ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 362 of 386
« First < 262312352358359360361362 363364365366372 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 01:03 PM 05-20-2019
Really was an epic show that I wish was given a bit more time for these endings. Some really cool shit happened along the way
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:03 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Even with the unsullied and dothraki gone,
So who is their army now?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 01:10 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Seems implied that they'd have to build a lot of things from the ground up. But several kingdoms have likely started to build armies. And brienne is lord commander of the kings guard. Seeing that they don't have a minister of war and that they avoided paths to war, they'll probably just enjoy a few years of peace for a change.
[Reply]
Amnorix 01:10 PM 05-20-2019

Same as it ever was, the troops of the houses that are loyal to them under the feudal system they operate under. Which means Bran has NO troops of his own, directly, as the North is not loyal to him at all, and he's not the leader of House Stark.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:21 PM 05-20-2019
Okay, I haven't read anything here or anywhere else about the finale, so these are my thoughts, unfiltered and unbiased by anything but my own viewing:

Peter Dinklage just won an Emmy. He was amazing the entire episode.

The visuals were motion picture quality, particularly under the keep. The music was great as always.

The scenes with Jon and Tyrion and Jon and Danaerys were extremely well done. I don't think Kit's had a better performance. The first half hour of the episode was fantastic. Right up until the point that Drogon melted the iron throne.

It should have ended there. God I wish it had ended there.

The sequence in the Dragonpit was one of the worst things I can remember.

One of the best parts of A Song of Ice and Fire is how Martin subverts traditional fantasy tropes. This is not how he's going to end the series, assuming he ever does. It's too neat, too happy. Every surviving Stark gets a happy ending. Everybody gets what they want, aside from Danaerys:

Jon's going back to the Wall.
Bran is king.
Sansa rules the free North.
Arya gets far away.
Grey Worm goes to protect Naarth in Missandei's name.
Ser Brienne leads the Kingsguard and finishes Jamie's entry.
Bronn's Master of Coin.
Grand Maester Sam and "A Song of Ice and Fire'...
Ser Podrick of the Kingsguard.
Jon finally treats Ghost like his direwolf.

This was fan service. Which is fine for the medium. Some of it was even cute. But it's disappointing that such an epic tale ends with such trite denouement.

I did like the intercut scenes with Jon, Arya and Sansa

But, seriously, a standard fantasy happy ending?

Hopefully someday Martin graces us with a satisfying ending.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 01:22 PM 05-20-2019
What would've been really cool is if Dany, Jon and all would've abandoned Winterfell, noticing what happened with Cersei's army not showing and Last Hearth getting rolled over, they should've all taken off South and gone around to the other side of King's Landing to force a final conflict at King's Landing where all three armies are waging war against one another and forcing Cersei's army to take the brunt. I know shoulda woulda coulda but I think just having one big, two episode battle, would've been better to be 4 and 5 and wrapped it up with 6. The amount of craziness from all angles would've been epic! Dany wouldn't have burned the entire city down, or maybe she would've but only to kill the Night Kings army in the streets. and stop the undead from spreading knowing the streets were lost. Avoid the evil Dany obviousness, just would've been much better.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:30 PM 05-20-2019
Looking towards the future, Westworld has been a better show than Game of Thrones for 2+ years already, and that promo looked fantastic. So there's that to look forward to. Also looking forward to whatever they do with Watchmen. And Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series is really good, so hopefully it translates better than the Golden Compass film from a few years ago.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 01:45 PM 05-20-2019
So its a de facto prison now....that Jon can just walk away from if he chooses? The Night's Watch had been destroyed...
It is Australia. You send your petty crooks, malcontents, bastards, and criminal higher nobles there. Your not so petty crooks get executed.

Jon is probably going to be a permanent ranger beyond the wall. It was the position he wanted when he joined the Nights Watch the first time. He will check in to Castle Black every once in a while. Probably searching to see if there is anybody alive beyond the wall.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:14 PM 05-20-2019
I think my biggest issue is that a lot of shit at the end there was just insanely nonsensical.

Are we really supposed to believe that the Dothraki and Unsullied didn't cut Jon down the instant they found out he killed Daenerys? The Unsullied have been free men since season 3 and the Dothraki only know death. All of these dudes followed Daenerys across a fucking continent for whatever reason. They find out some douche, who they have absolutely no love for, shived her in the throne room and.. throw him in a cell? Then let him go a month later. That would never happen, not in a million years.

Beyond that, they really glossed over Danny's death like a motherfucker. I mean, she gets shanked then they cut to the dragonpit scene (what a sad sack of shit Westerosi leadership has fallen to, by the way) with little mention of probably the second-most main character of the nearly-ten-year show. Unceremonious af.

Then there's the dragonpit scene itself. First of all, Bran? No. Fuck you. Second of all, why in the fuck would any of those other kingdoms agree to anything that was suggested? Ok, I'm the prince of Dorne or the Vale. Here's some crippled dude I've never seen and never even heard of.. but, yeah, he can be king. Sure, why not?

It made even less sense after Sansa declared that the North would remain independent "like they had for thousands of years". Ummm, did the dude in Dorne forget they were the ones who were truly independent? They were the only ones to resist the initial Targaryen conquest while that bitch up North, Torrhen Stark, knelt without a fight.

It just doesn't make much sense. Those kingdoms have little to no reason to join this coalition at this point. The country is in shambles. Why kneel and pay taxes to the crown when they can't offer you shit? The Vale and Dorne are likely the strongest forces on the continent now. I'd have told them to fuck off after the shit Sansa pulled.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:18 PM 05-20-2019
How much of a shithead is Bran anyway?

That motherfucker can see the future. He knew what he was doing the whole time.

He could have easily gone to Daenerys and been like "Hey, check it out. When you leave here you're gonna get jumped. Rhaegal will get skewered and Missandei'll be taken and beheaded in front of you. Just.. be on the lookout for the Iron a Fleet in Blackwater".

Awesome, now Dany doesn't descend into Mad Queen territory. The kingdoms are taken with little loss of life and a just ruler sits on the throne.. but noooo. That little shit was angling for the throne the entire time.

No wonder he said he didn't want to be King in the North, he was thinking muuuch bigger.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:21 PM 05-20-2019
Other than that, they did some things well.

I liked the shots of seeing King's Landing in ruins. Tyrion finding Jaime. The tension between Jon and Grey Worm (thought that might go somewhere bloody).

The breaking of the wheel was actually a pretty cool concept itself. It was just undermined entirely by Sansa declaring the North remain independent.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:22 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
How much of a shithead is Bran anyway?

That motherfucker can see the future. He knew what he was doing the whole time.

He could have easily gone to Daenerys and been like "Hey, check it out. When you leave here you're gonna get jumped. Rhaegal will get skewered and Missandei'll be taken and beheaded in front of you. Just.. be on the lookout for the Iron a Fleet in Blackwater".

Awesome, now Dany doesn't descend into Mad Queen territory. The kingdoms are taken with little loss of life and a just ruler sits on the throne.. but noooo. That little shit was angling for the throne the entire time.

No wonder he said he didn't want to be King in the North, he was thinking muuuch bigger.
But that's the thing - the previous treatment of the Three Eyed Raven (including Bran's version of him) COULDN'T see the future.

Again, he was essentially the most badass official historian anyone could ask for. He can see anything that's ever happened at any location, but he couldn't just go all Steven Strange and run through a million different possible futures.

Until they kinda maybe decided in the last episode that he...could? I don't really know what they were going for there. Like I said, I feel like that one stupid little line that was intended to play for a bit of a chuckle actually cheapened the entire story.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:23 PM 05-20-2019
Oh, fuck. I just remembered: why is Bronn the master of coin? Lol

And when did Arya become an explorer? 8 seasons we've been watching and this bitch has been on a ship for like 3 minutes total and now she's fucking Jacques Cousteau? Fuck that.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 02:27 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Oh, ****. I just remembered: why is Bronn the master of coin? Lol

And when did Arya become an explorer? 8 seasons we've been watching and this bitch has been on a ship for like 3 minutes total and now she's ****ing Jacques Cousteau? **** that.
She went to Braavos and back. Also, she isn't the captain just the person in charge of the expedition.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:29 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But that's the thing - the previous treatment of the Three Eyed Raven (including Bran's version of him) COULDN'T see the future.

Again, he was essentially the most badass official historian anyone could ask for. He can see anything that's ever happened at any location, but he couldn't just go all Steven Strange and run through a million different possible futures.

Until they kinda maybe decided in the last episode that he...could? I don't really know what they were going for there. Like I said, I feel like that one stupid little line that was intended to play for a bit of a chuckle actually cheapened the entire story.
I guess I'm just confused as to what exactly Bran is capable of. It's definitelty seemed like he has some inkling as to shit that's gonna go down. What with giving Arya the Valyrian dagger (could have been a coincidence) and especially with the "why do you think I came all this way?" line.

But the real reason I feel like he probably can see the future is that Jojen was also a greenseer, albeit much less powerful than Bran, and that dude didn't ever shut the fuck up about stuff he was seeing and knew was gonna happen.
[Reply]
Page 362 of 386
« First < 262312352358359360361362 363364365366372 > Last »
Up