ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 319 of 386
« First < 219269309315316317318319 320321322323329369 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
Bowser 10:59 AM 05-13-2019
The actors this season have just nailed it, every single one of them. We can all agree that this thing has rushed this season, but they've all given fantastic performances with the limited script they've had to work with. The acting, the visuals, the battle sequences - all top freaking notch. The story....well....they just ran out of time, really.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 11:00 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
I don't have a problem with Dany carpet bombing Kings Landing. As she said herself all she had was fear, why not play into that and give them an example of what to be afraid of.
Because she removed the option of submission. She has guaranteed that everyone will fight her to the death because she has proven to not accept surrender.

She us impulsive and stupid so at least her character stayed that way.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:03 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by BlackOp:

Was the attempted rape scene necessary?...seemed like the last thing a soldier would be doing in the heat of battle...maybe after but not then.
There were multiple accounts of women getting raped by over 30 different Soviet soldiers during the Battle for Berlin in WW2. When all hell breaks loose and the rule of law is gone, we really see the depravity that humanity is capable of. Rape is something that's unfortunately and quite tragically embedded in our histories during the sacks of cities.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:03 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
The actors this season have just nailed it, every single one of them. We can all agree that this thing has rushed this season, but they've all given fantastic performances with the limited script they've had to work with. The acting, the visuals, the battle sequences - all top freaking notch. The story....well....they just ran out of time, really.
Yes. Emilia in particular
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:06 AM 05-13-2019
Was the attempted rape scene necessary?...seemed like the last thing a soldier would be doing in the heat of battle...maybe after but not then.

Was Crazy boatman's timing of being washed ashore...in the very spot where Jamie is entering the bowels of the castle, believable? No...it takes the viewer completely out of the scene.
Well for the invading forces, the battle effectively WAS over. They were in the rout at that point. And the concept of 'blood lust' has been well documented. Yeah, soldiers have historically done heinous things to women in places they've conquered, even as the defeated soldiers were still bleeding out. For their part, that battle was all but done.

Euron...[sigh]...yeah, everything Euron has had a hand in has been silly. And because of how poorly his character has been used, we're all just annoyed anytime he shows up. Yeah, him just happening to be on the right beach at the right time with nobody else from his entire armada floating up with him was annoying as hell. I that there was little use in that apart from strictly a plot device designed to get Jaime a W via 1 on 1 combat without his hand. We haven't seen a real W with him since Vargo took his hand so maybe that was why they did it.

But sure - better avenue would've been to just have Drogon roast his ass and Jaime get to the maproom otherwise healthy. From a purely entertainment standpoint, I didn't mind Jaime getting a final fight for his sister's honor in there. But from a storytelling perspective that was admittedly ham-fisted.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:10 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It really doesn't.

She was demure when she had no power. And she was a 'breaker of chains' when Mereen rose up WITH her. But anyone that hasn't been with her (or hell, anyone who's simply been indifferent towards her), has been against her for the entirety of her rise.

This decision is completely within character for her and she NOTED that in her conversation with Tyrion. The showrunners did an excellent job of hitting that note but not hitting it so hard that it was a fait accompli as she sat there on the edge of the sitting with Drogon pegged against the rev-limiter. By doing what they did, there was genuine suspense building up. Is she gonna drop that clutch and tear shit up or is she gonna come off the gas and cool down.

We didn't know. We couldn't have known because for everything B&W did poorly - they did her character extremely well in that regard. That could've gone either direction and we could've pointed at reasoning for it.

She has NEVER been the benevolent wallflower so many people are now portraying her as. Left to her own devices, she'd destroy anyone that stood in her path. And when she drew a line between the citizens of Kings Landing who were going to Cersei and seeking shelter rather than rising up to help her (again, a line drawn by dozens of real-life despots), the die had been cast. As noted - when a Targaryen is born, the Gods flip a coin...

And now we see how it landed. But everything that happened there works if considered fairly, IMO.
Yup. She would have taken an even more brutal stance against the masters and khals if she wasn't talked down. She toasted the tarleys against tyrions advice. She's already questioning the advice she's getting, now she has the olenna "be the dragon" seed planted in her brain to ignore the clever ones and just attack.

But because she was doing it for a just cause... Because it was working in helping her grow her army... Because it was all to earn loyalty... It was easy to apologize for her actions. And even still... Its not just pure madness, there are still enough reasons to justify what she did. It reminds me of how hard it was for people to hate Walter white even despite the terrible things he does late in the series. Breaking bad never made that hard pivot on ww the way GoT is now doing with daenerys so that makes this all the more interesting.

The setup was rushed. But Im shocked people think this was an absolute 180. Very interesting point that this didn't seem to surprise those who hated or were neutral about Dany.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:15 AM 05-13-2019

There is also the element of "suspension of disbelief"...where the character, no matter the scenario, reacts is a realistic manner...Cersie telling the Mountain to stand by her side to protect her from the Hound...and after he disobeys....what does she do? Walks right past her "protection" into certain death...and the Hound does nothing.
You're freakin' way off here. The Hound made the trip to King's Landing for one sole purpose, and that was to fight his brother. He was not there for Cersi. He could give a damn about Cersi. His story has nothing to do with Cersi. Cersi continued past The Mountain when it became apparent that he was no longer offering protection and a willingness to obey, but instead intended on fighting the Hound. Cersi had no control there. He was not there to defend her any longer.

That's a piss ass example.

Uhhm, it's totally necessary and has always been part of GoT. Do you not remember all the stories of rape when the Mad King was overthrown? Oberyn's sister getting raped? Hello? On top of that, it was a scene designed to demonstrate the chaos and anarchy. It totally fit. WTF are you talking about.

Was Crazy boatman's timing of being washed ashore...in the very spot where Jamie is entering the bowels of the castle, believable? No...it takes the viewer completely out of the scene.
Yeah that i agree with. Your other two complaints seem like a personal issue on your part as you seem to lack an understanding of the show and its characters, rather than being poorly done by the show. That's why i find some of these complaints ridiculous.
[Reply]
God of Thunder 11:17 AM 05-13-2019
Also - bear in mind - in the house of the undead in Season 2/3/whatever - she goes into the house of the undead to rescue the dragons. She sees the thrown room with what looked like snow - then she meets Drogo and the baby.

We now know this is Ash and a foreshowing of Dany's impending doom.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:18 AM 05-13-2019
Well for the invading forces, the battle effectively WAS over. They were in the rout at that point. And the concept of 'blood lust' has been well documented. Yeah, soldiers have historically done heinous things to women in places they've conquered, even as the defeated soldiers were still bleeding out. For their part, that battle was all but done.

Euron...[sigh]...yeah, everything Euron has had a hand in has been silly. And because of how poorly his character has been used, we're all just annoyed anytime he shows up. Yeah, him just happening to be on the right beach at the right time with nobody else from his entire armada floating up with him was annoying as hell. I that there was little use in that apart from strictly a plot device designed to get Jaime a W via 1 on 1 combat without his hand. We haven't seen a real W with him since Vargo took his hand so maybe that was why they did it.

But sure - better avenue would've been to just have Drogon roast his ass and Jaime get to the maproom otherwise healthy. From a purely entertainment standpoint, I didn't mind Jaime getting a final fight for his sister's honor in there. But from a storytelling perspective that was admittedly ham-fisted.
The whole Jaime thing in this episode was a miss. Everything from Euron's timing to Jaime's inability to die from what looked like critical wounds.

That and the Scorpion's complete inability to hit a dragon after having pinpoint accuracy last episode.

Those would be my only two complaints of episode 5. And they're fairly minor points.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:20 AM 05-13-2019

TV Euron has to be one of the worst main antagonists of all time.
[Reply]
God of Thunder 11:22 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by God of Thunder:
Also - bear in mind - in the house of the undead in Season 2/3/whatever - she goes into the house of the undead to rescue the dragons. She sees the thrown room with what looked like snow - then she meets Drogo and the baby.

We now know this is Ash and a foreshowing of Dany's impending doom.
And even furthermore - Jason Momoa visited the set of GoT while shooting, there was pictures he posted online. Therefore its likely they were filming a death scene for her and him.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 11:22 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Sarcasm.
TY
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:25 AM 05-13-2019
And even furthermore - Jason Momoa visited the set of GoT while shooting, there was pictures he posted online. Therefore its likely they were filming a death scene for her and him.
I'm thinking that was probably for the documentary that's airing after Episode 6 - but we'll see.
[Reply]
Pogue 11:28 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
There were multiple accounts of women getting raped by over 30 different Soviet soldiers during the Battle for Berlin in WW2. When all hell breaks loose and the rule of law is gone, we really see the depravity that humanity is capable of. Rape is something that's unfortunately and quite tragically embedded in our histories during the sacks of cities.
Right. The raping of Nanking was gruesome, probably the most gruesome battle in history. The Japanese were vicious, and the word vicious probably doesn’t describe what they did properly.

Watch the movie “Flowers of war” starring Christian Bale.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:29 AM 05-13-2019
And even furthermore - Jason Mamoa visited the set of GoT while shooting, there was pictures he posted online. Therefore its likely they were filming a death scene for her and him.
Yeah, Dany is dunzo.

The denouement is the only question left at this point. I'd be surprised if Dany survives the first 40 minutes of this last episode.

Someone referred to Jon's "Ned Honor" and yeah, that's gonna be the big plot driver for the final conflict there. As Jon's standing amidst the flames in Kings Landing with Aerys stockpiles of wildfyre hidden beneath the city going off all around him, I feel like the final piece was set into motion.

Jon's gonna kill her or go down trying. And with King's Landing in ruins, we KNOW he's not gonna stick around for that shitshow.

If Tyrion survives this shit somehow, I think he's the one that ends up tasked with the rebuilding. Will that mean bringing the 7 Kingdoms back together? I suspect not - that ship has sailed. But with his temperament and his affinity for southern Westeros, he's the last man standing with the chops/desire for the job.

And ultimately I think we see the whole continent simply splinter. Dany broke the wheel, just not as she intended.
[Reply]
Page 319 of 386
« First < 219269309315316317318319 320321322323329369 > Last »
Up