was simply have him own his actions and stand behind them. Then 'give up his crown to save his people' as Sam had said in the crypts.

It would've been a perfect outcome for him and for some very strange reason, they dodged it.

I really think the answer is somewhere buried in a message GRRM is trying to send in the story but I'm not sure what the message is. It almost has to have something to do with love and it's impact on people - a theme that is EVERYWHERE throughout this story when you start to look for it - but I haven't been able to suss it out yet or figure out why that message would be diminished through having him leave on his own terms.

Is Martin such a dour sonofabitch that he wants us to believe that ultimately love destroys anyone it infects? Cersei, Jaime, Grey Worm, Jon, Dany, Brienne, even Tyrion (with Shay and his family) -- all of them have situations where we can say that love fundamentally weakened or destroyed them. Did we need to rub salt in the wound by having it wreck Jon as well? Seems like the show thinks so. And what about Stannis - who chose duty (in his eyes) over love and STILL lost everything?

Or was it just a poor adaptation of Martin's outline from a couple of shoddy storytellers? Seems a simpler solution...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:51 PM 05-20-2019
Right. It just makes literally zero sense.

He should have been the master of arms or the crown's army's official general or some shit. He's just not qualified to stand in as a nation's accountant lol
Because theoretically he's gonna be the richest guy in the country now that Casterly Rock is out of gold; Highgarden will still have the agricultural wealth. So the theory would be that you're gonna need him giving you a lot of money, so why not task him with finding a lot of money?

I dunno...I agree that it's odd (given that Littlefinger was previous master of coin and had no land/title to speak of), but it's the best I've got.
[Reply]
Lprechaun 02:53 PM 05-20-2019
Still waiting on why the Maester took Tryion out of the book Sam helped write.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:59 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
Still waiting on why the Maester took Tryion out of the book Sam helped write.
Hah! That's another one! Totally forgot.

You fucking CANNOT tell this story without Tyrion. He was Hand of the King to Joffrey, Hand of the Queen to Daenerys, Hand of the King to Bran and killed the most powerful man in Westeros in Tywin. Not to mention his abduction is what kicked off the War of the Five Kings.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:09 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:

I finally realized where I've seen this character before:

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:12 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I finally realized where I've seen this character before:

That's completely unfair to Bran.

Bran was forgettable.

I wanted to see Walter Jr. killed week in, week out. "Man, maybe they'll finally get him this time...."

Ugh, just an awful, awful character and the series deserves to take more shit than it does because of him. He's as bad as Jar Jar and the Sand Snakes.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:23 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think he got exactly what he wanted.

I just hoped for a better path to get there than the seemingly broken husk ready to wander the forest.

I'm serious - literally the only thing they needed to do with him was simply have him own his actions and stand behind them. Then 'give up his crown to save his people' as Sam had said in the crypts.

It would've been a perfect outcome for him and for some very strange reason, they dodged it.

I really think the answer is somewhere buried in a message GRRM is trying to send in the story but I'm not sure what the message is. It almost has to have something to do with love and it's impact on people - a theme that is EVERYWHERE throughout this story when you start to look for it - but I haven't been able to suss it out yet or figure out why that message would be diminished through having him leave on his own terms.

Is Martin such a dour sonofabitch that he wants us to believe that ultimately love destroys anyone it infects? Cersei, Jaime, Grey Worm, Jon, Dany, Brienne, even Tyrion (with Shay and his family) -- all of them have situations where we can say that love fundamentally weakened or destroyed them. Did we need to rub salt in the wound by having it wreck Jon as well? Seems like the show thinks so. And what about Stannis - who chose duty (in his eyes) over love and STILL lost everything?

Or was it just a poor adaptation of Martin's outline from a couple of shoddy storytellers? Seems a simpler solution...
This is a fair point. I can admit that, for me, my disappointment is entirely personal. I wouldn't even argue that where they ended up with his story was bad; it's just not what I wanted.

I think I had just fallen into believing that he was the rightful king. He never wanted to be Lord Commander but did so anyway out of necessity. He never wanted to be King in the North but did so out of necessity.. I guess I had convinced myself something similar would happen with the Iron Throne.
[Reply]
Page 363 of 386
« First < 263313353359360361362363 364365366367373 > Last »
Up