Page 35 of 298
« First < 253132333435 363738394585135 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Bob Sutton
petegz28 10:12 PM 10-19-2017
That is all.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:48 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Look at all that pressure we put on Carr on the game winning play...

What side is Justin Houston lined up?
What side is the blocking back on? (he didn't have to pick up anybody)
Which way is Carr rolling?

Yeah, safe to say even if Houston was going after the passer, he wouldn't have affected the play
[Reply]
petegz28 08:55 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
What side is Justin Houston lined up?
What side is the blocking back on? (he didn't have to pick up anybody)
Which way is Carr rolling?

Yeah, safe to say even if Houston was going after the passer, he wouldn't have affected the play
:-), okay.....
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:00 PM 11-06-2017
He's a good coach.. Our defense has been pretty good all the years he has been here. He didn't just stop learning how to coach in one-year. It's the players. They suck.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:06 PM 11-06-2017
The talent has been a crutch for his terrible schemes. The talent isn't there anymore and now he's bottom 3.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:10 PM 11-06-2017
:-), okay.....
Did you not read what I wrote? Houston was lined up right, there was a RB in the backfield in pass pro unoccupied standing on the right (would have doubled Houston). It was a designed bootleg left which would have had Carr running away from Houston. Carr got rid of the ball pretty quickly. How do you propose Houston goes all the way right to left double teamed with the QB moving away from him on a bang-bang quick pass play?

What influence do you think Houston would have on a play like that in the pass rush? We were already rushing 5 and brought no pressure, let alone Oakland having an extra blocker in the backfield blocking nobody.
[Reply]
loochy 06:03 AM 11-07-2017
I don't know what the **** goes through the heads of some of you.

Just say this out loud 5 times and if you still don't get it you no dick about football...

Our best pass rusher drops into coverage more than he rushes the passer

That is not the only reason our D sucks but it is the epitome of the problem that is Sutton.

Top 3 pass rusher + drops into coverage more than rushing the passer = Fail of a defensive coordinator
It reminds me of the "Jamaal Charles needs more carries" thing from a few years back.

Justin Houston needs more blitzes.
[Reply]
notorious 07:16 AM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
The talent has been a crutch for his terrible schemes. The talent isn't there anymore and now he's bottom 3.
This guy gets it.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 07:16 AM 11-07-2017
Arrowheadpride 2 weeks ago:

Number 1: Bob Sutton put Justin Houston in coverage way too much, and it’s killing the defense.

We’re going to start with a half-truth. Because on one hand, it IS true that Houston spends too much time in coverage. As recently as last week it was discussed that Houston has been in coverage on a quarter of the Chiefs’ snaps against the pass this season. Compared to guys like Khalil Mack or Von Miller, who are in coverage maybe 5% of the time or so, it becomes clear that Sutton isn’t using Houston to rush enough.

However, this narrative has started to take on a life of its own. I have people telling me that Houston is in coverage half the time or more, and that’s simply not true. Against Oakland, Houston dropped into coverage 11 times in about 55 dropbacks. Now, is 20 percent still too much? Yes, I think so. But it’s not half. It’s not close to half. It’s not close to close to half.

Additionally, you need to know that it WASN’T Houston’s snaps in coverage that killed the defense. In fact, the only touchdown of the night given up when Houston was in coverage was the two yard throw at the end of the game, where they rolled away from Houston’s side and he wasn’t a factor in the play regardless. Not one of the Raiders “big” plays (20+ yards) was when Justin Houston was in coverage. In fact, on the 11 plays, only 2 of them went for more than 10 yards. On five of them, the result was an incomplete pass.

In short, while it’s true that Houston is dropping into coverage more than he should the idea that that’s what hurt the defense against Oakland is patently false.
[Reply]
TEX 07:38 AM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:

Number 1: Bob Sutton put Justin Houston in coverage way too much, and it’s killing the defense.

We’re going to start with a half-truth. Because on one hand, it IS true that Houston spends too much time in coverage. As recently as last week it was discussed that Houston has been in coverage on a quarter of the Chiefs’ snaps against the pass this season. Compared to guys like Khalil Mack or Von Miller, who are in coverage maybe 5% of the time or so, it becomes clear that Sutton isn’t using Houston to rush enough.

However, this narrative has started to take on a life of its own. I have people telling me that Houston is in coverage half the time or more, and that’s simply not true. Against Oakland, Houston dropped into coverage 11 times in about 55 dropbacks. Now, is 20 percent still too much? Yes, I think so. But it’s not half. It’s not close to half. It’s not close to close to half.

Additionally, you need to know that it WASN’T Houston’s snaps in coverage that killed the defense. In fact, the only touchdown of the night given up when Houston was in coverage was the two yard throw at the end of the game, where they rolled away from Houston’s side and he wasn’t a factor in the play regardless. Not one of the Raiders “big” plays (20+ yards) was when Justin Houston was in coverage. In fact, on the 11 plays, only 2 of them went for more than 10 yards. On five of them, the result was an incomplete pass.

In short, while it’s true that Houston is dropping into coverage more than he should the idea that that’s what hurt the defense against Oakland is patently false.
:-)
[Reply]
TEX 07:38 AM 11-07-2017

:-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:40 AM 11-07-2017
We had a top 10-15 defense in 2014 without Berry & DJ. Our starting lineup included JMJ-Mauga at ILB. Abdullah/Parker at Safety. Cooper/Gaines as our #2 CB. Devito/Bailey as our DE. That's not a great starting unit.
In 2015 we played the whole season without Berry. Top 10 defense.
In 2016 we ended the season without DJ, Houston, Howard, Mauga, Bailey. That's 5 starters, 2 of them pro bowlers. It wasn't until we lost DJ that this team spiraled backwards.

Where are people coming up with this narrative that we've had consistently outstanding talent? At best we've had 4 or 5 excellent players and 3 of them (DJ/Houston/Berry) have missed about half of our games the last 4 years. Hali's been declining. Poe's back's been a constant problem. Our defensive problems are unique to this year. This defense is a lot more talented than the one we had in 2014 or the one we had middle of last year. I don't know why we're ripping on our past successes to explain away our current failures. The difference is the scheme worked the past few years and it isn't for some reason working this year.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:46 AM 11-07-2017
Yup..
[Reply]
11Chiefs 08:26 AM 11-07-2017
The talent has been a crutch for his terrible schemes. The talent isn't there anymore...
This
[Reply]
Danguardace 08:31 AM 11-07-2017
You have to factor in that type of offenses and QB's we have been playing.

Chiefs are 6-3 and have only played vs 1 Joke QB so far. They have played 5 Top 10 Offenses (excluding their own).

I trust the coaches to go and fix things. Problem on Sunday Chiefs didn't play well on both sides at the same time.

First Half D held up O did nothing

Second Half was the reverse plus D got unlucky with a key PI
[Reply]
petegz28 08:45 AM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:

They cherry picked plays...

How about Houston on TE's against WSH and PIT that allowed huge plays that led to scores? Particularly huge plays from deep inside the other teams' 20....

Or let's even go back to last year with Houston 50 yards down field covering Antonio Brown???

Or the last play of the game last year with Houston covering Antonio Brown???

It isn't just about the scoring plays. It's about the plays that allow a team to move the ball on scoring drives.

Nice try...
[Reply]
Page 35 of 298
« First < 253132333435 363738394585135 > Last »
Up