ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 221
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:01 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by seclark:
http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/file...17_digital.pdf

nice article on gar fishing and making a lure out of rope. you'll have to page down for awhile.
sec
Thanx, nice article, i love the shot of the gar that guy landed, just a beautiful fish.

I'll definitely be trying out the frayed rope lure.
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:12 AM 04-06-2012
Ran a treble hook through my hand last night. Right through the skin above the knuckle. Buried that son of a bitch.

Had to push the sob through the other side and clip it off with a side cutters. Brand new lure, had caught 3 northerns off it right off the bat. Finger is a little sore today.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. Fucking pike.
[Reply]
loochy 08:19 AM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Ran a treble hook through my hand last night. Right through the skin above the knuckle. Buried that son of a bitch.

Had to push the sob through the other side and clip it off with a side cutters. Brand new lure, had caught 3 northerns off it right off the bat. Finger is a little sore today.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. Fucking pike.
How'd you manage that? Were you unhooking a catch?

I can't believe that I haven't done that before while lipping a largemouth. I'm always kind of scared of it because they will start flopping right when you least expect it.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 08:30 AM 04-06-2012

Had to push the sob through the other side and clip it off with a side cutters.
Wrap and yank method is more popular these days.

[Reply]
Sofa King 08:32 AM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by loochy:
How'd you manage that? Were you unhooking a catch?

I can't believe that I haven't done that before while lipping a largemouth. I'm always kind of scared of it because they will start flopping right when you least expect it.
Well. It was windy as hell here. I was in the open with an underpowered trolling motor. I was running the boat, and i hooked a 4 lb northern. My asshole brother netted the damn thing then dropped the net on the floor in the front. When i got the boat back to where it needed to be, i turned to the pike. He had rolled himself into a neat little ball with my #13 Original floating rapala in his mouth and the net. It took me forever to get that fucker outta there, and when i finally was close, he'd roll again. Well I had him at least unstuck from the net, and i was gonna pull him out to undo the hooks he had BURIED in past his gills, and the fucker rolled. BAM. Buried one straight into my knuckle all the way up to the curve of the treble.

Took a little while to get the balls to push it through, but by then it was pretty numb. I pushed it through and was able to clip it into pieces and finally pull it through.

Won't be doing that again.
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:33 AM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:

:-).

I went home and youtubed that right away, and that's the video that popped up.

My treble wasn't nearly as big so i just cut it out. It will be fine tomorrow most likely. Only mildy sore today.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:56 AM 04-06-2012
Is the Makers Mark a requirement to pull this off?
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:59 PM 04-07-2012

Yup, done the same thing myself. Works like a charm too, hook pops right out.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 05:01 PM 04-07-2012
Turtles were out in force last night, got tired of feeding them so I left. Out this early in the season they're probably going to be as thick as the ticks already are.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:32 PM 04-07-2012
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Turtles were out in force last night, got tired of feeding them so I left. Out this early in the season they're probably going to be as thick as the ticks already are.
Those bastards, i get fed up with'em all of the time, you're just throwing your bait away.

Its so bad at my local lake, they're basically trained to show up anytime they see people, they putter around in circles with their heads out of the water maybe 20-25 yards from you & as soon as the bait hits the water they go under, a few seconds later its bye-bye bait.
[Reply]
ZootedGranny 08:03 PM 04-07-2012
Just got back from a 2 day trip down to Truman with my dad.

Yesterday was brutal. The local reports said to hit coves and pockets with spinnerbaits and crankbaits, but we only ended up with 8 fish that might've weighed 4 pounds.

Today was much better. We went back to our wheelhouse, broke out the t-rigged worms, and ended up with 34 on the day, including a couple of 3 pounders, one four pounder, one five and a 3 pound Kentucky that fought like a 7 pound largemouth.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:46 PM 04-07-2012
Originally Posted by ZootedGranny:
Just got back from a 2 day trip down to Truman with my dad.

Yesterday was brutal. The local reports said to hit coves and pockets with spinnerbaits and crankbaits, but we only ended up with 8 fish that might've weighed 4 pounds.

Today was much better. We went back to our wheelhouse, broke out the t-rigged worms, and ended up with 34 on the day, including a couple of 3 pounders, one four pounder, one five and a 3 pound Kentucky that fought like a 7 pound largemouth.
Sounds awesome for a slow day, eight fish sounds fun enough to be worth it.

34 the next day is a bonanza... what is a t-rig worm, is that another way of saying wacky rig? and also, whats a Kentucky?
[Reply]
Sofa King 12:01 PM 04-09-2012

[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:06 PM 04-09-2012
I love turtles and reptiles in general. I also don't fish with anything they would be attracted to so I have never had any problems some of you are speaking of, and actually until now have never even heard of these types of issues with turtles.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 12:08 PM 04-09-2012
I was actually thinking something more like a Gammo Whisper in a .22 cal., something that wouldn’t get as much attention when I pop a shot off here or there.

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-whisper-22.html

Specifications:
• Caliber- .22
• Velocity: 950 feet per second (fps) with PBA, 750 fps with Lead
• Weight: 5.28 lbs
• Length: 46 in
• Barrel Length: 18 in
• Trigger Pull: 3.74 lbs
• Cocking effort:30 lbs
• Action: Single Shot
• Mechanism: Single Cocking System, Spring Piston
• Manual Trigger safety
• Barrel: Fluted Polymer Bull barrel
• Non-removable noise dampener (with up to 52% reduction)
• Cocking Effort: 30 lbs
• Trigger: Second Stage adjustable
• Automatic Cocking Safety system
[Reply]
Page 36 of 221
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136 > Last »
Up