ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 35 of 211
« First < 253132333435 363738394585135 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****The Official 2019 STL Cardinals Thread****
BigRedChief 03:23 AM 01-10-2019
Cardinals announce 25-man Opening Day roster for the 2019 season.
Spoiler!

2019 Opening Day Line up
Spoiler!

Won the Central Division. Won the NLDS.

NLDS Playoff roster
Spoiler!

NLDS Playoff Game 1 starting lineup
Spoiler!

NLCS Game One Starting lineup
Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:06 PM 04-10-2019
You could have given half of that extension to Pham, refrained from the Miller deal, signed Goldschmidt to at least 3 million less in AAV, and had a lineup of

Carpenter
Pham
Harper
Goldschmidt
Ozuna
Wong
DeJong
Molina

And still have been able to use Bader as a late inning CF replacement for Pham, who would go to left, for the same fucking money in AAV.

Christ, Mozeliak is awful.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:23 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Oh. I was assuming this year was part of the contract. Yikes, didn’t look closely.

Very Mozeliak-ish move. And that’s not a complement.
Carp ain’t over the hill yet. He still has value to the team. 2 years, fine and dandy. An additional 3 years for a total of 4 years? Why? The only thing I can come up with is that they know the votes are there to bring the DH to the NL as part of the concessions to the players union within the new CBA in 2 years.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:24 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Carp ain’t over the hill yet. He still has value to the team. 2 years, fine and dandy. An additional 3 years for a total of 4 years? Why? The only thing I can come up with is that they know the votes are there to bring the DH to the NL as part of the concessions to the players union in the new CBA in 2 years.
So move Goldschmidt to DH.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:50 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
So move Goldschmidt to DH.
I agree. I don’t get boxing yourself in with aging corner infielders. At least Goldy is a good 1B. He’s not a liability on defense like Carp is on defense.

I read up on the top shelf talent in the minors that you and DJ mentioned earlier. None are top shelf defensively. They don’t suck but there is not a future Arenado among them. So they could DH their first year, right? That said...... they are probably going to be better than Carp at 3B.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:57 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I agree. I don’t get boxing yourself in with aging corner infielders. At least Goldy is a good 1B. He’s not a liability on defense like Carp is on defense.

I read up on the top shelf talent in the minors that you and DJ mentioned earlier. None are top shelf defensively. They don’t suck but there is not a future Arenado among them. So they could DH their first year, right? That said...... they are probably going to be better than Carp at 3B.
I don't get what the Cardinals are doing. They're locking up guys in their mid 30s like they're trying to hold together the last pieces of a title contender when the reality is that they're much closer to a changing of the guard.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:58 PM 04-10-2019
Plus, looking at it, the Cardinals could have played hardball there. Based on recent market, he would not have gotten anything close to 3/55 after this year.

2/35 probably would have been about top end for him.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:00 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Plus, looking at it, the Cardinals could have played hardball there. Based on recent market, he would not have gotten anything close to 3/55 after this year.

2/35 probably would have been about top end for him.
They could have just picked up his option and given him a QO after next season. There is literally no upside to this deal for them. 34 year old Matt Carpenter is not turning down a QO.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:06 PM 04-10-2019
I don't get what the Cardinals are doing. They're locking up guys in their mid 30s like they're trying to hold together the last pieces of a title contender when the reality is that they're much closer to a changing of the guard.
I agree. It doesn’t make sense. I’d sure like to know why they did this now and for this long.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:10 PM 04-10-2019
Ozuna is the most frustrating player in baseball. Hits a double steals a base and scores first run off hustle and grit.

Then drives a runner from 1st to 3rd and gets picked off first over running the base for no ****ing reason.

McCarver lit him up.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:20 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Ozuna is the most frustrating player in baseball. Hits a double steals a base and scores first run off hustle and grit.

Then drives a runner from 1st to 3rd and gets picked off first over running the base for no ****ing reason.

McCarver lit him up.
it was a really bone headed play. Tim was right. No excuses. The outfielder has the ball. He’s 50 feet from you. Your looking right at him. There is not going to be a throw home. He needs to take the game more seriously than that non-chalant, I’m too cool rounding 1st base for what reason again.....no fucking reason.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:56 PM 04-10-2019
Who the last left handed pitcher the Cards had that was actually good? How is it possible to be this inept at developing or signing a decent left handed reliever who just needs to get lefties out and not give up HR?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 08:07 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Who the last left handed pitcher the Cards had that was actually good? How is it possible to be this inept at developing or signing a decent left handed reliever who just needs to get lefties out and not give up HR?
Carlton?
[Reply]
VAChief 08:11 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Carlton?
Tudor was nails for a couple of years. I loved that guy, he had Bob Gibson type resolve.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 08:15 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by VAChief:
Tudor was nails for a couple of years. I loved that guy, he had Bob Gibson type resolve.
I was kidding. As far as relievers go, Steve Kline was nails for a few years. Sure been a while since we’ve had a good one though.
[Reply]
Miles 08:28 PM 04-10-2019
They could have just picked up his option and given him a QO after next season. There is literally no upside to this deal for them. 34 year old Matt Carpenter is not turning down a QO.
I’d completely forgotten that he was already tied up under an option for next year which makes this even more baffling. Even ignoring the amounts its a huge unnecessary risk for each additional year into the 30s.
[Reply]
Page 35 of 211
« First < 253132333435 363738394585135 > Last »
Up