ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 176
« First < 222829303132 333435364282132 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2018 Royals Offseason Repository ***
duncan_idaho 08:24 PM 11-17-2017
It's the end of the world as we know it... and we feel... fine?

2018 is a season of transition for the Royals, or at least it is at this point. Dayton Moore is back. Will he swing full into THE PROCESS 2.0? Or will he try to load up again and make some reload magic happen?

Pending Free Agents:
1B | Eric Hosmer | San Diego Padres, 8 years, $144 million ($5 million signing bonus; $20 million/year in Yrs 1-5; $13 million/year in Yrs 6-8 wth player opt out)
Spoiler!

3B | Mike Moustaskas | Kansas City Royas, 1, $6.5 million
Spoiler!

CF | Lorenzo Cain | Milwaukee Brewers, 5 years, $80 million
Spoiler!

RP | Mike Minor | Texas Rangers, 3, $28 million
Spoiler!

SP | Jason Vargas | New York Mets, 2, $16 million
Spoiler!

SS | Alcides Escobar | Kansas City Royals, 1, $2.5 million
Spoiler!

2018 MLB Draft Picks
#33 - Compensation (Eric Hosmer)
#34 - Compensation (Lorenzo Cain)
#40 (Competitive Balance Round A)

Comp picks explanation:
Spoiler!

2018 Draft Names to Watch

RHP Kumar Rocker, N Oconnee HS, Georgia.
Spoiler!

OF Jarred Kelenic, Waukasha West HS, WI
Spoiler!

1B Triston Casas, American Heritage HS (FL).
Spoiler!

RHP Carter Stewart, Eau de Gallie HS (Ga).
Spoiler!

ANY Any, Any (Any). Any current top projected pick who slides for injury concerns. Includes current top prospect prospect SP Brady Singer, U of Florida.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:44 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Moustakas has never been a guy who was going to model jeans. I didn't see a noticeable difference from his pre-injury 2016 size to last year. Maybe 5-10 pounds, but it isn't like he's Pablo Sandoval.

Was it you or Hamas that was beating me up on Scott Alexander in the other thread?
{shrug}

May have been me. I said I didn't like him as a 'key' acquisition, you mentioned some changes in his approach and I ceded that I'm not that well versed on his history. Like you with Martinez, I'm wary of late-arriving prospects who burst onto the scene.

You believe he made some positive changes that make that his new normal. I'm of similar mind on Martinez.

But unlike Martinez, I suspect Alexander will get a chance to prove it.

As for Moustakas, I never recalled him being svelte, but rather just a big man; sorta a shorter version of Rolen - kinda country strong. Last year, OTOH, dude just looked fat to me. It's possible he's always been tubbier than I realized so I chalked up his defensive decline to him being overweight after the knee (it happened to Allen Craig after he hurt his foot). Maybe it's just a small sample size issue - as you've noted, defensive metrics are notoriously volatile/erratic.

But hell, even if it's just an issue of his base body type being...uh...stocky, that doesn't bode well as he enters his 30s. Not being Pablo Sandoval is damning with faint praise at best. I mean hell, Juan Uribe was still playing SS at Moose's age and he'd turned into a planet by his early 30s. The bad body guys make me nervous when the clock turns past their 20s.

The price can make just about damn near anyone palatable, but at the money/term that Boras is still going to be seeking for those guys, I'm not biting.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:50 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Man, I don't follow any of that, esp the Moose stuff. He's not moving to 1B after this year, jeez.
Any of it? Then your homer glasses are clouding your judgment. At least memories of fonder days could be.

Holland especially is a ticking timebomb. Losing velocity annually with a high-stress delivery and a slider heavy arsenal from a relief pitcher. Pretty much every red flag that can exist for a pitcher exists for Greg Holland.

The 2014 Holland is dead and buried. The '15 version is pretty much a best case scenario and by the end of '17 he'd shown a 2 mph velocity dip over where he was at the start of the year. That doesn't bode well for a 32 year old reliever who leans hard on a high-stress, loud delivery breaking ball.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 07:40 AM 01-03-2018

The Kansas City Royals have offered Eric Hosmer a franchise-record seven-year, $147 million contract. https://t.co/Gd6SnTLKnW

— USA TODAY Sports (@usatodaysports) January 3, 2018

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:41 AM 01-03-2018
Bigger swing than I thought KC could take. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
ChiTown 07:43 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:

Wow. Not sure how I feel about that. Feels very Alex Gordon-like.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 07:45 AM 01-03-2018
NOOOOO!!! i love those guys and Hosmer but we can't spend money like this. Welcome to mediocrity again. At least we won't have those 100 loss seasons but damn
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 07:51 AM 01-03-2018
21 million per year the Royals can afford easily. Quit being pussies. But it's Nighetngale so not holding my breath.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 07:52 AM 01-03-2018
I hope that's just Boras Inc. disinformation.

If it's true, the Royals are insane.
[Reply]
cabletech94 07:53 AM 01-03-2018
Make it happen, Dayton!!!
[Reply]
ChiTown 08:03 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
21 million per year the Royals can afford easily. Quit being pussies. But it's Nighetngale so not holding my breath.
The amount is one thing, but 7 years is another

Not a great idea, IMO, but not my money either, so....
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:05 AM 01-03-2018
He was a 4 WAR guy who was 2nd in the AL in OBP and he's 28. Those guys get paid. 21 isn't that big a number, not anymore.

One caveat: the cable industry is in freefall. I kept telling y'all there's no guarantee at all we will get a big cable deal in 2019, but you don't want to listen
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 08:07 AM 01-03-2018
Well that's a plot twist.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:13 AM 01-03-2018
The royals need a rebuild. They need good picks.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:15 AM 01-03-2018
He was a 4 WAR guy who was 2nd in the AL in OBP and he's 28. Those guys get paid. 21 isn't that big a number, not anymore.

One caveat: the cable industry is in freefall. I kept telling y'all there's no guarantee at all we will get a big cable deal in 2019, but you don't want to listen
the only thing that might save them is these streaming services but thats a long shot. I agree with you though going to be tough to get a great tv contract.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 08:22 AM 01-03-2018
He was a 4 WAR guy for the first time in his career, in a contract year. Those guys get paid? Fine, then let someone else pay for that.

And 21 may not be a big number (although for the Royals I think it is), but seven years definitely is a big one.

Let them all walk and pocket the picks.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 176
« First < 222829303132 333435364282132 > Last »
Up