ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 70
« First < 222829303132 3334353642 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread
DaneMcCloud 08:16 PM 03-06-2016
There's quite a bit of info trickling out so its probably time to start a spoiler thread. I'll update with a trailer when it's available.

Trailer #1. This looks amazing!!! Darth Vader, The Emperor, Jyn (Rey's mother?), Forrest Whitaker, Donnie Yen and Alan Tudyk.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:23 AM 11-30-2016
According to KK, no matter how well Rogue One does at the box office, there will be no Rogue Two.

This is a one-off with this cast.

Also, there are strong hints that Obi Wan may appear in either Episode VIII or IX and maybe both, which is why there's been no spin off to date.

They want to finalize VIII and IX before beginning a new Obi Wan trilogy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:42 AM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
According to KK, no matter how well Rogue One does at the box office, there will be no Rogue Two.

Also, there are strong hints that Obi Wan may appear in either Episode VIII or IX and maybe both, which is why there's been no spin off to date.

They want to finalize VIII and IX before beginning a new Obi Wan trilogy.
Obi Wan has the potential to be an awesome character.

The problem is that by the end of episode IX, won't they be walking over trodden ground? In VII Han said that Luke was re-building the Jedi Order when a student he was training went heywire and destroyed it all. Essentially, Luke was Obi Wan and Kylo was Annikan.

We're about to see exactly how Luke deals with it, yes? And we already saw Luke develop into a Jedi. By the end of Luke's story, they'll have covered most of the story there is to tell for Obi Wan.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:52 AM 11-30-2016

Well yeah

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:18 PM 11-30-2016
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...source=twitter

Rogue One' Writer Tony Gilroy to Make Millions Off Reshoots

The 'Bourne' scribe's pay has grown from $200,000 a week to north of $5 million as work on the Star Wars standalone film expanded to include postproduction and tackling several issues including the ending.

Rogue One might be about a group of rebels absconding with plans for the Death Star, but they aren't the only ones making out like bandits. Tony Gilroy, who was brought in to rewrite and help oversee reshoots for the Gareth Edwards-directed Star Wars film, out Dec. 16, will pocket north of $5 million for his efforts, say sources. Gilroy, writer of several Bourne movies and director of best picture Oscar nominee Michael Clayton, first was brought in to help write dialogue and scenes for Rogue’s reshoots and was being paid $200,000 a week, according to several sources. That figure is fairly normal for a top-tier writer on a big-budget studio film. But as the workload (and the reshoots) expanded, so did Gilroy's time and paycheck.

Gilroy started on Rogue One in June, and by August, he was taking a leading role with Edwards in post production, which lasted well into the fall. The reshoots are said to have tackled several issues in the film, including the ending.

Rogue One, the first "stand-alone" Star Wars movie to deviate from the seven Episodes released from 1977 through 2015, is said to lead straight into the original A New Hope. Separate stand-alone films are planned in alternating years from Episodes, with a Han Solo movie scheduled for 2018 after Episode VIII hits theaters next December.

While the cost of extending Gilroy's work on Rogue One might seem on the high side, that price is a bargain to protect the integrity of the Star Wars brand. Disney paid $4 billion in 2012 to buy Star Wars creator George Lucas' Lucasfilm and its first film after the deal, the JJ Abrams-directed Star Wars: The Force Awakens, made more than $2 billion and jump-started a whole new generation of Star Wars fans.

Disney and Gilroy’s CAA reps declined to comment.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:24 PM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
By the end of Luke's story, they'll have covered most of the story there is to tell for Obi Wan.
I think the implication is that KK and Lucasfilm want to see where Rian Johnson takes the story first, then they can go back and fill in the details with an Obi Wan trilogy. Johnson wrote VIII and has outlined IX but the script isn't complete. Plus, there will likely be input by the creative team and most definitely, Colin Trevorrow on set, so it's the smart move, IMO.

By 2021 or so, Ewan McGregor will be the perfect age to play Obi Wan between the end of ROTS and the beginning of ANH. He's 45 now, so he'll be 50ish when the trilogy would begin filming.

Alec Guinness was 63 years old when ANH filmed, so aging McGregor should be a breeze.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:26 PM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Well yeah

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:01 PM 11-30-2016
Spoiler!
Seems a little too 'Univision Soap Opera' for my tastes but really, Star Wars has always had a fair amount of soap opera in it to begin with....but then blasters and X-Wings.

I'll put up with a lot of shit to see X-Wings kick ass. It's pretty much the same principal that turned a cheesy-ass quasi-chick flick like Top Gun into man fuel.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:09 PM 11-30-2016
Seems a little too 'Univision Soap Opera' for my tastes but really, Star Wars has always had a fair amount of soap opera in it to begin with....but then blasters and X-Wings.
Personally, I'd rather see that connection than Rey being a Skywalker or Solo because I'm pretty much way over everything being about Tatooine and the Skywalker family.

It's a huge galaxy. Let's see some of it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:16 PM 11-30-2016
Personally, I'd rather see that connection than Rey being a Skywalker or Solo because I'm pretty much way over everything being about Tatooine and the Skywalker family.

It's a huge galaxy. Let's see some of it.
But it would take some bending over backwards to make her a Kenobi, and thus make Rey a Kenobi, yes?

I agree with you in principal; seems like this one family and lousy little town planet has a disproportionate influence on an entire galaxy, but is it made that much better by slapping another Kenobi in there?

The number of Jedis that we started with suggests there are quite a few bloodlines of force users and we seem to be stuck in a loop with the same ones.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:56 PM 11-30-2016
But it would take some bending over backwards to make her a Kenobi, and thus make Rey a Kenobi, yes?
Well, I think that's where the Obi Wan trilogy would fill those gaps.

I'm not sure if you watched every episode of The Clone Wars series but it's heavily intimated that Kenobi and Duchess Satine of Mandalore had a "thing". If that was true, Jyn Erso would likely be out of the equation but Rey might not. If Satine gave birth before she was killed, it's possible that Rey is Kenobi's granddaughter.

One of the main reasons why I lean towards this particular theory (instead of Rey being a Skywalker/Solo) is that Rey clearly heard Obi Wan's voice in her "Force Back". One voice was Alec Guinness, the other recorded by Ewan McGregor in post for TFA.

It's one thing for her to hear Luke or Vader in the Force Back, considering they both shared the blue bladed lightsaber but Kenobi's voice makes zero sense, as that was never his lightsaber (although technically, he was in possession of it for 20 years).

Obi-Wan: “Rey.”
Obi-Wan: “These are your first steps.”

I'm not sure how to reconcile Obi Wan's voice in the Force Back, other than to assume they're related somehow.

I agree with you in principal; seems like this one family and lousy little town planet has a disproportionate influence on an entire galaxy, but is it made that much better by slapping another Kenobi in there?

The number of Jedis that we started with suggests there are quite a few bloodlines of force users and we seem to be stuck in a loop with the same ones.
I'm not sure if it's made "better", if Rey is a Kenobi (or Jyn, somehow, for that matter) but it's better than her being a Skywalker Solo, IMO. The idea of Luke training Rey, a Kenobi, has a nice symmetry to the original film, in which Kenobi began Luke's training.

It also seems to me that Disney doesn't want the main saga films to go far outside the wheelhouse (as evidenced by TFA), so there's that.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:02 PM 11-30-2016
The only canonical partnering for a Kenobi offspring would involve Satine Kryze. Who was very dead before the events of rogue one. So the mother we see in the trailer can't be her. And there's Galen Erso. If Jyn is related to Ben, then she'll have to be Luke version two, meaning raised by unrelated parents, ten or fifteen years before Luke.

I think the only way Rey is a Kenobi, based on events we've seen, is if Satine had a child in secret without Obi-wan's knowledge. Maybe there's a Mandalorean connection with the Ersos. But that would seem awfully convenient. Forced. And not really in characterer with Satine. So I'm guessing it's something else.

Hell, even though I support the Kenobi theory I still don't know how we get there. It seems like such a stretch for him to go down the same relationship path as Anakin without either recognizing what was happening with his padewan or learning from it himself.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:15 PM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Hell, even though I support the Kenobi theory I still don't know how we get there. It seems like such a stretch for him to go down the same relationship path as Anakin without either recognizing what was happening with his padewan or learning from it himself.
There's only a few ways to get there.

1. Lyra Erso is Kenobi's sister, sires Jyn and through who knows how, Rey is in the bloodline.
2. Obi Wan had an affair with Satine, who gave birth before she was killed.
3. Obi Wan, no longer a Jedi, met a woman on Tatooine in the years before ANH, who gave birth to Rey's father or grandfather.

That's all I've got but it's difficult for me to believe that Obi Wan was a monk for 20 years in the dessert in a time when it wasn't required for him to be a monk. I suppose the only other connection could be that Rey is somehow related to Qui-Gon, who always spoke about "The Living Force". But as much as I loved that character and wished we'd seen more of him, that's a pretty big stretch.

All of that said, I find it telling that KK and Lucasfilm aren't preceding with the Obi Wan trilogy until after Episode IX is in the can. They don't want to tell a story that might need to be changed.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:03 PM 11-30-2016
I don't think it could have happened later on Tatooine. That is to say continuing the line to Rey. Wouldn't be enough time for two generations.

I took the wait on the obi-wan trilogy the same as you did, though. It just screamed 'Rey Kenobi' to me.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:08 PM 11-30-2016

It also seems to me that Disney doesn't want the main saga films to go far outside the wheelhouse (as evidenced by TFA), so there's that.
I haven't kept up much lately but wasn't most of the early word on ep 8 about how different it was from anything before, at least in script stage?

Obviously they changed a lot with r1 to Disney it up, but I think that was mostly total changes to a darker movie.

Unfortunately.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:48 PM 12-01-2016
First clip featuring Giacchino's score

[Reply]
Page 32 of 70
« First < 222829303132 3334353642 > Last »
Up