ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 339 of 791
« First < 239289329335336337338339 340341342343349389439 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
Mecca 08:40 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Jets are favs to land Bell
As the Colts spend their cap doing nothing...the Jets spend a billion dollars.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:40 AM 03-12-2019
I think at this point they may as well just keep Dee... I don’t see any team offering anything that is worth more than his one year of potential productivity. And there’s not a lot of places to go with that money of his at this point either.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:41 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea Ford’s clearly not worth a 1 year deal similar to what Devin Funchess just got.
Is Funchess going to count $16M against he 2019 cap? Does he have a history of not contributing at all in more than 1 season?

Stop trying to make the argument relative. It isn't.
[Reply]
O.city 08:41 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I think at this point they may as well just keep Dee... I don’t see any team offering anything that is worth more than his one year of potential productivity. And there’s not a lot of places to go with that money of his at this point either.
15 mil for a situational pass rusher isn't smart.

I'd think that they have an idea he's more than that if they tagged him because that's kind of risky if not.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:41 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The franchise tag isn't a 1-year "prove it" deal. It's a guaranteed average of the top 5 players at his position.

It's a way to keep a marquee player while trying to work out a long-term deal, like they did with Houston, Berry, Hali, and countless others.

If he's not worth a long-term deal, he's not worth the tag. It's that simple.
Yes, that's fine. It's not your typical "prove it" deal, but in Ford's case that's very much what it is. No one wants to give Ford a long-term deal because he's essentially only had one truly stand out season and has had a history of injury concerns. Pretty reasonable that a lot of teams would love it if they could just control him for one season to see if he can replicate/exceed his production without having to lock in some multi-year extension. The Chiefs have that luxury with the franchise tag right now. And given how much salaries are exploding thus far in FA, the franchise tag value looks less exorbitant.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:42 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
That $16M could be better spent elsewhere.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:42 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Dee Ford in a 4-3 is a situational pass rusher....it'd probably make sense to take whatever you can get for him and spend that money elsewhere.
If that’s really how they plan to use him then yes just trade him but surely he could start at LEO...?
[Reply]
O.city 08:42 AM 03-12-2019
Is Funchess going to count $16M against he 2019 cap? Does he have a history of not contributing at all in more than 1 season?

Uh, yeah.

Isn't it a 1 year 13 million dollar deal?
[Reply]
Red Dawg 08:43 AM 03-12-2019
I think if Spags doesn't think he can do the job needed then rescind the tag and let him walk. We could use the money now for other players. It's clear we have no interest in keeping him. Other teams no that.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:43 AM 03-12-2019
I’m so shocked that the Colts haven’t spent very much at all despite having more money than anyone at the start of this whole thing.

What the hell is Ballard holding it for?
[Reply]
staylor26 08:44 AM 03-12-2019

Not 16, but 13.

Its clearly relevant.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:44 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Yes, that's fine. It's not your typical "prove it" deal, but in Ford's case that's very much what it is. No one wants to give Ford a long-term deal because he's essentially only had one truly stand out season and has had a history of injury concerns. Pretty reasonable that a lot of teams would love it if they could just control him for one season to see if he can replicate/exceed his production without having to lock in some multi-year extension. The Chiefs have that luxury with the franchise tag right now. And given how much salaries are exploding thus far in FA, the franchise tag value looks less exorbitant.
If he's not worth a long-term deal with guarantees spread out to lessen the cap hit, how is he worth $16M guaranteed in one season? You do realize that his cap hit is likely to be 2-3 TIMES Honey Badger's cap hit in 2019, right? You could get 1 or 2 more Honey Badger's with Dee Ford's money. Or you can pay Dee Ford knowing that he could get hurt at any time (the admitted reason you don't want to give him a contract) and get NOTHING.

I'm not down with "nothing". 2019 is a Super Bowl year. Heck, 2018 would have been a Super Bowl year if not for Dee Ford, but that's not why I don't want him back.
[Reply]
O.city 08:45 AM 03-12-2019

I'm told free agent LB Preston Smith is going to Green Bay on a 4-year deal worth $52M. $16M fully guaranteed at signing. Smith choices came down to the #Colts and the #Packers, per source.

— ig: josinaanderson (@JosinaAnderson) March 12, 2019

[Reply]
htismaqe 08:45 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Not 16, but 13.

Its clearly relevant.
It isn't relevant. It never has been. The discussion has always been about the merit of giving Dee Ford that much guaranteed money. Other players don't matter, especially not wide receivers.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:45 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
15 mil for a situational pass rusher isn't smart.

I'd think that they have an idea he's more than that if they tagged him because that's kind of risky if not.
If that’s really how they view him then sure but it’s just a tough move to make (in conjunction with releasing Houston) without knowing their plan. And I’m sure they have one.

I read again this morning that they love Charles Omenihu. I think he’s a great potential LEO. But you don’t get him until April, if you even do.

I’d like them to go get someone like Chris Long and cover their ass a little bit in the meantime if they want Ford gone.
[Reply]
Page 339 of 791
« First < 239289329335336337338339 340341342343349389439 > Last »
Up