ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 321 of 3903
« First < 221271311317318319320321 3223233243253313714218211321 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SuperBowl4 01:13 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
All in the game yo, all in the game
I would get a second opinion. A second test.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:15 PM 03-16-2020

[Reply]
mr. tegu 01:16 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sure, but debating what the real number is is an exercise in futility. It's pretty solid to assume this is way more deadly than H1N1, though.

Not really. It’s not debating numbers to accept that there are going to be thousands of cases unreported. If there aren’t then it’s not as contagious as suggested. Cant have both of those statements be true. How many cases would guess South Korea has? Do you think they have a proportional amount of deaths as well? Because regardless of how many they have additional the proportion is almost, as you would say, solid to assume not even close.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:17 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sure, but debating what the real number is is an exercise in futility. It's pretty solid to assume this is way more deadly than H1N1, though.
I can't go there. Not yet. H1N1 killed people across a much broader age spectrum along with over half a million people. We haven't even hit 10,000 yet globally.
[Reply]
tk13 01:18 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Not really. It’s not debating numbers to accept that there are going to be thousands of cases unreported. If there aren’t then it’s not as contagious as suggested. How many cases would guess South Korea has? Do you think they have a proportional amount of deaths as well? Because regardless of how many they have additional the proportion is almost, as you would say, solid to assume not even close.
I think there's plenty to this argument, the problem is we are probably way more in line with Italy's approach to this than South Korea.
[Reply]
SupDock 01:18 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
:-)
[Reply]
petegz28 01:19 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
I think there's plenty to this argument, the problem is we are probably way more in line with Italy's approach to this than South Korea.
How do you figure, sports fan?
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:20 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
I would get a second opinion. A second test.
A man got to have a code
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:21 PM 03-16-2020
Why are curfews being discussed by states and cities to be implemented? Has there been some unrest that I’m not aware of?
[Reply]
tk13 01:21 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
How do you figure, sports fan?
This ain't rocket science. We are hardly testing at all and are unable to tell where the virus has spread in America, save a few specific hotspots. South Korea is testing and isolating people at a very, very high rate. We are rationing tests for people who fit a specific group of criteria.
[Reply]
eDave 01:23 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
Plenty of beer still unsold where I live.
Cat litter was completely cleaned out too. Odd. I suppose people expect to be shitting cat boxes soon.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 01:23 PM 03-16-2020

This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing 👊🏾👊🏾 No panic. pic.twitter.com/Lg7HVMZglZ

— Idris Elba (@idriselba) March 16, 2020

[Reply]
petegz28 01:24 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
This ain't rocket science. We are hardly testing at all and are unable to tell where the virus has spread in America, save a few specific hotspots. South Korea is testing and isolating people at a very, very high rate. We are rationing tests for people who fit a specific group of criteria.
I just ran some numbers and right now we are on pace to be about 1670 deaths below Italy if we maintain and reach the number of cases they have.

We are testing people with symptoms. Testing you now means dick if you're negative. You walk outside and talk to someone who has it and now we wasted a test on you and will eventually have to do another one.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:25 PM 03-16-2020
I'm going to do a stupid thing and weigh in here after a prolonged absence. I think FAX is probably onto something in that people are pretty firmly entrenched in wherever they stand on this so anything I have to say is probably just going to inflame passions either way. Oh well.

Like most I've been watching these curves and I've done as much as I can to try to inform myself of what's going on. I was cognizant of the 'capacity vs. severity' problem well before the "flatten the curve" movement put it into an easily digestible and graphic form. Ultimately it's been clear from the start of the real issues in Italy that this is not an issue of contraction (because the severity is extremely focused but otherwise benign as far as this sort of high intensity outbreak is concerned) but rather capacity to treat. If an 80 year old gets it and takes up a bed, that's still taking up a bed, even if it's an 80 year old rather than a 20 year old.

So that being the case, it still feels to me like the focus on contraction is misplaced when we discuss 'the curve'. Rather, ALL of this needs to be centered upon critical care instances, does it not? Because those are the ones that really need to be addressed. Those are the ones that strain the healthcare system and when it snaps create catastrophic outcomes. And from what I've seen, we're in MUCH better shape over a similar timeline than Italy was in terms of critical care cases. Remember that while we are very similar in our 'beds per 1,000' count to Italy, we're WELL ahead of them in our critical care beds; rates nearly 3 times as high. That puts us in a far stronger situation than they were. There are systemic (not to mention cultural and demographic) reasons to believe that our critical care system will take this hit far better than theirs did.

Additionally, I worry that our focus is shifting too much. What people seem to be ignoring about the 'flatten the curve' simulations is that there is a NEEDED spread in them. Remember that the long-term timeline on that curve effectively ends as the 'eligible' population for spread continues to reduce towards zero. Well in that curve that eligible population isn't being reduced by isolation (or death), it's being reduced through recovery. They get moved out of the 'carrier' group at that point through acquired immunity. Once that eligible population gets small enough, spread reduces for lack of carriers. All those cute little curves people are posting are based on simulations built around that very premise.

So to the 'shut it down' crowd - to what end? Let's say we actually DO just stop the spread - what happens in 6 months? This virus exists worldwide and will always exist unless a vaccine wipes it out. That seems unlikely according to most sources I've read. So the moment you try to open the taps back up, you've re-introduced the same 'eligible carrier' population with little/no acquired immunity developed. In the meantime you've shut down the economy for 6 months to do...what? Start back where we were on 3/1/2020? How's that get us out of this? That's untold harm done to the population for precisely zero long-term gain.

I'm a military history/tactics guy so this kinda brings me around to my POV here. This is an ambush - full stop. Direction #1 for not dying in an ambush? Avoid it. Okay - but this idea that we could've just avoided it is silly - that was never going to happen. The rest of the world has different leadership than we do ALL of them are getting hit as well. So let's take option 1 off the table because it simply isn't realistic given modern life. So we were marching a column and the ambush is here - what are you supposed to do in an ambush once you're in it?

No, you don't keep your rifle on your shoulder and keep marching. I think that's the folly of the 'keep up your everyday life crowd'. This is here and things are different than they were a month ago. So we need to act like it. But guess what? The answer isn't to dig trenches and go prone either. And that's what the "shut it down!" crowd is espousing. We cannot simply duck our heads and hope they run out of ammo before they kill us all. Keep marching and you get shot in the chest. Lay on your belly and you'll get shot in the back. You're still gonna get wiped out - the latter may just take a little longer.

The tactic for addressing an imminent ambush is that you have to shoot your way out. You find the source of fire, shoulder your rifles, KEEP MOVING and you fucking attack it. You change what you were doing but above all else you stay on the attack. And yes, when a unit is trying to fight its way out of an ambush, people die. But a damn sight fewer of them than if you just keep marching or simply dig a trench.

As a nation we can't simply shut down. That's digging in and hoping for some miracle air support that simply may not come at all and if so it could easily be far too late. And we can't ignore it - that's just marching with your rifles on your shoulders. We have to accept that part of the assault on COVID -- even with the 'flatten the curve' simulations -- is acquired immunity. It's fighting back on the ground. And yes, that's going to yield casualties but it will also give you a chance to actually win the damn thing and shoot your way through it.

Are there people with this disease who are showing no symptoms? Yup - almost certainly. And that's GOOD. Because it means that they're slowly building up that acquired immunity that will pass them out of the 'eligible carrier' population into the acquired immune population. And are they carrying as high/higher a viral load than those that are showing symptoms? Very probably - but it's also super SUPER easy for them to not do the things that transmit the virus. If you aren't coughing/sneezing aerosolized virus on people/surfaces, you're far less likely to actually transmit it. You're the guy who can do a shitload to combat this thing by living normally but washing your hands more and avoiding your face. Don't share vapes or lick your fingers. Don't do things that puts your saliva/virus on surfaces because those are going to be voluntary acts for you that you can otherwise avoid (coughing/sneezing among the symptomatic is obviously far less voluntary).

We've gotta recognize that the end-game isn't a complete elimination of any sort of spread. It never was. The end-game is a 'rolled out' version of it. And to know if the steps we're taking are effective, we have to give them time to breath and focus on critical care cases rather than simply instances of contraction because in these scenarios, asymptomatic (or mild) contraction is in many ways an ally. By doing too little, we defeat the ability to slow roll it. But by doing too much we do just as much damage by not allowing it to spread at all and thus accomplishing NOTHING. At some point this has to become endemic, IMO.

I think the 'do nothing' crowd has largely evaporated but I worry the 'lock it down' crowd is going to do just as much damage if we don't recognize that at some point the drive to be 'more concerned' than the last guy who suggested something is just going to prolong the inevitable and in all likelihood permanently scar the nation that emerges. As a nation we have to keep moving forward to get through this. Keeping everyone locked in their houses for a month or longer won't do it.

I suspect this will do nothing but convince everyone that I'm an idiot, but such is life.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:25 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Why are curfews being discussed by states and cities to be implemented? Has there been some unrest that I’m not aware of?
Yeah, I don't get the curfew shit at all. Just another over the top reation.
[Reply]
Page 321 of 3903
« First < 221271311317318319320321 3223233243253313714218211321 > Last »
Up