ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 325 of 727
« First < 225275315321322323324325 326327328329335375425 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 03:33 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Plenty of people care about basketball, especially during the tournament. Nobody has said otherwise.

What people have said, and correctly at that, is that basketball has very little impact on the landscape of realignment. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

The first 2 schools to move were Nebraska and Colorado. Basketball schools? I think not.

aTm went to the SEC. Basketball school?

TCU went to the Big East and now the Big XII. Basketball school?

Syracuse and Pitt were in the best basketball conference known to man. They left that conference for the sake of their football teams that were withering away in the Big East despite the fact that their basketball teams flourished.

Mizzou, Rutgers, and WVU are all being rumored to join new conferences. None of them are basketball schools.

If you think that this isn't all about football, its because you are choosing to ignore reality. The list above is almost comical in how obvious it is that basketball doesnt matter.

Holy shit man....I think everyone.....EVERYONE....understands what you've just said. Everyone has heard it each time a MU fan posts....we get it. If they don't get it, do they really belong in this thread?

Basketball is secondary. We got it. Football is like Jesus hanging with Zeus shooting basketball fans with a football gun.....basketball is like synchronized swimming on dry land.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 03:34 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
I know his posts are hard to read. I think he already knows all this is driven by FB and tries to explain it by saying that NCAA takes all the BBall profits away from schools unlike BCS. I'm not sure how correct he is.
I believe basketball funds all non-revenue spots.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:47 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
K-State's home alternate:

:-)

Post of the day
[Reply]
HemiEd 03:57 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Holy shit man....I think everyone.....EVERYONE....understands what you've just said. Everyone has heard it each time a MU fan posts....we get it. If they don't get it, do they really belong in this thread?

Basketball is secondary. We got it. Football is like Jesus hanging with Zeus shooting basketball fans with a football gun.....basketball is like synchronized swimming on dry land.
[Reply]
Pants 04:04 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:

What are you saying here? I'm confused.

[Reply]
alnorth 04:17 PM 10-13-2011
The whole "the NCAA stole basketball postseason revenue" argument is a decent one, but its not an end-all be-all argument. Yes, the basketball contract is huge, and yes it is not fair that basketball tournament revenue is taken and used to fund non-revenue sport championships with whatever is left redistributed to everyone in the NCAA while football money is grabbed by a few conferences. Yes, if it wasn't that way, basketball would become more relevant. However, football would still be king, by a long shot.

The football postseason plus the regular season combined produces a lot more than twice as much as the ncaa tournament. While the basketball regular season isn't very valuable except for a handful of schools, the football regular season is hugely important. So we're basically comparing basketball tournament vs all of football. So if you wave a magic wand and force football to start supporting some of the non-revenue sports, ncaa tournament money would still be dwarfed by football postseason money + football regular season money.

I wouldn't change things very much for KU.
[Reply]
kstater 05:06 PM 10-13-2011
This will be fun.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...ed/?tigerextra

Originally Posted by :
Neal Pilson, the former president of CBS Sports, is a consultant who helped negotiate recent multibillion dollar deals for NASCAR and the Olympics. He said the fact that the SEC is just two years into a 15-year contract with its TV partners means it has little leverage.
Originally Posted by :
If SEC wanted now to pool its Tier 3 rights and try to start a network, its bargaining power might be diminished, according to a media consultant with experience in TV rights negotiations, who wished to remain anonymous. He said the SEC’s big chance came before it signed its current contract.
Originally Posted by :
Maestas also was dubious about the SEC’s ability to start a network on par with the Big Ten or Pac-12 considering it’s current circumstances.
“Because they signed a pretty comprehensive deal and decided not to launch their own network last time, they didn’t leave themselves the kind of inventory you need to really do a network successfully,” Maestas said. “Let’s use the Pac-12 as an example. I think the direction conferences will go is leaving a lot more quality football and basketball inventory to drive distribution and sales of that network. The Big Ten did a decent amount and had great success. The Pac-12 has left a good deal of inventory and has had tremendous success. The SEC doesn’t have that high a quality of inventory left over on a relative basis.

[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 05:07 PM 10-13-2011
Ignoring the fact that what you said has absolutely nothing to do with my post, I'm less than convinced that. TCU is going to waltz in and start throwing its weight around.
Your's was just the last comment on TCU I saw & it really is more a reply to some talk Ive seen around that people think UT is happy they got another Texas school back in the fold as if they are going to block vote & follow UT, so my point was more mentioning that Ive heard that TCU isnt down with that at all.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 05:10 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
K-State's home alternate:

Holy hell that's :-)
[Reply]
Pants 05:13 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by kstater:
This will be fun.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...ed/?tigerextra
MU is going to be that inventory they need.
[Reply]
Saul Good 06:24 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
MU is going to be that inventory they need.
You sarcasm not withstanding, if they expand their potential audience by 40% with the additions of aTm and Mizzou, pretty much.
[Reply]
Old Dog 06:43 PM 10-13-2011
Boise St possibly to the Big East? The article doesn't make it seem probable, but even the possibility makes about as much sense as basketball cleats.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...eed-persuading
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:44 PM 10-13-2011
You sarcasm not withstanding, if they expand their potential audience by 40% with the additions of aTm and Mizzou, pretty much.
Will the woman's softball coverage be regional, or conference wide?
[Reply]
O.city 06:45 PM 10-13-2011
Good grief with all this conference stuff. Just do away with the SEC, Big 12, 10 whatever and make 5 major conferences according to your location.
[Reply]
Saul Good 06:51 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by O.city:
Good grief with all this conference stuff. Just do away with the SEC, Big 12, 10 whatever and make 5 major conferences according to your location.
No need. There are going to be 4. This will lead to a playoff. Faces will be rocked.
[Reply]
Page 325 of 727
« First < 225275315321322323324325 326327328329335375425 > Last »
Up