ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 366
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***
BigRedChief 12:29 PM 03-17-2015
Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
[Reply]
lewdog 06:04 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
Yes id put money your rims are staggered, once you start playing with the tire size you mess with the side wall height and could end up with a funky looking setup. As for the dryrot, its tough you could drive for a long time and nothing or you could end up like this. Even with no rot Id not drive on a tire anywhere near that old.

This would be my luck

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx:
Dude! Get them replaced. You are gambling with those tires.
Ugh. I'd hate to drop more money on this car right now but I also don't want to risk a blowout either. I have the stock 17" rims and Pirelli's that my FIL brought down but I don't want to have to store those rims until these tires would wear out. Plus they are 10 years old too but less than a few thousand miles driven on them.

I guess if I did replace them I'd just get some size that's on there. It's probably make everything easier.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:06 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
Some do. Mine does.
Doesn't matter there is up to a $50,000 fine with using a jammer. Because of my job, I can't knowingly use a product that is illegal.

Radar detectors are worthless unless the tech has improved lately. By the time it shows radar, its too late.
[Reply]
Brock 06:09 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Doesn't matter there is up to a $50,000 fine with using a jammer. Because of my job, I can't knowingly use a product that is illegal.

Radar detectors are worthless unless the tech has improved lately. By the time it shows radar, its too late.
If you're on a road all alone, they're worthless. They're certainly not worthless on roads where there are any cars at all ahead of you.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:16 PM 04-21-2015
I would recommend replacement of those tires. Ten years is longer than I would drive on a tire that has just mostly sat. They get hard and crack then peel off and then you could look like the car posted above
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 06:19 PM 04-21-2015

They're legal in IA and Mo where I'll use it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:23 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Brock:
If you're on a road all alone, they're worthless. They're certainly not worthless on roads where there are any cars at all ahead of you.
Thanks for the info.

Don't they make these where I don't have to mount them on my dash? Big ugly thing on my new car's dashboard. Do those exist?
[Reply]
Brock 06:36 PM 04-21-2015
Thanks for the info.

Don't they make these where I don't have to mount them on my dash? Big ugly thing on my new car's dashboard. Do those exist?
The ones I've been seeing lately are tiny and are affixed to the windshield with suction cups.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 06:49 PM 04-21-2015
The ones I've been seeing lately are tiny and are affixed to the windshield with suction cups.
Are you talking about a laser jammer or a radar detector?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:50 PM 04-21-2015
Cool. Should be able to google and find the smaller ones.
[Reply]
KC native 06:52 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Ugh. I'd hate to drop more money on this car right now but I also don't want to risk a blowout either. I have the stock 17" rims and Pirelli's that my FIL brought down but I don't want to have to store those rims until these tires would wear out. Plus they are 10 years old too but less than a few thousand miles driven on them.

I guess if I did replace them I'd just get some size that's on there. It's probably make everything easier.
Replace them. Tires degrade over time even if you don't drive on them. You are on borrowed time with those.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 06:54 PM 04-21-2015
I assume you're talking about a radar detector and not a laser jammer. Please clarify.
[Reply]
KC native 06:56 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
I've got the K40 setup and honestly not impressed, got nailed over 140 in a place that *should* have given me warning.
How many heads do you have on the front of your car?
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 06:59 PM 04-21-2015
Here's a couple pics of my Passport Max2 radar detector. I installed it this weekend. It is hardwired to switched power and cleanly installed via a Blendmount.

The laser jammer is completely separate. I have three heads for the front and two for the rear.
Attached: FullSizeRender (1).jpg (51.8 KB) FullSizeRender (2).jpg (60.6 KB) 
[Reply]
KC native 07:03 PM 04-21-2015

Radar detectors still work. Most police departments use laser for revenue generation (speed enforcement).

The good radar detectors will pick up radar far away. If they pick up the laser, it's usually a courtesy notification that you will be getting pulled over and making a contribution to the general fund of that municpality.

Radar jammers are extremely illegal and will get you in a world of shit if you're caught with one (the FCC regulates them). Laser jammers/shifters are a state by state thing (mostly illegal) and are regulated by the FDA (IIRC) and won't get you in a world of shit if you are caught with them).
[Reply]
KC native 07:04 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
Here's a couple pics of my Passport Max2 radar detector. I installed it this weekend. It is hardwired to switched power and cleanly installed via a Blendmount.

The laser jammer is completely separate. I have three heads for the front and two for the rear.
I have a passport Xi or Ix (can't remember right now) and have it hard wired as well. Only thing that sucks about a mirror mount is that it makes it super hard for the detector to pick up laser hits.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 366
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136 > Last »
Up