ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 34 of 42
« First < 243031323334 35363738 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Smith is the best QB on the roster right now
Titty Meat 11:46 AM 08-12-2017
If Smith goes down this year the team is fucked. He's clearly the best QB on the roster right now.
[Reply]
milkman 04:17 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Hard to say, but given the circumstances and what we know of Mahomes Id wager he wouldn't be a strong "ruined by playing too soon" candidate. Im seeing and hearing more Manning than Leaf.
I've already said the same regarding Mahomes, but that has nothing to do with the point I presented.
[Reply]
mschiefs1984 04:19 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Beautiful pass by Smitty

If only we would see more of this.

Smith has the physical ability to be a damn good QB. He just plays it safe way to much IMO
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:20 PM 08-20-2017
We have had a lot of guys play QB right away and be just fine. I cant remember the last guy ruined by playing too soon.
There are still plenty of first round QB failures (Bortles, Manuel, Locker, Gabbert... Goff is still an unnknown). And I would also argue that RGIII, Manziel and Tannehill had huge immaturity issues early on. I don't think anyone worries Mahomes will be ruined. But I don't think missing a year is going to stunt his development considering how much he still has to work on.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:22 PM 08-20-2017
Manning sucked his first season.
Yet Dak Prescott and Russel Wilson did not in theirs. What's your point?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:23 PM 08-20-2017
Manning sucked his first season.

We have Smitty and a legit shot at the SB w him starting. There is 0 reason to start Mahomes this year. The kid is young and has plenty of years ahead of him.
Thanks for making my point, Gumby.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:23 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by mschiefs1984:

Smith has the physical ability to be a damn good QB. He just plays it safe way to much IMO
I agree. We all know he can do it he just chooses not to because his conservative style has worked for him.

However if preseason is any indication I think the days of him playing it safe are gone. We'll see.
[Reply]
notorious 04:23 PM 08-20-2017
He can do it, and nobody will be happier than myself if he finally figures it out.

I am not getting my hope up, though.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:26 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
There are still plenty of first round QB failures (Bortles, Manuel, Locker, Gabbert... Goff is still an unnknown). And I would also argue that RGIII, Manziel and Tannehill had huge immaturity issues early on. I don't think anyone worries Mahomes will be ruined. But I don't think missing a year is going to stunt his development considering how much he still has to work on.
Did any of those guys start right out of the gate? Pretty sure Locker didnt.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:29 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Yet Dak Prescott and Russel Wilson did not in theirs. What's your point?
The best QB will start for the Chiefs. That is how the NFL works. Mahomes is looking good but Alex is looking great.

Wilson beat out a crap QB and Prescott started because the glass QB Romo got hurt. Keep that in mind. Different situation than what Mahomes is in.

You don't just start a QB because he is a rookie w a lot of potential. That's stupid. You start someone because they earned their position by beating out their competition.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:29 PM 08-20-2017
I agree. We all know he can do it he just chooses not to because his conservative style has worked for him.

However if preseason is any indication I think the days of him playing it safe are gone. We'll see.
We've played this game every year for 10 years. Including several years with a coach like Reid who no doubt has asked him to be more aggressive. It's very hard for me to believe anything is changing. Once they start throwing blitzes and different looks at him, he's going to go safe. Alex Smith has been mostly terrific in the preseasons. Because there's nothing to lose for him to attack - who cares if you lose a preseason game? In a regular season game, attacking means a bigger chance of making a mistake that could lose a game. I don't think at this point you'll ever beat that mentality out of him.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:31 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by notorious:
He can do it, and nobody will be happier than myself if he finally figures it out.

I am not getting my hope up, though.
I can understand that

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
We've played this game every year for 10 years. Including several years with a coach like Reid who no doubt has asked him to be more aggressive. It's very hard for me to believe anything is changing. Once they start throwing blitzes and different looks at him, he's going to go safe. Alex Smith has been mostly terrific in the preseasons. Because there's nothing to lose for him to attack - who cares if you lose a preseason game? In a regular season game, attacking means a bigger chance of making a mistake that could lose a game. I don't think at this point you'll ever beat that mentality out of him.
I don't remember Alex looking this good in any preseason with the Chiefs... He looks to have really improved his down the field passing and hopefully it carries on into the regular season.

I don't think he will change his style completely and he shouldn't. It's a little late in the game for that. But he is capable of taking more shots down the field.
[Reply]
notorious 04:33 PM 08-20-2017
I can understand that
He can tear a defense apart, then go into a shell. It's frustrating.

After the SD game last year I was extremely jacked up. Alex balled out and was magnificent in the comeback.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:33 PM 08-20-2017
Did any of those guys start right out of the gate? Pretty sure Locker didnt.
They started very early in their career. I don't see how it makes any real difference if they earned the job from day 1 or on week 10.
[Reply]
mcaj22 04:36 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by mschiefs1984:

He is a good QB, he doesn't have the physical ability to be an elite QB. He can't make all the throws in all the circumstances that might happen throughout the course of given a game. When things break down and the pocket collapses he can't rip it across his body or off his back foot to the receiver that maybe is improvising to get open or someone he can't see because he's not looking at the whole field.

He is still a good QB and developed into one later in his career. Some of these other franchises need to wake up and realize Alex Smith could bring them respectability for the next couple of years like he did here. He brought this franchise out of a literal turd dumpster and for that Alex needs and deserves respect as a very good Chief.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:37 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
He is a good QB, he doesn't have the physical ability to be an elite QB. He can't make all the throws in all the circumstances that might happen throughout the course of given a game. When things break down and the pocket collapses he can't rip it across his body or off his back foot to the receiver that maybe is improvising to get open or someone he can't see because he's not looking at the whole field.

He is still a good QB and developed into one later in his career. Some of these other franchises need to wake up and realize Alex Smith could bring them respectability for the next couple of years like he did here. He brought this franchise out of a literal turd dumpster and for that Alex needs and deserves respect as a very good Chief.
Good post.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 42
« First < 243031323334 35363738 > Last »
Up