ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 34 of 324
« First < 243031323334 353637384484134 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Mecca 10:25 PM 01-24-2019
He's actually exactly right, There are very few 1st time DC's doing a good job in the NFL. And with Andy Reid and the way he approaches the defensive side there was no way he was ever going with a dude who had never done it before.

You can say retread all you want but the truth is, what happens if they hire a 1st time DC and he isn't cut out for basically being completely in charge of his side of the ball? You're talking about a total meltdown that season.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:27 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
And when he had bad defenses he didn’t have much talent, but you continue to ignore that part.

DC’a need talent and a good situation to be successful. It’s not that complicated.
Bad defenses and bad talent sounds a lot like what he'll have here.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:27 PM 01-24-2019
Ken Norton looked like the worst DC in the NFL when he was with the Raiders.

This year in Seattle, he did a damn good job with that D.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 10:28 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He's actually exactly right, There are very few 1st time DC's doing a good job in the NFL. And with Andy Reid and the way he approaches the defensive side there was no way he was ever going with a dude who had never done it before.

You can say retread all you want but the truth is, what happens if they hire a 1st time DC and he isn't cut out for basically being completely in charge of his side of the ball? You're talking about a total meltdown that season.
Fair to say an experience DC had a total meltdown in KC this year, and a few other critical playoff games during his tenure...
[Reply]
The Bad Guy 10:28 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
People always view this stuff with homer glasses. One week ago, all the talk around here was how the Chiefs' defense was actually good at home. Rather than looking at what QBs they had faced at home (almost all shit), they ignored the warning signs.

Steve Spagnuolo is a guy that had a couple of good defenses a decade ago when he had DE's like Strahan (HOF'er) Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and JPP.

In 2007, his three best DE's combined for over 300 career sacks.
In 2011, his three best DE's combined for over 210 career sacks.

No shit he had good defenses back then. Christ, Greg Robinson could have coordinated a great unit with that talent.

The best thing you can say about him is that when he had the best DL of the last generation he didn't **** it up, but that's damning with faint praise.

Even in 2016 he had two good-great ends and three All-Pro DBs. No one could **** that up.
I'm still not a huge fan of it, but with the pass rush last year generating that many sacks, I think Spags will get the most out of that.

I'm going to be very curious to see what position coaches stay on staff.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:28 PM 01-24-2019
Ken Norton looked like the worst DC in the NFL when he was with the Raiders.

This year in Seattle, he did a damn good job with that D.
Pete Carroll runs that defense.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:28 PM 01-24-2019
So it wouldn’t have mattered who we hired because there’s not a DC in the NFL that can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Might as well just skip the draft a free agency too.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:29 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
Fair to say an experience DC had a total meltdown in KC this year, and a few other critical playoff games during his tenure...
It could actually end up worse than that...you can bitch and all but guess what look at the numbers, Who has done well never being a DC before? Who are the hot young DC's in the league right now?

It's an honest question I don't think this current team is the time to roll with a dude with no experience.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 10:29 PM 01-24-2019
And when he had bad defenses he didn’t have much talent, but you continue to ignore that part.

DC’a need talent and a good situation to be successful. It’s not that complicated.
Exactly! The ppl saying this shit probably don’t know Belichick used to be a sub .500 coach with the browns lol. You gotta have talent at some point.
[Reply]
The Bad Guy 10:29 PM 01-24-2019
It's tough for me to say they have bad talent when Hitchens played a lot better in Dallas and other teams were interested in him, and they have 3 guys who could post double digit sacks.

They need more secondary talent and will potentially need to figure out a MLB or SLB, but there are pieces to work with.
[Reply]
The Bad Guy 10:31 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It could actually end up worse than that...you can bitch and all but guess what look at the numbers, Who has done well never being a DC before? Who are the hot young DC's in the league right now?

It's an honest question I don't think this current team is the time to roll with a dude with no experience.
They certainly aren't. The head coach isn't going to be involved in anything defense related.

There's very, very few teams that are taking chances on first-time DC's. The only ones doing that are defensive head coaches.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:31 PM 01-24-2019
I don't think it's so much of an thing where the Chiefs took a retread as it doesn't seem like he really did a coaching search at all and tripped allover his dick to hand the job to someone in his inner circle.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:31 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy:
I'm still not a huge fan of it, but with the pass rush last year generating that many sacks, I think Spags will get the most out of that.

I'm going to be very curious to see what position coaches stay on staff.
The Chiefs have proven you can have a ton of sacks and still have a really bad defense, and they did that without relying on the blitz. If you add a blitz-happy DC you'll probably notice an uptick against young/bad QBs, but what happens when you face QBs that thrive against the blitz, especially if you don't have press-man corners?

This feels exactly like a move from the Pioli years.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:31 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
1/2 of CP. The same 1/2 that thought Geno Smith was our QBOTF
Oh shut the fuck up. There are like two guys who really fucking hate this hire and are predicting doom. Everyone else seems to have wanted somebody else but is at least slightly intrigued about some of the new possibilities with alignments we can try out. Re-purposing players is sometimes the key to unlocking a player's full potential, like it was for Derrick Johnson in 2009.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 10:32 PM 01-24-2019
That’s not true at all. The point of firing Sutton is bc the sum was worse than the individual talent. He will get way more out of the talent we have, or at worst break even- something Sutton couldn’t do.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 324
« First < 243031323334 353637384484134 > Last »
Up