ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 320 of 3903
« First < 220270310316317318319320 3213223233243303704208201320 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 12:58 PM 03-16-2020
Cases are starting to increase as expected. At the moment the number of deaths is holding at 73 and the number of serious\critical cases is staying at 12
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:58 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Idris Elba got it

All in the game yo, all in the game
[Reply]
petegz28 12:58 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That is not what my post was addressing, pete
I just said people. I wasn't talking about the union workers specifically. It's a domino effect.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:58 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Just relax. Remember this line:

Can’t you understand what’s happening here? Don’t you see what’s happening? Potter isn’t selling. Potter’s buying! And why? Because we’re panicking and he’s not. That’s why. He’s picking up some bargains. Now, we can get through this thing all right. We’ve got to stick together, though. We’ve got to have faith in each other.

That’s been my investing strategy since I was 21. Buy when others are panicking. It really does work.
That same line has been going through my mind for a week or so now :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 12:59 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Just relax. Remember this line:

Can’t you understand what’s happening here? Don’t you see what’s happening? Potter isn’t selling. Potter’s buying! And why? Because we’re panicking and he’s not. That’s why. He’s picking up some bargains. Now, we can get through this thing all right. We’ve got to stick together, though. We’ve got to have faith in each other.

That’s been my investing strategy since I was 21. Buy when others are panicking. It really does work.
I'm not talking about investing. I've been buying the entire leg down.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:01 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I just said people. I wasn't talking about the union workers specifically. It's a domino effect.
My post was specific to the entertainment industry, pete.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:02 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I'm not talking about investing. I've been buying the entire leg down.

Fabulous.
Keep buying until the tide turns.
[Reply]
Monticore 01:02 PM 03-16-2020
Sh!t they cancelled my colonoscopy tomorrow, 2 days of prep down the toilet.
[Reply]
patteeu 01:03 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
So I can't get in to speak to my counselor for over a week. I wouldn't mind hearing some advice from you guys on things I can do to alleviate this stress and anxiety regarding this disease.

I'd like to stay up to date on the current information, but I do feel like I'm overloading myself right now with TOO much information.
Tomorrow there will be a Starcraft 2 qualifier tournament on https://www.twitch.tv/wardiii at noonish CDT. It's a European qualifier, but I don't know who the participants are and I think players from any region can play if they're willing to deal with the lag.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:04 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
That same line has been going through my mind for a week or so now :-)

I think of that line everyday. The bank run scene is one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever made.
[Reply]
SupDock 01:04 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
shit they cancelled my colonoscopy tomorrow, 2 days of prep down the toilet.
Explosive puns.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 01:08 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
59 million people were infected with H1N1 in the U.S. If 1% of them died (which is a reasonable estimate of where the CFR will fall out), that would be 590,000 people. Swine flu killed 12,000.

1% doesn't sound like a big number, but across the entire population, it's insanely high.

I don’t believe 1% would be accurate all given how common the symptoms are and how many people will likely have this and never need to do anything about it. For example, South Korea has the results of about 260,000 tests. About 8,200 are positive. 3.1%. Of those positives they have had 75 deaths which is about 1%. So I understand you are saying 1% of identified cases but I’m going to guess that them testing only a fraction of their population has not resulted in anything close to the number of actual cases due to the symptoms of this varying so wildly and in general attributable to the common cold for many people who will never seek any treatment.

I view that as a contrast to something like swine flu which seemed to have been much more likely to be closely identified to the accurate numbers due to its quicker and more commonly severe onset of symptoms. There are probably thousands, if not tens of thousands of unidentified cases in South Korea but the deaths due to it are probably not to far from being accurate to what is reported.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 01:10 PM 03-16-2020
This is marketing strategy at its finest.

The Invisible Man's box office numbers blew away any projections so it's smart to release it on PPV because the demand is high and movie theaters are closing around the country.

The Hunt grossly underperformed but since it's been in the news lately, it's smart to release it PPV before it's an afterthought.

For a lot of people it will cost them more to see it at $20 at home than it would have cost them in the theaters. Though I have no idea how the difference in distribution affects their revenue.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:11 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
Speaking of handling this self-isolation/voluntarily-quarantined stuff and the impact of big business on our miserable, disgusting, increasingly temporary lives ...

I propose that Amazon makes all their movies free of charge for 60 days. Comcast, too.

FAX
I have no doubt that this pandemic will ultimately change the way feature films are distributed but I do think that the theaters will be packed once the restrictions are lifted because people will be craving "normalcy".

The only question that remains is when...
yeah how many innovations, TV, cable etc. were supposed to bury the theatres. I still enjoy going to the movies. I’d pay money to see some new release’s. So maybe the big movies stay in the theatres but the lesser ones, get streamed?
[Reply]
DaFace 01:11 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I don’t believe 1% would be accurate all given how common the symptoms are and how many people will likely have this and never need to do anything about it. For example, South Korea has the results of about 260,000 tests. About 8,200 are positive. 3.1%. Of those positives they have had 75 deaths which is about 1%. So I understand you are saying 1% of identified cases but I’m going to guess that them testing only a fraction of their population has not resulted in anything close to the number of actual cases due to the symptoms of this varying so wildly and in general attributable to the common cold for many people who will never seek any treatment.

I view that as a contrast to something like swine flu which seemed to have been much more likely to be closely identified to the accurate numbers due to its quicker and more commonly severe onset of symptoms. There are probably thousands, if not tens of thousands of unidentified cases in South Korea but the deaths due to it are probably not to far from being accurate to what is reported.
Sure, but debating what the real number is is an exercise in futility. It's pretty solid to assume this is way more deadly than H1N1, though.
[Reply]
Page 320 of 3903
« First < 220270310316317318319320 3213223233243303704208201320 > Last »
Up